Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I might hesitate to pull a line for them
They’ll need all the help they can get!! Btw, the way you’ve built up your rig, the Zeon will be you using it to rescue others. if you plan on keeping baby for a while, you may as well spend on the winch - buy once, cry once. You’ll be happy you did lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
They’ll need all the help they can get!! Btw, the way you’ve built up your rig, the Zeon will be you using it to rescue others. if you plan on keeping baby for a while, you may as well spend on the winch - buy once, cry once. You’ll be happy you did lol.
It seems like the VR would do well for me, since I'm not exactly wheeling regularly, but American made and sticking to premium do-dads keeps bringing me back to a Zeon. And yeah, with all the broncos that will eventually be stuck and log jambing the trails, I might end up burning out a standard winch. 🤔

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I've been poking around some more. If the Zeon was still available everywhere, it's heavier duty components and the being manufactured by American hands aspects of it would be a no brainer. Some of you are well aware of my being a huge supporter of the buy once cry once philosophy. I typically buy something for myself first, before being an enabler to the rest of you. :bandit: Unfortunately, the Zeon is on national backorder until the end of this or the beginning of next year. It could end up being a wait to the end of next years first quarter, or beyond, for me to see one if I jump on the end the list now. I did see one in stock on Amazon, which maybe I should've jumped on, but I hesitated long enough for it to get gobbled up because I've never gotten anything serious from them. Usually just dog food and whatnot.

The winter is my dead season at work, so it's the only time of year that I can get away for lengths of time. I'm wanting to hit Rausch and AAOA in Pennsylvania at least a couple times, so I need to be set up properly beforehand. Time is not on my side. I should've jumped on it sooner, but have been focused on more meat and potato parts of my setup.

All that being said, I think I'm going to grab a vr Evo 10s with synthetic line. It's currently available at my go-to Jeep parts source, Northridge 4x4. It may not be as sexy as the zeon, but it's still a Warn product. Also, it makes a bit more practical and financial sense (why does typing that hurt?), given my location limits how frequently it will get used. Also, for just a hair over $1100 I can get the winch, Warn mounting plate, and a Warn "Stealth" vr series cover. All 3 pieces are in stock, so I'd probably see it in about a week. I've been sitting on a factor55 Ultrahook, their 1" aluminum fairlead, and a Warn power interrupt solenoid so the dressings are covered.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in, and everyone who would've if what they were going to say wasn't already. You are all awesome!

Now let us revel over this soon to be tossed fairlead cover and some trampolines... on the next post, in case it gets deleted. 😐

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Why not order a Zeon 8-S, just wondering? If the thought is you need a winch to be approximately 1.5x the weight of the vehicle, why not an 8-S? Don't get me wrong, I understand 10 is greater than 8, but at some point you have to ask, what is the point, diminishing returns and all that?

My Rubicon (two-door, soft top) weighs 2,150 lbs per axle, 4,300 total weight. The 8 gives me 1.85x vehicle weight, or almost 2x the vehicle weight.

The reason I ask is I ordered a Zeon 8 and it was delivered next day, 24 hours. So, if you can't get the 10-S, why wait?

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
When I was looking for a winch, both of these were in the running. I came across a great deal on a used EVO, but when I went to get it one thing changed my mind, the wires/cables sticking out of the side of the control box. I know its only cosmetic, but in my opinion it looks terrible. Might not bother some folks at all, but exposed wires infuriate my OCD.

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo 1630602180860

Last edited:
OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why not order a Zeon 8-S, just wondering? If the thought is you need a winch to be approximately 1.5x the weight of the vehicle, why not an 8-S? Don't get me wrong, I understand 10 is greater than 8, but at some point you have to ask, what is the point, diminishing returns and all that?

My Rubicon (two-door, soft top) weighs 2,150 lbs per axle, 4,300 total weight. The 8 gives me 1.85x vehicle weight, or almost 2x the vehicle weight.

The reason I ask is I ordered a Zeon 8 and it was delivered next day, 24 hours. So, if you can't get the 10-S, why wait?
The minimum 1.5x vehicle weight rule is what knocks the 8s out of the running for my Jeep. It's got to be approaching 6k lbs, and if not, it will be by the time I'm done. I'm sure the 8s would pull that weight, no problem, but I'd prefer that extra bit of head room with the 10s. Similar to the ceiling that the 8s has over your decently lighter 2 door. If I was at stock weight, it'd get a whole lot more consideration.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I was looking for a winch, both of these were in the running. I came across a great deal on a used EVO, but when I went to get it one thing changed my mind, the wires/cables sticking out of the side of the control box. I know its only cosmetic, but in my opinion it looks terrible. Might not bother some folks at all, but exposed wires infuriate my OCD.

