Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The Cherokee Auto Start/Stop is different than the JL, it only uses one battery, no aux battery. Did you ever try resetting the battery sensor to resolve battery charging issue?
The aux battery on the Cherokee is right there next to the main.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I have come to the same conclusion for my 2018 3.6L JLUR this weekend. My replacement F150 finally came in a week ago (after a seven month wait) which left my JL sitting in the driveway. When I went to use the JL, the error is back. Mind you, I replaced the AUX battery myself this past April after my dealer refused to replace it, saying my programmer [foolishly left in by me] was the culprit of the AUX battery fail. My biggest fear is the AUX battery continuously draining the main battery if left as is. Maybe time for the bypass hack to avoid this.

And I wonder if a recall has ever been discussed by FCA given the problems people have seen and CAFE needs for this "feature".

UPDATE: Went to move the JL last night and no go. Main battery dead. Thankfully I purchased an Odyssey replacement back in April when I replaced my AUX. Been sitting in the garage waiting for this to happen. That's less than three years for both OEM batteries with no auxiliary add-ons draining them. Guess we'll see how long replacements last.
I can tell you that I’ve had 2 JLs and both had both batteries die within 3 years (closer to 2, actually). They are crap batteries.

Last edited:

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have owned a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and a 2020 JL Wrangler- both with Auto Start/Stop and always after a week or so of daily driving after replacing the Start/Stop secondary battery it just goes back to saying Auto Start/Stop not working battery charging. Jeep just needs to scrap the feature because it is bull s***
You should change the main battery as well. If you're near a Costco, they recently started carrying the H6 AGM for $180. My ESS works even after 2 weeks of no driving.

Pismo61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yep.

Since our Jeep is only used intermittently - we charge the aux with a NOCO5 and the main with a NOCO7200. This way both dissimilar sized batteries are smart maintained optimally and de-sulphated separately using the Repair mode. Dealer has load tested and both 2018 OEM batteries are fine and holding a proper charge. We never have a ESS problem. Each battery holds a different voltage when measured with a multimeter - which is expected.

As posted before - more than likely Stellantis put in dissimilar sized batteries to simply cut costs - and it seems hooking them up in parallel has created a battery lifespan problem. Generally dissimilar batteries should never be connected in parallel - and charged up together. Since one will drain the other and then die prematurely. Just is not a good idea and is a piss poor Jeep design.

For those concerned of a dead aux creating a non-start problem - test yours by disconnecting your aux neg lead. Your Jeep should not start on the first press - then start on the second press with a ESS disabled dash message and icon popping up. Ask your dealer to flash the necessary bypass code to enable this. Otherwise a dead aux might leave you stranded without a bypass.

We have 2 CTEK and 4 NOCO smart chargers with multiple batteries hooked up 24/7. All batteries are fine and engines always start first crank - even after sitting idle for months at a time over winter. Keeping batteries properly smart charged and de-sulphated is definitely key to maximizing our battery lifespans. PITA to separate on the Jeep - but it is what it is.

In reality - Jeep should have just designed something like the Genesis using 2 identical full size batteries with easy access.

7F711A56-399E-42ED-9CAE-3124912C8DB0.jpeg

40108F2C-2FA0-4515-90C3-122B04FB7519.png
Can hook the maintainer to main battery only to maintain both batteries?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Can hook the maintainer to main battery only to maintain both batteries?
@Pismo61

Yes, hooking up a battery maintainer / tender to the Pos and Neg terminals of the Main (AGM) battery alone, will do the deed for both the Main and Aux battery at the same time.

You will want to use a small amp output maintainer/tender since the little AGM, Auxiliary battery is only 200CCA and could possibly be damaged if you were to use a high amp output maintainer/tender.

So, with that said it is would be best to stick with say a 10 amp maintainer/tender that is designed to work with AGM batteries when you are maintaining/tending to both the batteries at the same time.

Also.... in regard to doing both batteries at the same time ....do not hook up/use a full blown battery charger rather then a low amp output battery maintainer/tender..

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have owned a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and a 2020 JL Wrangler- both with Auto Start/Stop and always after a week or so of daily driving after replacing the Start/Stop secondary battery it just goes back to saying Auto Start/Stop not working battery charging. Jeep just needs to scrap the feature because it is bull s***
We're sorry to hear of your frustrations. If you end up visiting a dealership and need some support, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
You should change the main battery as well. If you're near a Costco, they recently started carrying the H6 AGM for $180. My ESS works even after 2 weeks of no driving.
Yeah I'm not buying a battery when my Jeep warranty should address their problem

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I picked up my 2022 Rubicon diesel on the 22nd and drove it home, about 55 miles. I checked the ESS app when I was near home and got the message about ESS not on, battery charging. Jeep starts right up. I put a charger on the Jeep overnight and charger indicated on float In AM. Drove it about 10 miles and still get ESS not available. Was thinking of trying to reset the sensor. My thought is the aux. battery is toast due to the Jeep sitting in storage and shipping for almost 4 months. Just hate the thought of driving back to the dealer already.
I should have run the ESS check before I left the dealer but just wanted to get home. They probably would have said it would reset itself anyways🙄

Sponsored

20JUR

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
. Mine sat at the dealership for three months before I purchased . I placed on charge for two days ESS worked for two days before failing again. Took it to the dealership twice. They put it on charge each time and said everything was fine. I replaced the Aux battery myself and have not had a problem since.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
. Mine sat at the dealership for three months before I purchased . I placed on charge for two days ESS worked for two days before failing again. Took it to the dealership twice. They put it on charge each time and said everything was fine. I replaced the Aux battery myself and have not had a problem since.
Yeah, that’s what I am thinking of doing, hate to drive all the way to the dealer for nothing.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I charged the Jeep for a total of 48 hrs, then reset the battery sensor. Today the auto stop was working. I will see if it still works after a week or so then see about taking it to the dealer.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Curious. Did you remove the fuse box or the side fender to install the aux batt? I saw one guy who just removed the tire and the fender liner (leaving on the actual fender) and was able to access it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Curious. Did you remove the fuse box or the side fender to install the aux batt? I saw one guy who just removed the tire and the fender liner (leaving on the actual fender) and was able to access it.
@Austin23

You risk costly damage pulling the PDC in order to access the Aux battery below the PDC.

Best way to access the Aux battery is by doing a fender liner peel or to pull the flare. Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/
Sponsored