Sponsored

What are these?

Deleted member 53226

What are these and should they be leaking a couple of drops? Thanks.

A4C5D031-A292-45BB-9D49-5E29DD940220.jpeg
Those are called "Regret Holes". They cause instant regret at paying $50K plus for a Jeep. They also serve to remind some of us old-timers that Jeep never fixed the rear main seal issue that has plagued Wranglers since at least the 90's. Yep, 30+ years of engineering evolution and this one still leaks. Jeep used to use a two piece rubber seal which inevitably leaked. The only upside it was relatively easy to change out once you dropped the bottom engine case oil pan. I haven't checked but I would bet they still use the same two piece seal to this day.

Jeep put the new Regret Holes onto the newer JL's so you can have a more convenient way to monitor your rear main seal leak. Used to be the rear main seal leak on older jeeps could be monitored by getting your flashlight and looking up at the gap between trans and engine. It would get all oily and gunky up there.

RMS never leaks a ton. Just a slow drip that sometimes never makes it onto ground.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeeptj1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sahara unlimited
Those are called "Regret Holes". They cause instant regret at paying $50K plus for a Jeep. They also serve to remind some of us old-timers that Jeep never fixed the rear main seal issue that has plagued Wranglers since at least the 90's. Yep, 30+ years of engineering evolution and this one still leaks. Jeep used to use a two piece rubber seal which inevitably leaked. The only upside it was relatively easy to change out once you dropped the bottom engine case oil pan. I haven't checked but I would bet they still use the same two piece seal to this day.

Jeep put the new Regret Holes onto the newer JL's so you can have a more convenient way to monitor your rear main seal leak. Used to be the rear main seal leak on older jeeps could be monitored by getting your flashlight and looking up at the gap between trans and engine. It would get all oily and gunky up there.

RMS never leaks a ton. Just a slow drip that sometimes never makes it onto ground.
Lol. regret holes. I like that.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Thanks man that sucks . 27,000 miles.
its a couple day fix. mine went out at 5K. dealer was able to get the new part within a couple days and i have not had any issue since. 16K now

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
So:

What happens if you are not the type of person to look under your Jeep and you have these leaking (Rear main seal - i don't even know what that is lol) slowly over time?

What would happen to the Jeep eventually?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
So:

What happens if you are not the type of person to look under your Jeep and you have these leaking (Rear main seal - i don't even know what that is lol) slowly over time?

What would happen to the Jeep eventually?
It gets worst and worst. At least for the 4.0, oil ends up on the exhaust and starts smoking. Large puddles of oil form under the engine wherever you park it. When you drive it drips and you constantly smell oil burning or you see a trail of it as you drive. And as you may guess, low (or no) oil in the engine isn't the best thing.

Sponsored

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So:

What would happen to the Jeep eventually

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yep, spoke to service manager this morning about it. He also stated that they would only repair it this 1 time under warranty as Jeeps are not designed to drive through mud or water that would touch axles!
Why stop there?
Why not just tell you these Jeeps are not designed to be taken off-road.

These stealerships are pathetic.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why stop there?
Why not just tell you these Jeeps are not designed to be taken off-road.

These stealerships are pathetic.
I don't know if this already exists....but we do have a thread for preferred area dealers when purchasing. Can we start a subforum for preferred dealer repair shops? If the jeep community starts taking their vehicles to off-road friendly dealers for repairs, maybe it will force others to stop complaining about these issues and just fix the problem.

*EDIT: Let me rephrase that last sentence... maybe it will force other dealers to stop complaining about these issues and just fix the problem. I have a feeling that it could had been viewed as something else after I re-read it.

Last edited:

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
I don't know if this already exists....but we do have a thread for preferred area dealers when purchasing. Can we start a subforum for preferred dealer repair shops? If the jeep community starts taking their vehicles to off-road friendly dealers for repairs, maybe it will force others to stop complaining about these issues and just fix the problem.
That’s a good idea, why don’t you start it ? I’d love to add to it, but I haven’t found a dealership that I trust or that I think should belong on the good list. I’d be interested to see if there are any around.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a good idea, why don’t you start it ? I’d love to add to it, but I haven’t found a dealership that I trust or that I think should belong on the good list. I’d be interested to see if there are any around.
Maybe I will.... I've always done work on my cars so I've never brought it anywhere. Being that I have a new JLU now, it would be nice to know which dealerships are better than others.

Sponsored

21Rubi

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 3.6 Auto, 315's, 2.5 MC Lift
Occupation
Retired
What are these and should they be leaking a couple of drops? Thanks.

A4C5D031-A292-45BB-9D49-5E29DD940220.jpeg
I had oil there and was beginning to pool inside, turned out to be rear upper oil pan gasket leak. 2021 3.6 etorque.

Last edited:

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Those are inspection hole plugs, and like stated above ^^^ they should be dry. Unfortunately, it is a sign of a possible rear mani seal leak. have it checked out.
Agree, looks like the seal is leaking. No idea what that crap is unless it's grease. Does it wipe off?

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door
Yep, spoke to service manager this morning about it. He also stated that they would only repair it this 1 time under warranty as Jeeps are not designed to drive through mud or water that would touch axles!
That's total bs! Next time your there open the rear door and point at the 30" inch deep water plaque that the factory put there!
Sponsored