Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I need to start a new thread but have a similar question, not related to exhaust clicking (mine does it too but seems normal). I have also noticed a sound coming from underneath the engine after shut-off. Sounds like a small motor or pump running for approx 5-10 minutes. I didn’t notice it until I parked in my garage and I don’t hear it all of the time. I know Audi/VW turbos have a feature that cools the turbo components after shut-off. I actually just sold my VW 2.0 turbo I had for 10 years (no issues by the way) but don’t recall ever hearing it. I also have a Toyota Sienna that makes similar noises but it’s related to vehicle diagnostics, and it’s explained in the owners manual. I searched the forums and read through JL owners manual, but didn’t see anything. Thoughts?
It is the coolant motor for the 48V battery.
Sponsored

TRJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Rubicon
I have also listened to the song of hot engines, more so with motorcycles, after a ride after parking at home in the garage enjoy an adult beverage, sit next to the bike and enjoy the ride, the day, the beverage, and just life.

Beach&Farm

First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Same clicking noise here since purchasing two weeks ago. For example, clicked for 30 minutes after shutdown when returning from a one mile trip to the grocery store. Took mine in -- Jeep service dept says it is normal cat conv cooling. Said that regulations have resulted in vehicles being manufactured to run hotter for cleaner emissions. Will continue to monitor, as I had a similar sound in a new car about 20 yrs ago, and it was a bad computer that had to be replaced within the first month.

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Same clicking noise here since purchasing two weeks ago. For example, clicked for 30 minutes after shutdown when returning from a one mile trip to the grocery store. Took mine in -- Jeep service dept says it is normal cat conv cooling. Said that regulations have resulted in vehicles being manufactured to run hotter for cleaner emissions. Will continue to monitor, as I had a similar sound in a new car about 20 yrs ago, and it was a bad computer that had to be replaced within the first month.

It's fine, don't lose any sleep over it.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Absolutely no reason to be paranoid about the clicking sound. It's normal and has no effect on the performance of the vehicle.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 4xE, '15 Outback, '09 FZ1
Not saying the turbo is the cause, but every turbo engined vehicle I have owned has does this. Try letting it idle for a minute or so to cool down the turbo before shutting it off and see if that makes a difference.
Many mechanics have told me that 30-60 secs of idle time is good for the turbo engines.

jerrygcoffey

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
My old SS V8 Camaro did it all the time. Actually was relieved to have a new vehicle that did it again. Reminds me of a time when that sound meant my beast was cooling off after a race

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Many mechanics have told me that 30-60 secs of idle time is good for the turbo engines.
Likely when they used to be oil cooled. Now they are water cooled and I believe they circulate coolant even after shut down on their own to cool the turbo so running it after stopping before shut down isn't needed.

Sponsored

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
I have the 2.0L and hear the tick as well (just over 3000km's - Canadian eh :) )

I do not have the 48V battery and have the electric motor sound after I turn off the engine and just assumed it was a turbo timer/cooler running.

The tick is really pronounced - way worse than any other vehicle I've had - I wonder if throwing on some exhaust wrap in the area of the ticking would help at all? or would that make it worse?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.0L and hear the tick as well (just over 3000km's - Canadian eh :) )

I do not have the 48V battery and have the electric motor sound after I turn off the engine and just assumed it was a turbo timer/cooler running.

The tick is really pronounced - way worse than any other vehicle I've had - I wonder if throwing on some exhaust wrap in the area of the ticking would help at all? or would that make it worse?
Most manufacturers will void exhaust, turbo, etc. warranties if you apply exhaust wrap to those parts. The wrap is designed to hold the heat in. You really want your turbo to be able to cool off either through the coolant or ambient air. The exhaust wrap would inhibit that part from cooling off correctly.

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
Most manufacturers will void exhaust, turbo, etc. warranties if you apply exhaust wrap to those parts. The wrap is designed to hold the heat in. You really want your turbo to be able to cool off either through the coolant or ambient air. The exhaust wrap would inhibit that part from cooling off correctly.
Ah yes - good point - scratch that idea.

Ace1999

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
No, this is metal contracting sound and it comes from the rear of the vehice, by the exhaust system after the engine is shut off and it starts to cool off. Nearly every new vehicle I owned has that sound for a few days but this one is a little more pronounced and going on even in the third week and 900 miles.
Did it stop ?

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Did it stop ?
I don't have the 2.0L anymore, but no, it didn't stop even at 8000+ miles. Other metal contracting sounds stopped as things settled in but the exhaust clangs still continued but not as pronounced when it was brand new.
I owned all JL engine types at one point or the other but the metallic sounds persisted only on the 2.0L. A colleague of mine who also has a 2.0L had the same sounds after shut off. Pretty normal I think.
Sponsored