Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just as a heads up, we used a small profile screw on our track bar stabilizer mount stud because we ran into interference issues running the Fox one. If you haven't cycled your suspension and steering to bump yet, you may have components that run into each other.
Thanks Chris. I'll check it out. I did cycle from stop to stop and didn't see anything touching. Unsure if that changes under articulation or not. I'll look again.
Sponsored

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yep. At full suspension compression is where everything gets REALLY tight. If you aren't running bump stop spacers or are running short bump stop spacers, I would definitely recommend checking so you don't run into issues on the trail.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I really wanted to flip the SS back to its factory position and test it but I had already removed all of the mounting points. Also, when I took it off it didn't feel as tight as it did when I put it on 2 weeks before. Like it felt easier to compress. Obviously that is subjective but still.
I was just looking at the OEM setup vs the relocation kits that mount to the tie rod. The OEM mounting point has roughly a 6" lever arm (at the spindle), while the tie rod is at about 8". This would make the relocation kits have a lighter steering feel than OEM and effectively stiffer dampening.

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Motion ratios are the same. Whether in the stock location or relocated, the same amount of stabilizer travel is being used.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Motion ratios are the same. Whether in the stock location or relocated, the same amount of stabilizer travel is being used.
Is that because the other mounting point also moves the same distance?

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I don't see how they could be the same.

Luckily, there's another way we can solve this: Can somebody with a relocated stabilizer measure it's eye-to-eye length with the wheels at full lock, then repeat for the other direction? It's important that you haven't adjusted the steering stops and the tires don't touching the frame.

This can be compared to OEM location's stabilizer's stroke. If they are the same, then it is the same motion ratio.

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
What you are saying is when relocating the stabilizer, a different amount of movement is being seen in the stabilizer. This would only be true if the steering arms the tie rod bolts to are longer (stick out farther from the axle causing a longer throw). And if this was the case, a longer travel steering stabilizer would be required. These are the same concepts as when setting an axle up for custom hydro assist and determining proper cylinder length. As long as the steering stabilizer is in the same relation to the tie rod (parallel to it), the motion ratio is the same.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What you are saying is when relocating the stabilizer, a different amount of movement is being seen in the stabilizer. This would only be true if the steering arms the tie rod bolts to are longer (stick out farther from the axle causing a longer throw). And if this was the case, a longer travel steering stabilizer would be required. These are the same concepts as when setting an axle up for custom hydro assist and determining proper cylinder length. As long as the steering stabilizer is in the same relation to the tie rod (parallel to it), the motion ratio is the same.
But the tie-rod does attach further from the pivot point than the OEM stabilizer, about 2" further by my quick measurements.

The yellow arrow below is the tie-rod mounting point, red arrow is stabilizer.

mopar-77072405-front-axle-assembly-jeep-wrangler-jl-rubicon-installed.jpg

4c6009d6c848c0c22d849921595ce6bb.png

Last edited:

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No, you are pointing at different things between the two images.

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
lol i
hahaha i like the name!

OP
OP

Johns19Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
If you have a recall, get the stabilizer replaced by the dealership. I opted for the Fox 2.0 which is ~$150.

For wandering steering, check your tire pressure and lower it if you're over 40 PSI.
TP is at 35psi across the board. Definitely not that.

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I've only had experience with the stock stabilizer and the Fox ATS Race series. I'm very happy with the fox unit, the adjustability is a great feature to dial in your desired steering stiffness. I did Synergy tie rod and drag link around the same time so it's hard to say what just the stabilizer would do as far as improvement alone but the steering with all of these components is night and day better than stock IMO.
Sponsored