What are Upgrades worth?

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Kbb or edmunds plus the price you paid for the mods is what you will split if you keep it.
It's your Jeep so keep it and pay her half back, you both paid for the mods so pay her half back too. Everything else works the same way as well so its all fair and both of your lawyers will agree easily on this.
Anything else is just "Bar Talk" and we have quite a bit of that here for sure.
"I've been divorced a zillion times and....." obviously we should have some serious problems just listening to advice from them right there at the beginning as this is what they take pride in 🥺
Man Up and split it fair and take the high road on this and every endeavor
Sponsored

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

Kbb or edmunds plus the price you paid for the mods is what you will split if you keep it.
By this logic, both paid for the Jeep also so it should be full price of the Jeep - not KBB or Edmunds.

Point here is to try and figure out current market value, which is fair. I don't think OP was trying to put one over on anyone.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
And yet he first clearly said:
"I content that if I sold the Jeep today, the value would be zero. My soon to be ex believes the value is what I paid for the parts."
He clearly is trying to pull something over on her in stating that all the crap he spent all of the money they worked hard for is worthless and yet he mysteriously wants to keep it all for free.
Since he clearly has no intention of selling his Jeep but keeping it then he is the buyer and he has already paid all that money as he clearly believed it was all worth a lot so claiming the value is suddenly zero is certainly a delusional argument he knows is false.
Lawyers will go through this and if tries to make idiotic arguments he'll get eaten up for sure
He’s probably significantly more correct than full value. And his argument is sound.

Realistically, they’ll both get fucked by the lawyers and lose more to them than the value of the parts regardless.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
For those that suggested that each party simply keep their own vehicle, the challenge is that the vehicles may have disparate values. If I drive a Bentley and my wife drives a Yugo, some truing up would be necessary to ensure that the pie is split equitably.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
For those that suggested that each party simply keep their own vehicle, the challenge is that the vehicles may have disparate values. If I drive a Bentley and my wife drives a Yugo, some truing up would be necessary to ensure that the pie is split equitably.
If you drive a Bentley and you stick your wife to driving a Yugo... no wonder your marriage is in trouble - lol 🤣

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If you drive a Bentley and you stick your wife to driving a Yugo... no wonder your marriage is in trouble - lol 🤣
I'm surprised that people still remember the Yugo. They self-destructed faster than even the Pinto/Vega. :)

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
My perspective - I drive by local car dealerships in my area all the time and take note of the Jeeps on their lots. In particular, I notice the well-modified used ones that they are trying to resell, and I don’t ever see them sit for long. Usually not more than a week, and they are gone. One Hyundai dealership near me that I pass often (on the way to the golf course) always has modded wranglers they took on trade for sale, and they always turn them quickly.

Bottom line - If your mods are decent quality and your jeep isn’t too “over the top”, there is definitely a healthy resale market out there for it. 👍

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It's your Jeep so keep it and pay her half back, you both paid for the mods so pay her half back too. Everything else works the same way as well so its all fair and both of your lawyers will agree easily on this.
Anything else is just "Bar Talk" and we have quite a bit of that here for sure.
"I've been divorced a zillion times and....." obviously we should have some serious problems just listening to advice from them right there at the beginning as this is what they take pride in 🥺
Man Up and split it fair and take the high road on this and every endeavor
This is true IF they both paid for it. We aren’t sure how their finances are setup. A lot people in marriages are adamant about what they each spend their money on. He could’ve paid for his Jeep via his own funds alone.

- If they both paid for it then, yes, he could keep it and pay her half, if she doesn’t have a vehicle comparable to his
- if she has a vehicle around equal value, then he should keep his and she should keep hers. No loss there. No brawl.

Again, not really our business tho. I just hope they walk away unscathed and at peace with their decision and to keep a mutual respect for each other.

Otherwise, it’s a burden carried for them both.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
The times they are a changin' at the ol' Moosie house.

Getting a divorce, and I am trying to understand the value of upgrades.

I content that if I sold the Jeep today, the value would be zero. My soon to be ex believes the value is what I paid for the parts.

Answer is probably somewhere in the middle. What do y'all think?
This is an age old debate...the answer depends on the buyer. If you're trading it in, upgrades count exactly zero, even negative value. If you're selling to an enthusiast, they are worth at least half what you paid for them, depending on condition and if they are tasteful. Number goes up if the install was difficult.
Enjoy your freedom, good luck.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
The times they are a changin' at the ol' Moosie house.

Getting a divorce, and I am trying to understand the value of upgrades.

I content that if I sold the Jeep today, the value would be zero. My soon to be ex believes the value is what I paid for the parts.

Answer is probably somewhere in the middle. What do y'all think?
Lately I see heavily modded jeeps going for less than unmods, just saying. 5 years ago I traded a 2 inch lifted in for a little under what an unmodded jeep would fetch. Except winches, you might get $500 more for them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I think this thread has probably jumped the shark. All I was looking for was perspective on the question, feel like I got it. Much appreciated.

I mis stated the initial post as "sell and value is zero" I meant the add ons. I also said the value is somewhere between zero and purchase price.

Doesn't matter anyway. Appreciate the opinions and thoughts, especially the ones saying get some 3rd party analysis. That's good counsel.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I think this thread has probably jumped the shark. All I was looking for was perspective on the question, feel like I got it. Much appreciated.

I mis stated the initial post as "sell and value is zero" I meant the add ons. I also said the value is somewhere between zero and purchase price.

Doesn't matter anyway. Appreciate the opinions and thoughts, especially the ones saying get some 3rd party analysis. That's good counsel.
Yes, the correct answer here is have it appraised by a certified appraiser. Shouldn't cost that much.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
If they are quality upgrades, and not ebay junk (this can include bumpers), then expect them to add 25% of their realistic cost (not inflated msrp some manufacturers use) if they are installed. If you take the time to remove them and sell them seperately, expect 50-60%.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I don't know of any dealer or resaler who will give anything for mods/upgrades. When I traded my JK in on my JL, the dealer gave me the trade in price and flat out told me, your trade in value is based on the options on the vehicle from the factory not any modifications. They told me if I wanted to, I could take every modification off that I wanted as long as it was put back in factory condition with the parts removed. I did exactly that, taking it to a friends offroad shop and telling folks in my Jeep club that they could make me offers on anything on my Jeep as long as they either took it off, paid the shop to do it and replaced anything that replaced a stock part with an actual stock part. I took my jeep in for trade in with a mix of parts from other peoples jeeps and got back a little bit of the money I spent.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Sell it to a good friend, for next to nothing. When the divorce is finalized, buy it back at same price, or a little more,. I've seen people do this.
Sponsored