Sponsored

Warn Zeon 8S + Camping

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Keep in mind the full capacity of the winch is only available when you have the minimum necessary wraps on the spindle for winching. As you add more wraps of cable to the spindle on the winch the capacity declines. This is why some people prefer to run shorter cables/ropes and use winch extensions so the winch maintains its optimum torque.
Exactly....this is why I cut my Warn rope into a 35ft/65ft setup. Here in AZ, most winching points are within about 50ft and I can add my 35ft piece if needed and use a snatch block (I always carry 2).
Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I did get the wireless remote. The issue with it is that it has battery bleed. I have tested mine several times, fully charged will go dead in just a little over a month. It still works if it is plugged to USB port. Not really an issue for me. There is also a permanent fix by adding a switch to the battery and will stay charged for months. Warn is sending me another battery for a spare. On the non platinum you can purchase the wireless adapter and use your phone as the remote via bluetooth.
I will have to look into this it will be cool to have that option right from my iPhone.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Keep in mind the full capacity of the winch is only available when you have the minimum necessary wraps on the spindle for winching. As you add more wraps of cable to the spindle on the winch the capacity declines. This is why some people prefer to run shorter cables/ropes and use winch extensions so the winch maintains its optimum torque.
I have a lot to learn about recovery. The good news is everyone on this forum has been tremendously helpful and I’ve learned so much in nine months. This will be the next thing I gain knowledge regarding as doing it correctly could mean getting out of a bad situation or making it worse.

would you say just watching YouTube videos, asking questions here, and then practicing myself is the best method to learn?

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I have a lot to learn about recovery. The good news is everyone on this forum has been tremendously helpful and I’ve learned so much in nine months. This will be the next thing I gain knowledge regarding as doing it correctly could mean getting out of a bad situation or making it worse.

would you say just watching YouTube videos, asking questions here, and then practicing myself is the best method to learn?
Honestly I'm still waiting on my Wrangler to be delivered. One of my favorite channels on youtube is "The Story Till Now." Learned a lot from him and he goes to some very picturesque locations. Also watched quite a few "Epic Family Road Trip" videos on youtube.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Honestly I'm still waiting on my Wrangler to be delivered. One of my favorite channels on youtube is "The Story Till Now." Learned a lot from him and he goes to some very picturesque locations. Also watched quite a few "Epic Family Road Trip" videos on youtube.
Nice first Wrangler or first JL? Yeah I know his channel. Good stuff.

Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I did get the wireless remote. The issue with it is that it has battery bleed. I have tested mine several times, fully charged will go dead in just a little over a month. It still works if it is plugged to USB port. Not really an issue for me. There is also a permanent fix by adding a switch to the battery and will stay charged for months. Warn is sending me another battery for a spare. On the non platinum you can purchase the wireless adapter and use your phone as the remote via bluetooth.
Funny you have mentioned that. I have a Zeon 12s Platinum on my truck, and honestly not surprised that nothing has changed with it over the years. I put it in 2016/17ish. Needless to say, I agree with you that it's not that big of a deal for me. I just do my best to either remember to charge the night before I leave and keep an eye out, or plug it in to charge on the road at the start of a trip. I am impressed that it still charges fine and hasn't failed for it sitting in my center console its whole life. I skipped the option when I added a winch to the Jeep. I only need the wireless portion on the truck since the winch is encased by the bumper where as the the Jeep I have plenty of room to access it. Technology is great, but sometimes there is nothing wrong with getting out and plugging in a controller and turning the knob.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

Your best bet would be going to a dedicated vehicle recovery class, where you can get hands-on instruction. I'm sure there are qualified instructors in California.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Your best bet would be going to a dedicated vehicle recovery class, where you can get hands-on instruction. I'm sure there are qualified instructors in California.
That actually sounds like fun. Once I get my 392 and I have everything installed I will book something but I’ll begin looking now.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Thanks everyone. Got my parts ordered for Jeep that won’t be here until mid August. :) Got the Maximus 3 and Zeon 12-S

F1D31DA1-CB49-4169-8374-F1CA739D67A0.jpeg

3C32C96A-B8EF-499A-B503-4FCE35F9EEFC.jpeg
I would also recommend the Maximus-3 filler plates for a more finished look.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have a platinum and iirc I did some lithium battery research that suggested storing between 50-80% capacity and not letting it drop below 20. Also, freezing temps…keep the remote warm.

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I got my platinum new/unopened from a person who wanted a smaller rock crawler winch and I saved $300. Those damn batteries aren’t prohibitively expensive but they sure are not able to be directly substituted with another brand! If there’s that much of a problem with EVERYBODY’S (Is it everybody?) remote batteries draining down, I wonder why Warn even bothers to sell them when there’s the wireless kit for the regular Zeon?

Last edited:
OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I would also recommend the Maximus-3 filler plates for a more finished look.
Separate piece that doesn’t come with it?

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I would have recommended the 10s over the 12s. The 12 is slower than the 10, all they do is change the gearing for the extra capacity and that slows it down. On top of that you need to make sure your mounting situation can handle more than the winches' pull force (some of those winch plates are not rated for 12k - Maximus3 is rated for 12k though). I tow and have a diesel JL so weight is around the same and went thru the same issue and my contacts at Warn recommended the 10s to me. But the times I get really stuck I'm usually not towing, when I get stuck towing it is not knee deep mud/snow. You will find the people who really know winching will recommend a much lower capacity winch than you'd expect.

Also would recommend getting a factor55 hawse fairlead if you're going to buy one, the 1.5in is thicker than the warn one and will provide a better radius for the synthetic line.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I would have recommended the 10s over the 12s. The 12 is slower than the 10, all they do is change the gearing for the extra capacity and that slows it down. On top of that you need to make sure your mounting situation can handle more than the winches' pull force (some of those winch plates are not rated for 12k - Maximus3 is rated for 12k though). I tow and have a diesel JL so weight is around the same and went thru the same issue and my contacts at Warn recommended the 10s to me. But the times I get really stuck I'm usually not towing, when I get stuck towing it is not knee deep mud/snow. You will find the people who really know winching will recommend a much lower capacity winch than you'd expect.

Also would recommend getting a factor55 hawse fairlead if you're going to buy one, the 1.5in is thicker than the warn one and will provide a better radius for the synthetic line.
Wow! I’m learning so much. I really appreciate the info. They already shipped the winch though. I’m just using the factory steel bumper, Maximus 3 sitting on the 392 suspension.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
They already shipped the winch though.
You're going to continue to get a variety of opinions on this thread as folks see it and "weigh in." I wouldn't sweat it. With a trailer, the 12 is probably the right call.
Sponsored