There is no perfect engine

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I wanted the XR package. So had no choice. But that’s fine with me. Happy to have a 3.6 again. Had it in my 2018 JKUR and it was fine. Can’t wait to see what it’s like with e-torque!
The 8 speed makes it night and day vs the jk, the etorque doesn't do much.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Interesting!!! Is it not loud as F without a muffler?
Turbos do reduce the noise. I don’t know when it changed but the regulations used to be something close to “All non turbocharged engines require a muffler “

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Tomorrow will be the first long trip since the install and the first off roading. Just taking a quick trip up the highway it didn't drone. It is louder, but it's still quiter than my truck with a 5.7L. You'll never get the deep rumble from a 2.0t, but I like it.
That’s cool. I was contemplating the muffler delete but wasn’t sure if it was going to drone. One problem of the 2.0 sound is that it is not only bad at the exhaust but also the whine at the turbine on front.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Turbos do reduce the noise. I don’t know when it changed but the regulations used to be something close to “All non turbocharged engines require a muffler “
Between the turbo, the cat, and the resonator, it's not even close to open header or straight piped loud.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
I don't trust the 3.6 engine, its not a maintenance issue with them either, its a material issue. No matter how good you take care of it, it won't stop the valve seats from dropping eventually. Not to mention the lifter and cam issues as well.

Unless your leasing, the 2.0 is the safest bet, its no demon, but it gets the job done. Also, seems like there is more and more aftermarket support every year. Wish they would do an I6, but with electrification on the horizon, I doubt we are going to see any new motors or powertrain refreshes.

I am interested to see how well the 6.4 does in the JLs, they seem to have the least amount of issues in the Power Wagons.

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Just for the record, I'm very familiar with iron block HEMI engines, drove them in the 1960s when they were current technology and when twelve miles to the gallon wasn't bad for high performance vehicles.

For my 2021 Wrangler, I chose the wheezy little Euro-style two liter, no e-anything, just two liters, four cylinders, and a turbo. I chose it because it was cheaper at the time and I intend to swap engines and transmissions in the near future anyway. But, I've been very surprised. I tend drive like a bat out of hell and it sure keeps up and does it at eighteen miles to the gallon in town and over twenty on the highway, wheezing like a salivating angry badger the whole time.

I'm not convinced that it will last all that long. Turbos endure a lot of heat stress and getting that much torque and horse power out of only two liters is going to pressure something loose eventually. I'll also need more torque for the later stages of my build; so, I still intend to swap it out. But, when I do, it won't be for an iron block HEMI. I'll be going to a aluminum LT1 with a dry sump system in front of an 8L90, lots of low end torque, the higher end horsepower of a Corvette, eight even higher strength gears, and all at barely any more front end weight or gas consumption than I get from the peppy little two liter.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Do all of the above and gain even more TQ/HP and better sound? I just put the AFE muffler delete on our 2019. Did it more for the ground clearance as there were several dents/scrapes in the muffler. Dropping 20-30lbs off the back of the Jeep, the muffler no longer turning the rear floor storage in to an oven, and the improved sound were just bonuses for $130. Superchips tune is likely the next mod up though.
Same experience with a muffler delete. Way less annoying then my previous 3.6L paired with a flowmaster outlaw exhaust.

Gave up my manual for more torque in the power band despite the 2.0T sounding like a sewing machine. Very happy with the muffler delete.

Jeep Wrangler JL There is no perfect engine 87E3E98A-F910-4740-A127-37E677D554AE

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Just for the record, I'm very familiar with iron block HEMI engines, drove them in the 1960s when they were current technology and when twelve miles to the gallon wasn't bad for high performance vehicles.

For my 2021 Wrangler, I chose the wheezy little Euro-style two liter, no e-anything, just two liters, four cylinders, and a turbo. I chose it because it was cheaper at the time and I intend to swap engines and transmissions in the near future anyway. But, I've been very surprised. I tend drive like a bat out of hell and it sure keeps up and does it at eighteen miles to the gallon in town and over twenty on the highway, wheezing like a salivating angry badger the whole time.

I'm not convinced that it will last all that long. Turbos endure a lot of heat stress and getting that much torque and horse power out of only two liters is going to pressure something loose eventually. I'll also need more torque for the later stages of my build; so, I still intend to swap it out. But, when I do, it won't be for an iron block HEMI. I'll be going to a aluminum LT1 with a dry sump system in front of an 8L90, lots of low end torque, the higher end horsepower of a Corvette, eight even higher strength gears, and all at barely any more front end weight or gas consumption than I get from the peppy little two liter.
That new tech aluminum block that AMC introduced...in 1961.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Surely Stellantis has a water cooled boxer design available. That would be nice.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The vast amount of responses that prefer the 3.6 are those who've never tried the 2.0T.
I ordered the 2.0T sight- and test-drive unseen, precisely because three test-drives in the 3.6L left me unimpressed. I continue to be pleased with the forced induction four cylinder every time I drive it.

It's not a question of perfection so much as which choice has the best combination of attributes for our use requirements.

27.x mpg is my average fuel mileage (mechanical sympathy and good fuel goes a long way) and there's oodles of power in reserve when needed. The engine does sound a bit busy during cold starts, but it settles into a precise mechanical whirr fairly quick. Anyone who expects otherwise from an engine of this style & displacement might deserve their disappointment. Horses for courses.

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I hate the 2.0T...seems gutless compared to the 3.6 and sounds terrible!!! 2.0T is OK under full throttle but that's it IMHO.
It really does not sound all that bad. I've got an exhaust and a cold air intake on it....has a nice growl and the intake lets you hear the turbo spool and makes a "whoosh" sound when letting off.

I cant tell you how many times I've heard a 3.6 with a muffler delete....it gets old, the 2.0 is nice for a change.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I second "take the 2.0T for a spin."

On FB I actually did a full write up of the 3 main engines, the 3.6 vs the 2.0T vs the 3.0.

I love the 2.0T so much I pretty much went 4xe because of that spunky little engine. All the added benefits were a bonus.

Plus the fact that you're RARELY find someone that drove the 2.0T and prefers the 3.6. The vast amount of responses that prefer the 3.6 are those who've never tried the 2.0T.
I've driven both and much prefer the 3.6 etorque. So there's that.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
3.6 sounds way better than the turbo
I've driven both and much prefer the 3.6 etorque. So there's that.
idk why it’s so unbelievable to people that there’s a lot of us that prefer the v6.
As long as you’re happy with the choice you made it’s all good.

But V6 sounds better than the 2.0 😉
Sponsored