Turbo exhaust engines clicking/contracting sounds after turning engine off

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Noticed from day one that after turning engine off on the 2.0L JLUR, the metal contracting/clicking sound is much more and stays longer than a 3.6L engine as it cools down.
Is it because the exhaust gets much hotter in a turbo charged engine than the regular 3.6 Pentastar, I guess?
This contracting sound comes from the exhaust pipe area I guess? I hear it from the rear half of the Jeep close proximity to the rear differential area - but I can't pin point exactly.
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've had many cars over the years, some did this, some did not. I suspect it was the cat's, or perhaps other parts of the exhaust system cooling after turning off the motor. Another possibility is that the metal in the exhaust system is tempering itself, and will likely go away at some point, as I often thought.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Same noise here, it's a ticking noise coming from somewhere along the exhaust as the metal contracts and expands. I may have my dealer check it out and see if they can tighten anything they find down there. Only slightly annoying, but both my vehicles do it (other is a v8). Nothing to do with whether it's a turbo, probably just a flaw or manufacturing error that something is either loose or needs reinforcement to stop the noise.

I'm at 3,000mi and lived with it since probably after the first 100mi.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Same noise here, it's a ticking noise coming from somewhere along the exhaust as the metal contracts and expands. I may have my dealer check it out and see if they can tighten anything they find down there. Only slightly annoying, but both my vehicles do it (other is a v8). Nothing to do with whether it's a turbo, probably just a flaw or manufacturing error that something is either loose or needs reinforcement to stop the noise.

I'm at 3,000mi and lived with it since probably after the first 100mi.
Let us know on this thread what you find out.
Thx!

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not exactly sure what clicking or popping noise ya'll are talking about. Are we sure it's not just the oil dripping back into the Pan after turning off the engine?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I'm not exactly sure what clicking or popping noise ya'll are talking about. Are we sure it's not just the oil dripping back into the Pan after turning off the engine?
No, this is metal contracting sound and it comes from the rear of the vehice, by the exhaust system after the engine is shut off and it starts to cool off. Nearly every new vehicle I owned has that sound for a few days but this one is a little more pronounced and going on even in the third week and 900 miles.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
No, this is metal contracting sound and it comes from the rear of the vehice, by the exhaust system after the engine is shut off and it starts to cool off. Nearly every new vehicle I owned has that sound for a few days but this one is a little more pronounced and going on even in the third week and 900 miles.
Ok.... I gotcha. I haven't heard it from mine but now I'll listen for it.

SaharaSarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited, Sting-Gray
I've heard this since day 1 and actually was thinking about mentioning it tomorrow. It seems to stay longer after each trip.
Does anyone smell rubber burning back there also? Or is it because my car is new?

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I've heard this since day 1 and actually was thinking about mentioning it tomorrow. It seems to stay longer after each trip.
Does anyone smell rubber burning back there also? Or is it because my car is new?
The burning smell will go away in a few days and that's normal (more like a heated metal smell than rubber burning).
But there will be smell of rubber for many days - weeks even.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Not saying the turbo is the cause, but every turbo engined vehicle I have owned has does this. Try letting it idle for a minute or so to cool down the turbo before shutting it off and see if that makes a difference.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The ticking is at the joint between the resonator and muffler.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I've got snow all over the place to go out and take a look but is there a clamp that can be tightened or adjusted to stop the noise?

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it is at the clamp. Not sure if anything can be done.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Not sure I need to start a new thread but have a similar question, not related to exhaust clicking (mine does it too but seems normal). I have also noticed a sound coming from underneath the engine after shut-off. Sounds like a small motor or pump running for approx 5-10 minutes. I didn’t notice it until I parked in my garage and I don’t hear it all of the time. I know Audi/VW turbos have a feature that cools the turbo components after shut-off. I actually just sold my VW 2.0 turbo I had for 10 years (no issues by the way) but don’t recall ever hearing it. I also have a Toyota Sienna that makes similar noises but it’s related to vehicle diagnostics, and it’s explained in the owners manual. I searched the forums and read through JL owners manual, but didn’t see anything. Thoughts?
Sponsored