WARN VS vs ZEON

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So in the intervening ~3 years are we supposed to believe that Warn re-engineered their Chinese manufacturing and assembly process to upgrade the VR to be completely IP68 or that the fine folks in Marketing re-worded their description to make it appear the entire unit is IP68? I have no info either way but I know which way I'd lean.
They completely updated and upgraded the VRs, yes. The EVO line is the new ones, and they are more expensive than the old VRs.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So in the intervening ~3 years are we supposed to believe that Warn re-engineered their Chinese manufacturing and assembly process to upgrade the VR to be completely IP68 or that the fine folks in Marketing re-worded their description to make it appear the entire unit is IP68? I have no info either way but I know which way I'd lean.
Lean which ever way you want. I didn't suggest VR EVO, ZEON, or any other winch to the OP. I took information straight from the Warn site to present them as fact due to the old/incorrect information being presented. Your statement makes it seem like I'm the one making up the specs of the VR winch. Unlike others, I'm not interjecting any opinion into this. I prefer to do my research and make educated decisions on what parts work for me and my build.

But yes, according to Warn, the VR EVO winch is IP68 compliant. The controller is not.....like I said in my earlier post.

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm personal friends with many of the Colorado 4x4 rescue/recovery group (bunch of recovery groups around here actually). I'm always worried about causing some damage to another vehicle and maybe getting civilly sued over it. I can call those guys and they're happy to come out and help anyone in need. Don't take it the wrong way, but there are plenty of free of charge recovery guys that do it for free, retired/bored, need to feel better, or otherwise.

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Lean which ever way you want. I didn't suggest VR EVO, ZEON, or any other winch to the OP. I took information straight from the Warn site to present them as fact due to the old/incorrect information being presented. Your statement makes it seem like I'm the one making up the specs of the VR winch. Unlike others, I'm not interjecting any opinion into this. I prefer to do my research and make educated decisions on what parts work for me and my build.

But yes, according to Warn, the VR EVO winch is IP68 compliant. The controller is not.....like I said in my earlier post.
Wow, touchy are we? I made no such inference - don't know why you'd be looking so hard to find one. Have you considered decaf?

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I can do this all day.....you have a comparison chart from 2016.....my information is from the current Warn comparison chart and their product description.

https://www.warn.com/compare-truck-suv-winches

Copied right from the Warn page for the VR EVO 10S (in red for easy reading):

Ideal weight capacity and line speed for 1/2-ton pickups, Jeeps, and larger SUVs. The VR EVO 10 features IP68-rated waterproof construction, an ultra-reliable Albright® contactor inside a relocatable control pack, and a state-of-the-art, two-in-one remote for added ease of use and versatility. With it’s fast line-speed and lower amp draw, the VR EVO winches are the hardest-working standard-duty winches we’ve ever made, with tactical styling that looks great up front and at a price that won’t pull you out of your budget.

Not trying to be a jerk, but when you put incorrect information on these forums, then fellow jeepers may make decisions based on the faulty information.
The OP asked about VR vs Zeon, not VR EVO vs Zeon. However after seeing Warn list VR EVO as being unable to use under water, I still stand by my comment regarding Zeon is the one to choose if dealing with water often.

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The OP asked about VR vs Zeon, not VR EVO vs Zeon. However after seeing Warn list VR EVO as being unable to use under water, I still stand by my comment regarding Zeon is the one to choose if dealing with water often.
There is no longer a VR series. VR EVO replaced them.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
There is no longer a VR series. VR EVO replaced them.
You can still purchase brand new VR winches; Amazon, Northridge, Quadratec, etc. have both VR and VR EVOs for sale. I understand Warn may have discontinued VR but plenty of stock out there still.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
The VR series will probably be good for you and at a better price point. Even if it fails for your needs the pricing is a little more forgiving. There are other options as well so just keep looking and getting opinions and winch reviews

tqqest

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR and 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad Premium
Occupation
Rertired
Not sure why some believe that the new Warn EVO series is not able to operate while fully submersed. If you read the the comparison link listed above, and look under the "Ingress Protection" section towards the bottom of the list it says, "Entire winch unit is rated IP68 waterproof for submersible operation." Only the remote itself is not listed for submersion.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why some believe that the new Warn EVO series is not able to operate while fully submersed. If you read the the comparison link listed above, and look under the "Ingress Protection" section towards the bottom of the list it says, "Entire winch unit is rated IP68 waterproof for submersible operation." Only the remote itself is not listed for submersion.
Here’s what you are referencing I assume. I don’t have a dog in this fight, just a casual reader who went and looked. Standard duty being the EVO VR.

919DB4EA-109C-4F4A-B442-A77E80082207.jpeg

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Ok I'm wrong. No idea why on another Warn page they list Zeon with submersible operation and exclude VR EVO. Hell maybe Warn has no idea either.

tqqest

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR and 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad Premium
Occupation
Rertired
Ok I'm wrong. No idea why on another Warn page they list Zeon with submersible operation and exclude VR EVO. Hell maybe Warn has no idea either.
I think they were just really slow to update their website after they brought out the new VR EVO model. Be interesting to see if they update the Zeon series with more efficient motors and the wireless remote like they added to the VR EVO. The Zeon series uses a lot more amps than the VR and in some cases is also slower at the equivalent weight of the VR EVO.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Their website lists the VR EVO 10, P/N 103252, as being "NEW"

https://www.warn.com/vr-evo-10-103252

Under the Overview, it states: IP68-rated waterproof winch construction keeps the elements out

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I haven't tried the VR series, but I LOVE my Zeon 10k synthetic. I've pulled a Chevy 2500 out of a frame deep snow drift, several jeeps out of snowy deep ruts, and my own tractor (John Deer Gator) after I high centered that sucker plowing 3' of snow off my 1/2 mile long driveway! Fast line speed, super easy controls, and great steady pulling power. I wouldn't think twice about any other winch up front. Sure there are cheaper options, though I firmly believe in this instance you get what you pay for.

I previously owned the Smittybilt X20 10,000lb synthetic (on my JKU) - it was OK if you were only planning on self-recovering infrequently. I used it once or twice and it was OK (slow pull/ definitely struggled some when loaded but got the job done twice albeit struggling quite a bit second time). A good friend of mine twisted/torqued the case of his X20 trying to pull his JKU from a muddy/snowy spot last year. I know that's a one-off personal experience, but having owned several winches, the Warn Zeon is by far my favorite and I trust it 100% when I'm on the trail (or at home!)

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey! can we stop disagreeing about the Warn VR, Evo or Zeon winch and get to the real problem and debate Synthetic vs Cable, that's the real hot spot.
Sponsored