Sponsored

What are these?

Deleted member 53226

So:

What happens if you are not the type of person to look under your Jeep and you have these leaking (Rear main seal - i don't even know what that is lol) slowly over time?

What would happen to the Jeep eventually?
Nothing. As long as its the usual very slow leak (i.e. one or two drips per week on the driveway), the Jeep will go 200,000 miles without ever fixing it. In fact, it will get so gunked up from oil and road dirt it will form sort of a gasket and slow the leak down.

I kid you not. Ask any TJ owner. I had a TJ with 160K miles and a RMS leak its entire life. Ran like a champ. I never even missed the maybe 1/8 quart of oil I lost between oil changes.
Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

It gets worst and worst. At least for the 4.0, oil ends up on the exhaust and starts smoking. Large puddles of oil form under the engine wherever you park it. When you drive it drips and you constantly smell oil burning or you see a trail of it as you drive. And as you may guess, low (or no) oil in the engine isn't the best thing.
Darn, you and I had totally different 4.0 RMS oil leak experiences! I guess it depends on how bad the leak. I just posted my TJ experience and I never fixed mine, and rode on for 100,000 miles with no issue!

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
LOL ... I just did the RMS in my daughter's '04 Rubicon two weekends ago. It has 135K on it. I never thought it was too bad, but the wife was upset about the oil dripping in the driveway. Plus, the cats were the wrong ones for it and they rubbed on the axles when they tucked ... so it was a long day under the Jeep.

-Tom

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Yep, spoke to service manager this morning about it. He also stated that they would only repair it this 1 time under warranty as Jeeps are not designed to drive through mud or water that would touch axles!
Tell them yours do not touch anything, just overspray from wheels on muddy road. Big tires are just there to impress dudes at Walmart.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Ok, basic question. Where exactly are those plugs located (I can't quite tell from the pic)? Are they on the side between the trans and engine, bottom same are, etc? On the 2.0, are they easiest to see by crawling under just behind the front tires, etc?:blush:

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
Ok, basic question. Where exactly are those plugs located (I can't quite tell from the pic)? Are they on the side between the trans and engine, bottom same are, etc? On the 2.0, are they easiest to see by crawling under just behind the front tires, etc?:blush:
you should get comfortable crawling around under ther and explore it

then when the bear comes that is where you hide :)

OP
OP

Jeeptj1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sahara unlimited
Not sure on the 2.0 but sounds like the same place as the 3.6.

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm not sure about the 2.0. On the 3.6L, if you crawl underneath the jeep, they are where the transmission gets mated to the engine. It's kind of right behind the oil drain pan (towards the back of the jeep). On the 4.0, they're in the same area, but there's no inspection holes.

I would guess the 2.0 is similar, since pretty much every vehicle has this. :)

I'm attaching a picture of mine. You can see the oil pan (in black), then the drain plug for the oil pan, then right behind that are those plugs.

20210328_144055.jpg

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
maybe it will force others to stop complaining about these issues and just fix the problem.
Let me rephrase... maybe it will force other dealers to stop complaining that there are no issues and just fix the problem.

I didn't want that to be taken out of context.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had oil there and was beginning to pool inside, turned out to be rear upper oil pan gasket leak. 2021 3.6 etorque.
Damn you’ve already had issues on your 2021 3.6 eTorque? I got one of those in September.

21Rubi

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 3.6 Auto, 315's, 2.5 MC Lift
Occupation
Retired
Damn you’ve already had issues on your 2021 3.6 eTorque? I got one of those in September.
Took delivery of Jeep on Thursday, Dec. 10th. Noticed leak on Saturday, returned to dealership Monday Dec. 14th. They repaired it and I got the Jeep back Monday afternoon.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
That's a lie. Open up the back door and point at the the Jeep Badge that has the water tread. Goes past the axles. lmfao

Jeep dealers are a joke.
Same exact thing I was going to say!
Sponsored