Sunvisor Rant

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I ordered the reinforcement kit yesterday. The passenger side visor just started flopping yesterday and it gets very little use. Poor design for sure.
I too have had to reinforce my driver's side sun visor. I used basically the same procedure as described in this post:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1770443/

I had used a 5/16" push washer after trimming back the plastic housing and scoring the metal post. The trickiest part of the whole repair was removing and reinserting the pins for the electrical connector for the garage door opener and lighted mirror.

Sadly, my wife just broke the passenger side visor now as well. When she pulls the visor down, she uses it just for the mirror. Go figure...

While the push washer trick seems to be working well (for me) can anyone supply more detail on this 'reinforcement' kit? But I still treat the visor like it's the most delicate, flimsy and ultra-brittle thing on the planet. Almost as fragile as the seat back latch handles. Which by the way have also both been repaired as well. (Different subject and a very bona fide reason for yet another justifiable rant.)

It amazes me to no end of just how sturdy and capable these JL's are until you go to use any interior related mechanism. You can bounce these things off boulders but can't reliably use anything on the inside.

If this reinforcement kit has any potential for being sturdier than the push washer trick, I'd certainly like to consider it.

Does anyone have any more detail or will I now need to do so the same repair on the other side?

Thanks a bunch,
Jay

[Edit]
Whoops, after reading deeper into this thread is the repair kit just the bracket that fits around the upper assembly and installed with screws?

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I too have had to reinforce my driver's side sun visor. I used basically the same procedure as described in this post:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1770443/

I had used a 5/16" push washer after trimming back the plastic housing and scoring the metal post. The trickiest part of the whole repair was removing and reinserting the pins for the electrical connector for the garage door opener and lighted mirror.

Sadly, my wife just broke the passenger side visor now as well. When she pulls the visor down, she uses it just for the mirror. Go figure...

While the push washer trick seems to be working well (for me) can anyone supply more detail on this 'reinforcement' kit? But I still treat the visor like it's the most delicate, flimsy and ultra-brittle thing on the planet. Almost as fragile as the seat back latch handles. Which by the way have also both been repaired as well. (Different subject and a very bona fide reason for yet another justifiable rant.)

It amazes me to no end of just how sturdy and capable these JL's are until you go to use any interior related mechanism. You can bounce these things off boulders but can't reliably use anything on the inside.

If this reinforcement kit has any potential for being sturdier than the push washer trick, I'd certainly like to consider it.

Does anyone have any more detail or will I now need to do so the same repair on the other side?

Thanks a bunch,
Jay

[Edit]
Whoops, after reading deeper into this thread is the repair kit just the bracket that fits around the upper assembly and installed with screws?

Yeah based on others saying there is some movement with the reinforcement bracket, I would do the push washer fix. My passenger side push washer fix has been solid and retains the factory look, function.

I ended up cutting the wires instead of de-pinning. Used butt connectors to rejoin. If my drivers side breaks again, ill do the same fix.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
not sure what y'all do with your sun visors but dang y'all are rough on them. on year four of owning my jeep and have not hand a problem at all with mine
Big talk now...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I just installed the aluminum clips from Taccom which I ordered thru Amazon. It took about 15 minutes to do both sides.

StaceyLynn13

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee
FYI If you have a 3d printer, you can print these yourself for 7 cents each. (You'll want to use ABS instead of PLA because of the heat inside during summer.)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5338081
my husband just got a 3D printer and asked me if I wanted him to make me anything. Might have him make me some of these to have just in case lol

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I just installed the aluminum clips from Taccom which I ordered thru Amazon. It took about 15 minutes to do both sides.
HONESTLY TO ALL … The Taccom metal double screw is the way to go!!! DO NOT get there single screw Delrin one as it flexes (I originally got this one and returned for the metal double screw design)

ALSO the other reason I recommend Taccom clips is because as a former aftermarket parts designer (BMW E46 M3 parts) Taccom is the original designer of this product. They came up with this solution for their own personal jeep and when the demand increased for one, they started to sell it. They are a US company and not a Chinese knockoff!!! There might be cheaper ones out there now, but you aren’t saving much compared to getting the original!

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunvisor Rant 84AF05AC-FFD9-4FCB-87CD-F3DA688C1E94

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunvisor Rant 45F3A06E-52C7-4DD3-9F96-26EC497AAE2E

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
2019 2-dr JL and I have had 3 broken sun-visors in 3 years of ownership - 2 drivers side, 1 passengers side which hardly ever gets used. These sun-visors come loose on the metal pivot point due to poor engineering. There are 100 ways to make them sturdier, why doesn't Jeep wake up and fix the defect? Instead, they are paying warranty repairs through the ying yang for something that can be reengineered quickly and cheaply. Not only does it break, but it is a safety risk because you only need the sun visor when the sun is blinding your eyes. This thing should be a FEDERAL RECALL for safety reasons!

Yes, you can buy an after-market repair kit to band-aid fix them, but that comes after the owner has struggled, maybe visited the dealer, maybe is out of warranty, and likely frustrated and pissed off. This is a simple part that doesn't break on most other cars, and certainly not on most other Stellantis-built vehicles. My Ram 1500 never had a broken sun visor.

Oh, and now my brand new 2022 Gladiator has the same exact poorly engineered sun-visor clip that is on my 2019 Wrangler - shocking! I can almost feel the thing breaking every time I use it.

I bought 2 aftermarket repair kits to reinforce both vehicles. Not expensive, but a small PITA and should be unnecessary.

Rant over . . .
Of the longtime Jeep defects, at least the visors have an aftermarket fix (go with the two screw). Wait until your blend door actuator fails. That is an equally overdue fix in waiting. Hard to DIY and expensive to have fixed at the dealer.

Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Of the longtime Jeep defects, at least the visors have an aftermarket fix (go with the two screw). Wait until your blend door actuator fails. That is an equally overdue fix in waiting. Hard to DIY and expensive to have fixed at the dealer.
Please excuse my ignorance, what is a blend door actuator?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Please excuse my ignorance, what is a blend door actuator?
It's a motorized plastic device (behind the dash) in the HVAC system that controls ("blends") the flow of hot/cold air. It's a challenge to access. I've replaced two (at dealer) on previous JKs, but the design is unchanged in JLs.

Last edited:

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
It's a motorized plastic device (behind the dash) in the HVAC system that controls ("blends") the flow of hot/cold air. It's a challenge to access. I've replaced two on previous JKs, but the design is unchanged in JLs.
Wonder if that is why my temp control has been horrible. Mine will blow hot until I go all the way cold then I can back it off and it will work from there. It it will blow cold and until I turn it all the way high it stays freezing, but then I can back it off from there and get the in betweens. I took it in for this early on and of course they claim "unable to replicate" been this way since day 1.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Wait until your blend door actuator fails.
Our all-in cost to replace that very part in Offspring's Honda -- what they call an air mix actuator on the invoice -- was $442.00. That figure includes the $135.00 dealer diagnostic fee.

The part failed during the summer, so we only discovered it when the mornings were finally cold enough to call for heat and we had none.

I've used YouTube University to DIY any number of projects, but on this one I decided to bunt to the dealership.
Sponsored