Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just reading through this thread. Was on the edge of my seat for most of it wondering... would @Headbarcode opt for the American made winch or the cheaper off-shore one? I have recently been working through the decision myself.

Felt really good to see the outcome.

"Freedom ain't Free" and its costs more than the alternatives. Perhaps luxury but I have now found myself always seeking out and buy American, Australian, Canadian products first whenever possible.
Well, I'm happy to hear that you finally slid back and are now sitting comfortable. Hahaha!

I've yet to get the chance to use it in an actual recovery situation, but did end up using it to pull a tree down from behind the house. We had a 60ish foot white maple that used to serve as a natural sun shade for the raised deck. It fell victim to disease last spring and lost its leaves by the tail end of summer. It also grew with enough of a lean towards the house that, even delimbed on the house side to offset the weight, we wanted the added insurance while my brother handled the directional and back cuts. The fall happened nice and uneventful like we always prefer. Anyways, the Zeon did its job and I'm happy with it.

I've read all the posts in all the winch threads, so I'm aware of the split consensus on the Warn Zeon. Some say it's a great choice and others say that the same quality can be found in a winch that comes at a fraction of the cost. No one really knows for sure, and only time will truly tell. In the meantime, I'll enjoy knowing that my hard earned money went to American based company and was manufactured and assembled by fellow Americans. If that came at an added monetary cost, than so be it. It's still a drop in the bucket when considering the slew of other American made parts that have gone into building up my Jeep to enhance its capabilities.

Thanks for reading, Tim! Cheers!
Sponsored

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Hahahahaha!

Although the way I've been received over on 6g, while researching a possible Badlands for my wife, I might hesitate to pull a line for them. I still will, but that certain voice on my shoulder won't be happy. 😆
Good luck getting your rig out and about and totally shocked that New York CAN make off-roading illegal!?!?

I grew up in a '73 Ford Bronco (in Northern California), so cut my teeth in Dad's 4wd with solid axels, three on the tree and crap brakes :) But learn some good lessons early. Dad used to go everywhere in 2wd and only shift into 4wd once stuck. His philosophy was 4wd was to get you out.

I now have a JLUR and find it has all the good bits of the old Bronco, but is SOOO capable from stock and once you start to mod it. Mine has the export 2.2L Turbo Diesel, so I have heaps of torque and great fuel economy even when towing my off-road camper. I'm just putting on an Warn EVO 10S for the upcoming Cape York trip (YouTube Cape York in Australia to see the crazy stuff we get up to here in Australia).

So be ensured that your Jeep will mostly out perform what you can and will want to drive, as a stock Rubicon. They are a beast! I'm personally glad the Bronco is back. It will keep Jeep engineers and Mgmt from being lazy. Competition will make Jeeps better (hence the 35' available as soon as Broncos came out!)...

Cheers,
CaptStarboard
Sponsored

Last edited: