Sponsored

WARN VS vs ZEON

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
wow, I’ve only encountered Jeeps and a Super Duty. I have to admit the 2wd pickup guy that started telling me how to do it would have been disconnected and wished best of luck, as long as it wasn’t ultra remote.

Sorry you’re having a bad string of luck.
They were remote in the middle of August. I ended up taking his wife, alone in my Wrangler, to the nearest road. I made sure ALL of my cameras were running so she didn't make some stupid accusation about me doing something in this #Metoo era. I dropped her off, called the police, and informed them where she was.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My time is worth something. My equipment is worth something. I researched, purchased, and prepared to go out. NONE of the people I have recovered did any of that. Most are unappreciative and probably don't understand a tow would be hundreds of dollars. I understand mistakes happen but common sense goes a long damn way.
Hey, fair enough. Hang out your shingle and let people know upfront it costs money for your services. Or, if you hate the task of helping people, just find more remote places. I'm inclined to go places where I see few people. That brings risk, but then there's reward too.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
They were remote. I ended up taking his wife, alone in my Wrangler, to the nearest road. I made sure ALL of my cameras were running so she didn't make some stupid accusation about me doing something in this #Metoo era. I dropped her off, called the police, and informed them where she was.
That is something I would not have thought about! What system do you use for in cab?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That is something I would not have thought about! What system do you use for in cab?
That's because it ain't normal to think that way. Consider yourself normal.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Hey, fair enough. Hang out your shingle and let people know upfront it costs money for your services. Or, if you hate the task of helping people, just find more remote places. I'm inclined to go places where I see few people. That brings risk, but then there's reward too.
Unfortunately FL doesn't have an abundance of remote places.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I helped out some little kid who was riding a quad that would not start. No parents and his friends and sibling didn't see him and almost left him. A little scared and would not let anyone ride the quad behind me. Parents and friends thanked me and offered a beverage. Took time but made me feel good and hopefully the kids grow up and pay it forward as the majority of us do. But this is not an often occurrence so I would make my opinion known if others poor prep and planning caused me to help people out like that all the time. You are not a towing service so I get it. Maybe offer a beverage, make sure everyone is okay, and a phone call if needed. It does make me feel good about me so no real price on that

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but you know what, I'm getting pretty fucking tired of helping people. Almost every single time I go wheeling (about two weekends a month) I pull 1-2 vehicles out. Out of all the saving I do only one group slipped me a $20 and insisted I take it.

Anyways OP, if you plan on getting the winch wet alot, go for a Zeon as the VR isn't as water tight.
Incorrect......According to the Warn website, their VR and Zeon winches are all IP68 rated (waterproof for 30 minutes at depths of up to 1 meter). The VR remote is not waterproof whereas the Zeon's are.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Incorrect......According to the Warn website, their VR and Zeon winches are all IP68 rated (waterproof for 30 minutes at depths of up to 1 meter). The VR remote is not waterproof whereas the Zeon's are.
Per https://www.warn.com/comparison-warn-vr-vs-zeon

Warn VR:
"Winch is dust tight, weather-resistant, with IP68 waterproof electrical contactor"

Warn Zeon:
"Entire winch unit is rated IP68 waterproof, for submersible operation"

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Per https://www.warn.com/comparison-warn-vr-vs-zeon

Warn VR:
"Winch is dust tight, weather-resistant, with IP68 waterproof electrical contactor"

Warn Zeon:
"Entire winch unit is rated IP68 waterproof, for submersible operation"
I can do this all day.....you have a comparison chart from 2016.....my information is from the current Warn comparison chart and their product description.

https://www.warn.com/compare-truck-suv-winches

Copied right from the Warn page for the VR EVO 10S (in red for easy reading):

Ideal weight capacity and line speed for 1/2-ton pickups, Jeeps, and larger SUVs. The VR EVO 10 features IP68-rated waterproof construction, an ultra-reliable Albright® contactor inside a relocatable control pack, and a state-of-the-art, two-in-one remote for added ease of use and versatility. With it’s fast line-speed and lower amp draw, the VR EVO winches are the hardest-working standard-duty winches we’ve ever made, with tactical styling that looks great up front and at a price that won’t pull you out of your budget.

Not trying to be a jerk, but when you put incorrect information on these forums, then fellow jeepers may make decisions based on the faulty information.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I can do this all day.....you have a comparison chart from 2016.....my information is from the current Warn comparison chart and their product description.

Ideal weight capacity and line speed for 1/2-ton pickups, Jeeps, and larger SUVs. The VR EVO 10 features IP68-rated waterproof construction, an ultra-reliable Albright® contactor inside a relocatable control pack, and a state-of-the-art, two-in-one remote for added ease of use and versatility. With it’s fast line-speed and lower amp draw, the VR EVO winches are the hardest-working standard-duty winches we’ve ever made, with tactical styling that looks great up front and at a price that won’t pull you out of your budget.

Not trying to be a jerk, but when you put incorrect information on these forums, then fellow jeepers may make decisions based on the faulty information.
I posted the out dated link that warn still has up, so I will own that mistake.

Here is the corrected, although I think they did this to be fit-for-tat with other Chinese competitors who operate under the same guise of waterproof but you can’t use it:

https://www.warn.com/warn-vr-evo-vs-warn-zeon

The ZR winch while waterproof can’t operate in that condition so it’s like a swimming suit you can get wet but can’t swim in.

I have had to use my winch in the water, no way I would give up a life risk recovery situation because I can’t get wet.

End of the day my Coilovers and axles and all that aren’t worth crap without my winch and my fire extinguishers. Priorities sometimes vary from person to person but I promise push comes to shove life saving comes before bling at this house.

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

So in the intervening ~3 years are we supposed to believe that Warn re-engineered their Chinese manufacturing and assembly process to upgrade the VR to be completely IP68 or that the fine folks in Marketing re-worded their description to make it appear the entire unit is IP68? I have no info either way but I know which way I'd lean.
Sponsored