Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Especially when cold - lots of valve noise for the first five minutes of operation.
100% and then you can hear the turbo they the exhaust when you accelerate, those two points are my least favorite, other than that though it’s a great motor, only other complaint is the turbo lag can be felt with low rubicon gearing, my wife Audi turbo is 10x as smooth
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
First turbo I've owned. And it's whisper quiet.

So, far, less than 500 miles on my new JL, but I haven't heard any of the 2.0 noise that some complain of. Maybe it needs more miles to get the valves dirty.

I dunno...

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I recently noticed a whistling noise sort of like a muffled police or fire siren from a distance, when I accelerate or maintain rpm above 1500. With that said I did put in an aFE filter with more airflow into the air box.
It’s actually quite noticible at night, especially with the sunrider off.

Not sure if It developed a boost leak somewhere or this turbo is supposed to sound like.

For reference’s sake, the turbo didn’t sound like this when I took delivery.
Turbo Chargers make noise. If it had a boost leak you would sure as heck notice it and not be wondering if it is OK or not (codes, issues with running, scary noise). These are high boost, adding a better air flow filter will bring more air in as you say, but it will also be louder on the outside. The high boost is the magic that allows a tiny little 2.0 liter 4 cyl motor make MORE torque than a 3.6 liter V6 motor. You basically have a fan spinning at 280,000 rpm when boosting for this Garrett Low Inertia Turbo (actually owned by Honeywell now I think) - pretty amazing, but it makes some noise.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Turbo Chargers make noise. If it had a boost leak you would sure as heck notice it and not be wondering if it is OK or not (codes, issues with running, scary noise). These are high boost, adding a better air flow filter will bring more air in as you say, but it will also be louder on the outside. The high boost is the magic that allows a tiny little 2.0 liter 4 cyl motor make MORE torque than a 3.6 liter V6 motor. You basically have a fan spinning at 280,000 rpm when boosting for this Garrett Low Inertia Turbo (actually owned by Honeywell now I think) - pretty amazing, but it makes some noise.
Good to know, I actually like it a bit better when there is noise, sounds more like a supercharger now..

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Good to know, I actually like it a bit better when there is noise, sounds more like a supercharger now..
I agree! It is the same idea, but just exhaust driven instead of belt driven like a supercharger.

Sponsored

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Not to wake up an old post but seems like we are missing a few things here. 1 is the silencer ring Jeep installed between the CAI tube and turbo which can be removed without codes. Next all the BOV sold can and will thwo codes however a simple mod that has been dome is remove the turbo return pipe from turbo and plug it with a 3/4" pvc plug. Next CAIs will increase the woosh however you need more release on the exhaust which a muffler delete will help. Of your plans are to run bigger boost then the back pipe such as the Mishimoto will help from blow out and give more flow. All in all removing the silencer ring, adding even a high flow dry filter or a CAI also a banks pedal monster will make you smile ear to ear! Food for thought.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I've had two turbo engines... 2021 JLU with 2.0, and a 2013 VW Tiguan that also had a 2.0, direct injection, turbo, 4 cyl.

They both can be noisy, but they sound very different. There was a lot more "turbo" sound with the VW. The Jeep is really rackety at start up, but quiets down. There is definitely a sound to it when I hit the gas, but it's different than the VW turbo sound.

4Play1

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys Two Door Sarge Green
With the doors and top off, the turbo sounds good. Not Cummins good but works. I'll look at removing the silencer ring.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
I had the Holley intake on my jeep for a few thousand miles. Really clean looking and a nice sound that isnt overwhelming. Increases the sucking noise of the turbo at half and full throttle and feels like it breathes better. Expedition Builds did a review on the intake that triggered me to pick one up. I happened to take it off as I am chasing down an unrelated issue that may make me take it in for a dealer visit and put it up for sale if anyone is interested. (shameless plug)

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
I love the sound of my Turbo. I really only hear it it seems at low speeds. Like 20mph and below. There’s definitely a whistle. :like:

Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I love the sound of the turbo whistling when the windows are down. Reminds me of this....

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I've been torn since I started adding mods. When I started with the CAI (Injen), I could hear a bit more of a sucking sound. Liked that, thought I could get more. Went further with an aFe charge pipe and a TurboSmart dual port BOV, which really woke it up sound wise - big shhhhhHHHHHH when pushing the revs and a nice short -PSHHH if I got off it. I heard all of these while going sans engine cover though, and when I added it back into the fold it tamped down the sound quite a bit. Now with a new axle back exhaust, I find the mufflers deeper tone is drowning out the higher pitched noises of the front end. I can still hear it on occasion, but I guess it's mostly for others ears benefit at this point!

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I love the sound of a turbo. What's better than the sound of a jet engine turbine sound. :LOL: unfortunately I can only hear mine at idle, windows up or down. Probably because I have some hearing lose. As far as the sound of the 2.0 it was pretty noisy on start up then would quiet down. I have noticed that now that it has 20K on it, it is actually not as loud, warm or cold. Not sure if it's just mine or what.

Performance wise I love it, always have. Test drove both the 6 and turbo 4 twice in the same configuration, unlimited hard top auto and the 2.0 hands down makes the jeep a lot funner to drive.

Now though I had the opportunity to have a Super chips TD3 with a different ECM tune installed. You think the 2.0 was fun to drive before? I did gain 18hp and 29 foot pounds of torque. But it's not just the added power they changed all parameters, like of course you should. Shift points, boost curve everything. Now it is way better, crazy fun and really gets it, to the point where you have to be a little careful of how you drive it.
Sponsored