Sponsored

Turbo sound

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
Hello everyone! First time Jeep owner. Love it so far. I've owned several vehicles with turbos and super chargers before but for the life of me I cannot hear the turbo on this thing at all. It's a 2021 2.0T and it gets up and goes really well, but from what I've read some people complained about it being too loud. Anyone else with a quiet one or does this one just sound completely different than other turbos? The only thing I can hear is the engine noise itself. Anyone have a video recording of the noisy turbo? I don't mind its quiet , but just seems odd to me.
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Don't hear mine either but I sure do feel it

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I think it sounds cool. A bit like a diesel and jet engine combined. Not loud just aware of it compared to other gas engines.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My 2020 Recon has very noticeable turbo whine - runs great but a bit noisy...

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Definitely can hear the whistle/whine of the turbo. If you are looking for the loud intake sucking noise, then correct you won’t hear it.
Also if you are light footed you’ll hear the turbo. If you are heavy footed you will only hear the buzzing of the 4 cylinder

Sponsored

Caddisman

First Name
John Sharrard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Honda Accord
Hello everyone! First time Jeep owner. Love it so far. I've owned several vehicles with turbos and super chargers before but for the life of me I cannot hear the turbo on this thing at all. It's a 2021 2.0T and it gets up and goes really well, but from what I've read some people complained about it being too loud. Anyone else with a quiet one or does this one just sound completely different than other turbos? The only thing I can hear is the engine noise itself. Anyone have a video recording of the noisy turbo? I don't mind its quiet , but just seems odd to me.
I've had my 2021 JLU with the 2.0T for a few weeks also and I've been pleasantly pleased with the lack of turbo noise. I was expecting the turbo noise to be much more noticeable than it is. My hearing isn't the greatest anymore (too many years playing in rock bands), but my wife commented on the lack of turbo noise as compared to our other vehicles we have had with turbos.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I can hear it on mine if I have the windows open. I noticed it most when my wife used my jeep for the day and I was outside as she drove away.

Inside with the windows closed is a different story, I have to really listen to hear it.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I've had my 2021 JLU with the 2.0T for a few weeks also and I've been pleasantly pleased with the lack of turbo noise. I was expecting the turbo noise to be much more noticeable than it is. My hearing isn't the greatest anymore (too many years playing in rock bands), but my wife commented on the lack of turbo noise as compared to our other vehicles we have had with turbos.
Pretty quiet with windows up - very noticeable with windows down. I’ve gotten accustomed to the sound with windows down but really don’t like the supercharger sound. Runs great however...

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
The Turbo on my 2021 is silent

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I recently noticed a whistling noise sort of like a muffled police or fire siren from a distance, when I accelerate or maintain rpm above 1500. With that said I did put in an aFE filter with more airflow into the air box.
It’s actually quite noticible at night, especially with the sunrider off.

Not sure if It developed a boost leak somewhere or this turbo is supposed to sound like.

For reference’s sake, the turbo didn’t sound like this when I took delivery.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Could you put the stock filter back in and see if the noise goes away?