TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have ALWAYS had to do a clear/reset on any factory homelink I have had.
It's almost as if they program it for testing at the factory and never clear it.
Sponsored

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What type of range does this have? My daily driver is bad. I have to get pretty close.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I can hit it about 2-3 doors down from my house, so the door is fully opened by the time I get in my driveway.

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Liberty KK, Cherokee XJ
That's true if someone car jacks you and drives to your home after hitting the HOME button on the GPS. None of my other cars with Homelink garage doors openers had power until the car was powered up. I am pretty sure the visor garage door buttons are not powered until you start or press the start button. I would also recommend NOT programing in your actual home address into the GPS. I would program a destination a few blocks away from your actual home.
This is correct. I tested mine pretty thoroughly because rarely is my Jeep in the garage and I have been pretty cautious about this in the past. With my previous Jeep, I used to take the door opener into the house with me each night. Homelink makes it much easier.

When I set this up, I tested to confirm that Homelink will only work if the Jeep is powered on. If you get into the Jeep without the keys and hit RUN or ACC, Homelink will not work.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I wonder if this can be done as a added layer of protection on the newer Homelink? I accidentally programmed a Lexus Homelink garage door opener once to work with 2 buttons. Pressing any one of the 3 buttons would not open the garage door even with the car ON. I had to press 2 of the Homelink buttons at the sometime to activate the garage door opener.

Sponsored

98intrigue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Moab, '14 Viper
Occupation
Project Manager
My first post and hoping it can help others.

I just brought home my new JL today and first things first - setup the Homelink. Although the video states to have the car in ‘Run’ mode, nothing worked. I tried it all.

Thankfully, a post above said to have the car actually on and running. Tried that and after a few attempts, it worked! Hoping to save some others a bit of frustration.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I can hit it about 2-3 doors down from my house, so the door is fully opened by the time I get in my driveway.
Great range on mine too, it's like we're living in the future. The Jones' next door are very envious :giggle:

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I have a sport S and it came with it.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
My first post and hoping it can help others.

I just brought home my new JL today and first things first - setup the Homelink. Although the video states to have the car in ‘Run’ mode, nothing worked. I tried it all.

Thankfully, a post above said to have the car actually on and running. Tried that and after a few attempts, it worked! Hoping to save some others a bit of frustration.
Never got mine to work either. Gave up. I can reset it on my truck and reprogram with no problem but not so lucky on my Jeep.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
No, if you lock with the key fob(sets alarm also) that is the only way to disarm the alarm. If you reach in and unlock the doors with the switch on the door panel, the alarm will sound.

The BCM feeds the Homelink power only when ignition is on.
If you wire it like I have it the Homelink will always be active and able to raise the garage door, even if the ignition is off and the alarm is set.
That is actually a good thing. I have an Expedition that has the Homelink garage door opener in the visor. I can use it to open/close the garage door without the key. It also has the keyless entry pad so I can unlock the door without my key on me. So it is convenient in that when I am working out in the yard and need to get into the garage I am able to without needing my key. But I can see where it is a security risk as well.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
That is actually a good thing. I have an Expedition that has the Homelink garage door opener in the visor. I can use it to open/close the garage door without the key. It also has the keyless entry pad so I can unlock the door without my key on me. So it is convenient in that when I am working out in the yard and need to get into the garage I am able to without needing my key. But I can see where it is a security risk as well.
We have a key-pad on the outside of our garage door that basically works just like a remote opener. I don't think we even have a house key any more.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Jeep garage door opener does not have power until the vehicle is started, so breaking the window to get to the opener is a waste.

98intrigue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Moab, '14 Viper
Occupation
Project Manager
Never got mine to work either. Gave up. I can reset it on my truck and reprogram with no problem but not so lucky on my Jeep.
With the car running, hold the outter 2 buttons to reset the Homelink. Hit the learn button on your garage door motor. Then hold the Homelink button and press/hold the garage door remote button for 2 seconds, then release. Repeat until the Homelink button programs. You should see your garage lights flash to confirm.

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Spent hours trying to get this to work a few months back. Turned out I had a bad/weak garage door remote. Tried my wife’s and it worked the first time.
Sponsored