Yeah, watching the video above reminded me of that. The zeon uses a busbar style contactor, which is definitely sexier in its cleanness. I'd go as far as saying that the VR looks way better, when not sitting right next to the Zeon. Also, that contactor has less resistance than the added cabling, so a slightly stronger current is getting to the motor. So, a looks and function benefit.

Your "help" is much appreciated! ;)

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I just got a taste of my own medicine! A fellow enabler that shall not be mentioned hoag4147, was nice enough to provide a convenient link to a zeon 10s in stock. All I can say is, I am a cheap and easy whore, and thanks to the unnamed member hoag4147 for pointing that out!

We can just forget about post 19, but 20 stays!

Thanks again to all!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Good grief is that ugly! Even Rough Country winches look better than that.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...the Zeon is on national backorder until the end of this or the beginning of next year...
They are waiting on the boat to arrive with the parts so they can build them in USA.

The minimum 1.5x vehicle weight rule...
That's a shoot from the hip kinda rule.

On its best day, a winch is only capable of working at approximately half of it's rated capability because of the pull by layer circumstance, and the full 50% capability will only be realized in a best case scenario, with an ideal range of pull and a electrical supply that can provide all the power the winch draws when it is tasked to work near its max capability.

In other words a 12,000 pound winch is not really 4,000 pounds stronger than a 8,000 pounds winch. The enhancement of capability is likely to be nearer to 1,000 pounds in most field application.

That's why snatch blocks are popular solutions when something is really stuck.

The point being if a winch is going to pull something free, it is likely going to do so at a force that is far below the GVWR of the vehicle in need.

The 1.5x rule is just an abstract way to explain that more is better when less isn't.

Thumbs up!

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are waiting on the boat to arrive with the parts so they can build them in USA.

That's a shoot from the hip kinda rule.

On its best day, a winch is only capable of working at approximately half of it's rated capability because of the pull by layer circumstance, and the full 50% capability will only be realized in a best case scenario, with an ideal range of pull and a electrical supply that can provide all the power the winch draws when it is tasked to work near its max capability.

In other words a 12,000 pound winch is not really 4,000 pounds stronger than a 8,000 pounds winch. The enhancement of capability is likely to be nearer to 1,000 pounds in most field application.

That's why snatch blocks are popular solutions when something is really stuck.

The point being if a winch is going to pull something free, it is likely going to do so at a force that is far below the GVWR of the vehicle in need.

The 1.5x rule is just an abstract way to explain that more is better when less isn't.

Thumbs up!
Yeah, more peace of mind than anything. And as much as it would suck to have a winch failure pulling myself, I'd further hate for it to happen when trying to help someone else. Same thing as self inflicted trail damage vs a door ding in a parking lot.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I just got a taste of my own medicine! A fellow enabler that shall not be mentioned hoag4147, was nice enough to provide a convenient link to a zeon 10s in stock. All I can say is, I am a cheap and easy whore, and thanks to the unnamed member hoag4147 for pointing that out!

We can just forget about post 19, but 20 stays!

Thanks again to all!
Hahaha. Here to help 💰💰💰

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Great points about the relationship between how a jeep is built up and how less frequently any winch would be needed until pushing the raised limitations.

It's funny, I get asked if I'm a transplant from the Midwest on a fairly regular basis. It's rare to see a jeep with anything more than a mopar lift and 35's around here. Occasionally I'll come across 37's, but nothing added to help support them.

I definitely wasn't built for my area. My 2 favorite past times are AR15's and more recently building up a Jeep for offroading. 2 things that are hated by new york. :facepalm: My work is the only thing holding me here. Otherwise, my wife and I would've already been gone.

Thanks for the food for thought and the kind words about my Jeep!
The other perspective -- the more capable the Jeep the more likely it is to get you somewhere that a winch could be very critical to get you out of a big "oh shit!" scenario.

For that it might make sense to go with a 12k to get some more pulling power when you are hanging off the side of a cliff and the winch needs to get your ass back on the trail as no other way ;)
Sponsored