Garage Door Opener - Ignition On/Off

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
For the first year I had my JLUR hardtop, the garage door opener/Homelink did not work with the ignition off, nor on the ACC setting. The engine actually had to be running. I found it to be a pain in the axe, mainly due to the habits developed with my other vehicles.

However, in the past few weeks, I noticed it works with the ignition off and even after opening the driver door, or even when entering a "cold car" when nothing had been running prior to approaching it.

I was wondering what has changed that would cause the garage door opener/Homelink to work all the time now, regardless of ignition setting.

I thought back through what I had done that may have modified this function. The first thing that came to mind was the power jumper wire from Cool Tech for full time powering of the dash cigarette ligher socket. I just went out in the drive and pulled it out of the fuse panel and tried the garage door opener. It still worked with the Cool Tech disconnected. So that's not it.

A month ago, I removed the visors to fix their retaining pivots. I had to disconnect the wiring of the garage door opener/Homelink to remove the visor. I don't know if I did something there that powered the Homelink , but I suspect not.

Is there a possibility that there''s been a Uconnect automated firmware push that changed this? I have never had my Jeep back in a dealer for service, so no way they could do a software/firmware update. Can you guys check your Homelinks for operation again?
Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ok. I figured it out. Since the garage door opener started working with the ignition off about the time I fixed the visor retainers, I checked some more.

I checked the visor mirror light on the driver side just now. It didn't work with the ignition off. But the passenger side visor mirror light did work with the ignition off. I guess I inadvertently swapped the power wire pins in the connector when I disconnected the visor for the repair.

Well, I consider this a "mod". Now. LOL.

Remove the rollbar cover on the left side above the driver and you'll find the connector. Disconnect the connector. You need to locate which end of the connectors is for the visor. There are 3 wires in the connector. Pry the pin cover up as shown below. This exposes the pin retaining tabs. You need to depress them while pulling the pins out. Leave the black wire pin in place.

20200118_165920.jpg
View attachment 285321
20200118_155318.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I wouldn't want the homelink to be functioning when the ignition is off. That would be an easy way for a burglar to get into your garage or even the house.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wouldn't want the homelink to be functioning when the ignition is off. That would be an easy way for a burglar to get into your garage or even the house.
Yeah, I would not recommend it for soft top or no top people. Just the hard top people that lock their jeep up all the time.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Once you have the cover up on the connector, slide out the two colored wires and swap their positions in the connector. Replace everything back the way you took it apart.

20200118_155703.jpg
Sponsored