Turbo exhaust engines clicking/contracting sounds after turning engine off

Ace1999

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I don't have the 2.0L anymore, but no, it didn't stop even at 8000+ miles. Other metal contracting sounds stopped as things settled in but the exhaust clangs still continued but not as pronounced when it was brand new.
I owned all JL engine types at one point or the other but the metallic sounds persisted only on the 2.0L. A colleague of mine who also has a 2.0L had the same sounds after shut off. Pretty normal I think.
I think my concern is it does it when I’m sitting at idle at like a stop sign. When the exhaust starts to cool but the Jeep isn’t even off.
Sponsored

eugeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I think my concern is it does it when I’m sitting at idle at like a stop sign. When the exhaust starts to cool but the Jeep isn’t even off.
Your engine is not running as hot when idling so it makes sense it would make those ticky noises. I’m at 20k with my 2.0T and it still makes the ticking/contracting sounds. I consider it part of the normal noises of this engine.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I think it cools at a faster rate when in idle than when engine is shut off. Because in idle you have the coolant and possibly oil cooling the turbo, and fans blowing too.

Ace1999

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Same noise here, it's a ticking noise coming from somewhere along the exhaust as the metal contracts and expands. I may have my dealer check it out and see if they can tighten anything they find down there. Only slightly annoying, but both my vehicles do it (other is a v8). Nothing to do with whether it's a turbo, probably just a flaw or manufacturing error that something is either loose or needs reinforcement to stop the noise.

I'm at 3,000mi and lived with it since probably after the first 100mi.
Did you fix it?

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
It's not because it's a turbo. Most engines have and do this for many, many years.

Most of the time it is the heat shields. Heat shields are all over newer vehicles especially. They are thin and absorb heat. When they cool and contract they tic.

You can actually crawl under your jeep and pin point some of the shields doing it.

Eventually they tend to loose there expanding and contracting properties and will stop, but it can take a long time.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
It's not because it's a turbo. Most engines have and do this for many, many years.

Most of the time it is the heat shields. Heat shields are all over newer vehicles especially. They are thin and absorb heat. When they cool and contract they tic.

You can actually crawl under your jeep and pin point some of the shields doing it.

Eventually they tend to loose there expanding and contracting properties and will stop, but it can take a long time.
I agree. My 2023 has done this since day one, but I pay it no attention as I've had several vehicles over the years that made the same noise.
Sponsored