OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
So I think the steps are: Push the connector in the socket while you are pressing in the tabs (yellow lines) to release pressure, then pull the wire harness/connector back from the socket to release it....correct?
Sponsored

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
So I think the steps are: Push the connector in the socket while you are pressing in the tabs (yellow lines) to release pressure, then pull the wire harness/connector back from the socket to release it....correct?
Pretty much, yes. Mine came apart pretty easy with some (very) light pulling pressure on the wire and pushing the tab in at the same time.

They're a little harder to get to than before but still doable. I found it easiest to poke my head under there and check out exactly where everything is, then basically sit/squat on the edge of the door, reach up with my right hand, and do it by feel (angles are a little weird if I tried laying on the floor).

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
@dgerb

I just messaged you with a video that tells/shows the deed..

NO reason to install the Tazer now..... the install will / can wait til you get the SGW Extension Cable.
Just remember to drive say 5 mph slower til you adjust for new tire size. 8-)

No sense dealing with the connectors more then you have to..

You can see release tabs in this pic of the Tazer JL plugged into the cables.

20180426_194230.jpg

You can also see the scratches on the hand from the removal process :CWL:
X2 on waiting for the cable.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
You can also see the scratches on the hand from the removal process :CWL:
X2 on waiting for the cable.
Ohhh nooo he got a wittle boo boo on his hand

:CWL:

God damn y'all are hilarious.

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
This is not as difficult as many of you are making it seem... And why are any of you spending money on tools?

If you're having trouble take off the damn driver's side door and remove the driver's seat.

Lay down with your head under the dash and get it done.

This was about 9 million times easier than installing OEM LEDs as the BCM is waaaay up in there with a fraction of the room.
I'm thinking of taking the other dash panel out to gain better access...

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of taking the other dash panel out to gain better access...
the best solution is taking out the driver's seat to give you the much needed extra space - ask me how i know. it's really only 4 torx screws.

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
This is not as difficult as many of you are making it seem... And why are any of you spending money on tools?

If you're having trouble take off the damn driver's side door and remove the driver's seat.

Lay down with your head under the dash and get it done.

This was about 9 million times easier than installing OEM LEDs as the BCM is waaaay up in there with a fraction of the room.
Never pass up an excuse to buy more tools.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
the best solution is taking out the driver's seat to give you the much needed extra space - ask me how i know. it's really only 4 torx screws.
I totally disagree .... the best solution is not "taking out the driver's seat"..... That's like using a sledge hammer to drive in a thumb tack.....

To remove the driver's seat, you should be doing a total 12v power kill first because of air bag involvement.. then the connector(s) can be a headache disconnecting and more....

developerlaw

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392; 2022 McLaren; 2023 Range Rover
Can you stop by your local Jeep dealer? Once you have done this a few times, it is not bad and someone at the dealer can likely disconnect quickly. This will stir some comment . . . drive around back or to the side to one of the services bays as if you know where you are going and ask one of the techs. They may just help you out.

And, since were are on the Jeep 392 Forum, Tazer Mini can disconnect front wheel drive so all power goes to the rear wheels. A burnout with 12.5" wide tires is priceless.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I totally disagree .... the best solution is not "taking out the driver's seat"..... That's like using a sledge hammer to drive in a thumb tack.....

To remove the driver's seat, you should be doing a total 12v power kill first because of air bag involvement.. then the connector(s) can be a headache disconnecting and more....
Or they could try not being a sissy worried about scratches on their wittle hands.

Again, I've installed that stupid LED wire in the BCM connector for OEM led. I've also done the entire pulley setup on a turbo mini cooper. Both have 10% of the room that you have with a tazer.

If they're having this much trouble they should just try hitting it with their purses.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Or they could try not being a sissy worried about scratches on their wittle hands.

Again, I've installed that stupid LED wire in the BCM connector for OEM led. I've also done the entire pulley setup on a turbo mini cooper. Both have 10% of the room that you have with a tazer.

If they're having this much trouble they should just try hitting it with their purses.
What’s up with the name calling? I think we can discuss opinions and installation difficulties without getting personal :)

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
What’s up with the name calling? I think we can discuss opinions and installation difficulties without getting personal :)
How about... This horse has been beaten to death.

If you can't unplug two wires you need to pay someone else to do it for you.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner

That’s a good point. I’m having an installer do a bunch of work for me on my 392 and I’m having them install the harness for me while they’re doing the other work. I still feel manly haha.

Last edited:

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase

Hey tough guy....i unplugged the two wires but i had trouble since i have wide shoulders (6.3ft & 220lbs). i eventually took off the drivers seat which allowed me better access. do you have a personal problem with this given your "constructive comments"??

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

The problem is not all of us have little girl hands and actually have a man’s hand. My hand span is 10”.

Scott
Sponsored