What are these?

Jeeptj1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sahara unlimited
What are these and should they be leaking a couple of drops? Thanks.

A4C5D031-A292-45BB-9D49-5E29DD940220.jpeg
Sponsored

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Those are inspection hole plugs, and like stated above ^^^ they should be dry. Unfortunately, it is a sign of a possible rear mani seal leak. have it checked out.

OP
OP

Jeeptj1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sahara unlimited
Those are inspection hole plugs, and like stated above ^^^ they should be dry. Unfortunately, it is a sign of a possible rear mani seal leak. have it checked out.
Thanks man that sucks . 27,000 miles.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
How bad are they leaking, and what does the liquid smell like?

I have a 21 JLUR with about 300 miles on it. I noticed the bolts looked a little suspect and took a close look at that area. I pulled the plugs out and it looks like there was some sort of grease around there. When I stuck my finger in the inspection hole, it feels oily/greasy, but it definitely does not smell like motor oil. It had more of a lightweight grease smell to it, almost like axle grease. It was also colorless. Also, nothing was pooled on the bottom, just a thin layer towards the transmission side of the flywheel.

If it smells like motor oil, it's probably the rear main seal. I would be curious to hear if it has a smell to it.

EDIT: btw, those plugs pop out and are put back really easily. Just pull them out and use your thumb in the middle to pop them back in.

Sponsored

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just had same problem diagnosed and confirmed this morning from dealer and it turn out to be a rear main seal failure. 11k. Miles. Dealer states the cause is mud getting in thru transmission case plugs.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had same problem diagnosed and confirmed this morning from dealer and it turn out to be a rear main seal failure. 11k. Miles. Dealer states the cause is mud getting in thru transmission case plugs.
I'm confused and just wanted to clarify. Your dealer said that mud is getting in through those plugs and causing a rear main seal failure?

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused and just wanted to clarify. Your dealer said that mud is getting in through those plugs and causing a rear main seal failure?
Yep, spoke to service manager this morning about it. He also stated that they would only repair it this 1 time under warranty as Jeeps are not designed to drive through mud or water that would touch axles!

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Yep, spoke to service manager this morning about it. He also stated that they would only repair it this 1 time under warranty as Jeeps are not designed to drive through mud or water that would touch axles!
That's a lie. Open up the back door and point at the the Jeep Badge that has the water tread. Goes past the axles. lmfao

Jeep dealers are a joke.

OP
OP

Jeeptj1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sahara unlimited
How bad are they leaking, and what does the liquid smell like?

I have a 21 JLUR with about 300 miles on it. I noticed the bolts looked a little suspect and took a close look at that area. I pulled the plugs out and it looks like there was some sort of grease around there. When I stuck my finger in the inspection hole, it feels oily/greasy, but it definitely does not smell like motor oil. It had more of a lightweight grease smell to it, almost like axle grease. It was also colorless. Also, nothing was pooled on the bottom, just a thin layer towards the transmission side of the flywheel.

If it smells like motor oil, it's probably the rear main seal. I would be curious to hear if it has a smell to it.

EDIT: btw, those plugs pop out and are put back really easily. Just pull them out and use your thumb in the middle to pop them back in.
Not hardly leaking but a couple of drops every now and then it seems. Didn’t smell the fluid so not sure. Will check it later.

Sponsored

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That's a lie. Open up the back door and point at the the Jeep Badge that has the water tread. Goes past the axles. lmfao

Jeep dealers are a joke.
Wasnt going to argue with the dealer as my Jeep has already been there for a week and will be there until late monday or tuesday at the earliest.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not hardly leaking but a couple of drops every now and then it seems. Didn’t smell the fluid so not sure. Will check it later.
Please keep us updated. I know you have a lot more miles on yours, but I'm wondering if there was some sort of rust prevention that was on the parts causing my weird stain and the inside be a little grease.

I just checked it again today and really nothing's changed. It still is a bit grease inside of those plugs, colorless, and now it doesn't have a smell anymore.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Any oil stains where it’s parked? If it’s a main you should be seeing oil stains on the garage floor.
Sponsored