OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Suprise to see the 3.6 Manual is winning (add the 2 listings), now is that because of the 3.6 or the idea of a manual transmission?
It's because manual drivers think they are twice as good as an automatic driver.

Just kidding, it's really because I made a mistake and can't edit the poll.

Poll is missing the 2.2 Multijet
It's option #3.
Sponsored

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
They do not use the 2.0T in the Gladiator for thermodynamic reasons. Cooling requirements under max load. Notice how the Gladiator grill is different than the Wrangler grills? It's all for more efficient cooling.
I'm sorry, but if you think Jeep can not engineer a cooling package for a 2.0T in a Gladiator you are mistaken. There is absolutely nothing hard or unusual about fooling 4 cyl turbos for trucks. E.g. Ranger.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Most votes are gonna go to the 3.6 and 2.0 cause thats what most people have. And theyre just gonna vote for what they have. People dont want to believe another option than the one they got can be better.

We are all dumb like that.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I'm sorry, but if you think Jeep can not engineer a cooling package for a 2.0T in a Gladiator you are mistaken. There is absolutely nothing hard or unusual about fooling 4 cyl turbos for trucks. E.g. Ranger.

I think if the 2.0L was viable for towing, it would Already be in the 1/2 ton Ram. Just sayin'

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
First of all we are talking about a FCA product not a Ford product.

You must know more about the FCA engineering than the engineers at FCA. There is a thread and several articles about why the 2.0T was not used in the Gladiator. There was a technical paper on this as well. FCA engineers did everything possible in an attempt to use the 2.0T. There was nothing left on the table. The 2.0T could not meet the engineer's requirements for thermal efficiency and tow rating. That IS the reason.

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I plan to simply convert my 3.6 manual to BEV once axial flux motors are offered and battery technology is way better in 5 years. I like my Jeep and how I have built it out. Why start over.
Good luck with that project. Sounds like fun, even if wildly un-economical.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Jeep Wrangler JL The great meaningless engine poll Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.47.13 AM

Guys (and Gals)! I think that this poll is finally unlocking a lot of market insights.

If we add all the votes made but exclude 3.6 Manual and EcoBoost we get to 420 votes. Since 420>69 and if we multiple by 3.14, divide by square root of 360 and add 100 degrees then I think that we can now collectively put to bed the age old question of which engine.

Amazing work @AnnDee4444 . The engine poll to end all engine polls.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

I doubt you'll click since you clearly didn't read the last links provided, so I'll quote it here:

"...the Gladiatorā€™s chief engineer Pete Milosavlevskiā€”or Pete Milo for shortā€”told me in an interview during the press launch..."​

"The only issue was, engineers were having a tough time creating a cooling system using the Wranglerā€™s front end (which the Gladiator shares) that could handle best-in-class mid-size truck loads."​

"Speaking of diesel, we donā€™t know what the upcoming Gladiator diesel will be able to tow, though Milo did tell me over dinner that it will be less than the gas model. I asked him to expound upon that during an interview the following evening, but Jeepā€™s PR rep made it clear that all the company was releasing was horsepower and torque figures, which are 260 HP and 442 lb-ft, respectively.
Milo did give me a hint, though: charge air cooler."​

And what do the 3.0 diesel & 2.0 have in common?

Jeep Wrangler JL The great meaningless engine poll Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.47.13 AM

Guys (and Gals)! I think that this poll is finally unlocking a lot of market insights.

If we add all the votes made but exclude 3.6 Manual and EcoBoost we get to 420 votes. Since 420>69 and if we multiple by 3.14, divide by square root of 360 and add 100 degrees then I think that we can now collectively put to bed the age old question of which engine.

Amazing work @AnnDee4444 . The engine poll to end all engine polls.
Illuminate confirmed?
Sponsored