Warn Zeon 8S + Camping

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Wow! I’m learning so much. I really appreciate the info. They already shipped the winch though. I’m just using the factory steel bumper, Maximus 3 sitting on the 392 suspension.
Its already shipped, don't worry about it. Use what you got. Its not going to hurt you to have a 12s over the 10s. I knew the winches were backordered a lot a month ago, so I didn't know if you were waiting for it to ship or not.

I see you post a lot getting advice and react quickly. I'd make a suggestion to give some time between and use info from the forums as a starting point for your research and do some looking into things, maybe contact the companies like Warn to see what they advise. Just because the majority does it, doesn't mean its the best way to go. Working for SAR I learned a ton about winching and set up and found that most people, even really experienced people, don't necessarily do things in a way they should. Lots of bad practices out there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Its already shipped, don't worry about it. Use what you got. Its not going to hurt you to have a 12s over the 10s. I knew the winches were backordered a lot a month ago, so I didn't know if you were waiting for it to ship or not.

I see you post a lot getting advice and react quickly. I'd make a suggestion to give some time between and use info from the forums as a starting point for your research and do some looking into things, maybe contact the companies like Warn to see what they advise. Just because the majority does it, doesn't mean its the best way to go. Working for SAR I learned a ton about winching and set up and found that most people, even really experienced people, don't necessarily do things in a way they should. Lots of bad practices out there.
Definitely. I do some research initially. I usually look at brands and pricing. Once I settle on a brand, then I’ll usually reach out for help regarding the specifics. I do appreciate the feedback :)

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Awesome good looking out I appreciate it. I just ordered those as well. This might be a dumb question but do I need to have something specifically to keep the cable from flying around like in the photo.

00B75F52-7CE6-416B-AB3C-AD3D31F1152F.jpeg

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Awesome good looking out I appreciate it. I just ordered those as well. This might be a dumb question but do I need to have something specifically to keep the cable from flying around like in the photo.

00B75F52-7CE6-416B-AB3C-AD3D31F1152F.jpeg
This all depends on your setup. I like Factor55 stuff and their blocks have pads to set them against the fairlead w/o damaging it. You pull in enough line to have it snug but don't over tighten the winch line.
From your order it looks like you are planning on using Warns' hook that comes with the winch. You can buy pads (I know Daystar makes one, don't know others) that the hook fits into and then snug that against the fairlead to keep a clean neat setup. Or you can attach the hook to something and wind up any slack. Just make sure you're not pulling the hook into the fairlead. It will mar or cut into it and that would create a winch line cutting point. Keep the fairlead as smooth and clean or debris as you can.

Edit:
I did a quick look and the Daystar one requires it to be on the winch line. Seems like a bad design. I've never used one of these pads, but if I was going to I would want to have something I can slip on and off w/o having to remove the hook from my winch line. AEV makes one that is a lot smaller and wouldn't be an issue to leave on the hook when in use.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
This all depends on your setup. I like Factor55 stuff and their blocks have pads to set them against the fairlead w/o damaging it. You pull in enough line to have it snug but don't over tighten the winch line.
From your order it looks like you are planning on using Warns' hook that comes with the winch. You can buy pads (I know Daystar makes one, don't know others) that the hook fits into and then snug that against the fairlead to keep a clean neat setup. Or you can attach the hook to something and wind up any slack. Just make sure you're not pulling the hook into the fairlead. It will mar or cut into it and that would create a winch line cutting point. Keep the fairlead as smooth and clean or debris as you can.

Edit:
I did a quick look and the Daystar one requires it to be on the winch line. Seems like a bad design. I've never used one of these pads, but if I was going to I would want to have something I can slip on and off w/o having to remove the hook from my winch line. AEV makes one that is a lot smaller and wouldn't be an issue to leave on the hook when in use.
Thanks for the tips. I can’t seem to find what you’re referring to on Factor55’s website. I really like the one in the photo with the Maximus 3 mount. Do you know that one? If not, I’ll reach out to Maximus.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tips. I can’t seem to find what you’re referring to on Factor55’s website. I really like the one in the photo with the Maximus 3 mount. Do you know that one? If not, I’ll reach out to Maximus.

That’s a hook keeper plate that goes under the hawse fairlead and it is sold by Maximus 3

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You could go with the poor man’s hook keeper, but from your flurry of purchases, maybe that’s not your style. 🤘

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon 8S + Camping 6E6C458D-2AD8-45F9-826E-69097482AB4A

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon 8S + Camping 6E6C458D-2AD8-45F9-826E-69097482AB4A
My reputation already proceeds me I guess haha. No kids yet so I spend on the only kid in my household, myself!

Yeah it’s not that it looks bad, but I really like the Maximus look. I’m in IT, so cables and organization are paramount for me :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
That’s a hook keeper plate that goes under the hawse fairlead and it is sold by Maximus 3
It works with any hawse fairleads? More specifically the warn one I purchased?

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It works with any hawse fairleads? More specifically the warn one I purchased?
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with the one that you posted, but probably best to run it by Maximus-3 first. It’s just a spacer between the fairlead and the bumper so you may need some longer mounted bolts for the fairlead. Not too hard to work around.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with the one that you posted, but probably best to run it by Maximus-3 first. It’s just a spacer between the fairlead and the bumper so you may need some longer mounted bolts for the fairlead. Not too hard to work around.
Thank you 🙏🏼