Sponsored

Sun Visor Fix

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
Could you use these retention clips and put them on BEFORE they break to prevent it from happening?
Yes, but what Roaniecowpony said - You’d have to break them yourself first.

rhattan503

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you for all the details. Only question I have is you indicated you “ground down and filed the boss until I got the fit in the second picture”…how did you do this. Is this the plastic hole the visor arm fits through or the visor arm you need to grind down to fit?

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thank you for all the details. Only question I have is you indicated you “ground down and filed the boss until I got the fit in the second picture”…how did you do this. Is this the plastic hole the visor arm fits through or the visor arm you need to grind down to fit?
The part that gets "ground down" is the plastic retangular base plate that secures the visor assembly to the vehicle. On the inside surface of the base plate is a raised boss around the hole where the visor fits into. This is shown in post #4 of this thread, in the first and second pictures. The raised boss in picture #1 is ground down to be level with the bare part of the metal shank of the visor as shown in picture #2. To determine how much to remove, you first need to really wring the base plate onto the tapered part of the visor shank. The base plate needs to be approximately level with the exposed metal part of the shank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How I ground it down was with a disc grinder and finished it with a file. You could do it all with hand files

Sponsored

ShafferNY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's JK, 2019 Rubicon JL
Thanks for sharing your idea #roaniecowpony I had to fix my driver's side visor tonight. Worked great!

I picked up one of the 5/16" red cap push on nuts from Tractor Support. I removed the red plastic cap and just used the nut. I pushed it into the visor shaft with the boxed end of a 7/16 wrench.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Had my driver side replaced under warranty sometime last year. Just broke again. Went ahead and fixed it today and figured while I was at it, I'd go ahead and break the passenger side one and fix that too. That was when I noticed a difference between the two that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. My passenger side tube was nice and cylindrical, a surprise after dealing with my driver side tube which was tapered at the tip. The taper caused a split shaft collar to not work because it couldn't clamp evenly. It caused a solid shaft collar not to work because as I rotated the mirror, the set screw would walk up the taper and eventually fall off. I ended up using a push nut (well technically I used a bolt retainer ring) and it worked great. I wish now that I had taken a picture of the tapered tube, but this is more or less what I was dealing with... (Red lines show the approximate size/location of the taper)

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 71A0AF01-C8D2-435F-A75A-4BF1523E13C4_1_201_a

Maybe this was an attempt at a redesign? Tapered tube in order to allow the plastic retaining head to be meatier?

And this was the style of 5/16" bolt retainer ring I used. I didn't cut a groove in the tube, yet the teeth on this thing seem to be biting right into the tube anyways. These were only $.25 at my local ACE Hardware.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 1633482075779

kg4kpg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 JKU
Excellent write up, worked perfect for mine. I ordered enough so when the passenger side breaks I’ll be ready.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Looks like I’ll be doing this fix soon. 🙄Thanks Roanie and everyone else for their solutions!

Sponsored

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
This is GREAT information !!! I purchased a homelink visor on eBay, and lo and behold it arrived with the busted plastic nut. I would have returned it, BUT I had already cut the yellow wire for the homelink power mod. I was going to pitch the visor when I stumbled across this thread.

My couple of tips: If you are doing this for homelink DON"T cut the yellow wire, swap the RED and yellow pins in the connector (do we really need a lighted vanity mirror anyway ?) If you are going to splice I found a red 18 - 22 quick splice made the best connection. And , while a panel trim tool will help seat the 5/16 push nut, a 2lb mallet and a screwdriver will push that nut down so it will NEVER come off.

Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 2

Had I known about the depinning and fixing the plastic nut, I would NOT have cut the yellow wire.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 3

Finished product. I now have homelink AND the lighted vanity mirror ;). Also if you are going to splice, it may be easier to move the splice closer to the plug.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 4

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
thank you so much for this info! this fix cost me 37 cents as i purchased the bolt retainer from ace hardware.

FF773600-B972-4A64-B965-4C4EAA0D50B8.jpeg

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
My just broke as well.

I just used a dermal and shaved the plastic back as above post. I 3d printed an 8mm split collar with 3mm nut and screw. No need to de-pin anything. Visor works fine and I can make unlimited parts if my 3d collar fails. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2940715

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg
Great idea. You've got me thinking I could take one of the metal collars and modify it to become a split collar.
Edit- I found split collars and see others have already posted them. The way to go IMO.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just wanted to drop in on this old thread and report that the fix I did almost 2 years ago is still hanging in there. Hopefully, all the fixes are still working.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I just wanted to drop in on this old thread and report that the fix I did almost 2 years ago is still hanging in there. Hopefully, all the fixes are still working.
I did my repair just over a year ago, and it's all good. Have another collar waiting in my center console in case another ones falls out of mine or my wife's.
Sponsored