Sponsored

Steering Stabilizer - Which One?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
did you have actual death wobble?
Yes, but it wasn't as bad as I have experienced in the past due to the relatively lower speed and the fact that I noticed pretty early. If I had maintained 45 MPH I'm sure it would have gotten worse.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes, but it wasn't as bad as I have experienced in the past due to the relatively lower speed and the fact that I noticed pretty early. If I had maintained 45 MPH I'm sure it would have gotten worse.
ok, I'm almost positive I have also experienced that also. Of course I also experienced that violent death wobble where it feels the whole end is going to fall off.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
ok, I'm almost positive I have also experienced that also. Of course I also experienced that violent death wobble where it feels the whole end is going to fall off.
I guess it wasn't "Death" wobble... just a wobble episode.

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I guess it wasn't "Death" wobble... just a wobble episode.
I got both that and the violent shake recently so I'm guessing that if you get the wobble episode at slower speeds you will get the violent shake at higher speeds with the right bump or pot hole. I replaced multiple things and checked many other things and finally "fingers crossed" got it fixed.

Unfortunately I don't know the exact cause or the fix. It could have been 1 thing or the sum of multiple things.

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
So that's it? Fox and Falcon are the only recommended stabilizers?
Any obsessive shoppers out there look at any pros and cons?

808State

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So that's it? Fox and Falcon are the only recommended stabilizers?
Any obsessive shoppers out there look at any pros and cons?
I installed the Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 adjustable Steering Stabilizer and set it to the medium setting. It helps a tad bit with wandering but im looking in getting the Synergy front track bar and sector shaft brace. Check out there videos. Looks like thatll help with the JL wandering all over the freeway.

synergy brace.jpg

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 adjustable Steering Stabilizer and set it to the medium setting. It helps a tad bit with wandering but im looking in getting the Synergy front track bar and sector shaft brace. Check out there videos. Looks like thatll help with the JL wandering all over the freeway.

synergy brace.jpg
The sector shaft brace does more for the wandering steering than any stabilizer does. Honestly i keep telling folks that the cheapest stabilizer you can find is just perfect. The stabilizer does very lil. Also like to note Harmonic Oscillation does not go away if you just let off the accelerator, i can not state often enough that the two are unrelated.

808State

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The sector shaft brace does more for the wandering steering than any stabilizer does. Honestly i keep telling folks that the cheapest stabilizer you can find is just perfect. The stabilizer does very lil. Also like to note Harmonic Oscillation does not go away if you just let off the accelerator, i can not state often enough that the two are unrelated.
Thanks for the reply jlopes68. So would it be worth it to purchase and install that synergy track bar brace?

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply jlopes68. So would it be worth it to purchase and install that synergy track bar brace?
I am very pleased with the performance of mine, been on a few weeks now. I would highly recommend it for tightening up the wander.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
awesome. Thank you. Gonna order one. How was the install? Did it yourself?
install was pretty simple and yes i did it myself.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So back to steering stabilizers.... Looking at a fox. Everyone says go with the through shaft. Does it matter if its the adjustable or the regular one? its 125$ difference.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm well aware of what a steering stabilizer does, and used to think that it shouldn't have any effect. But it did. My old stabilizer was somehow better than the brand new replacement one. I went 8042 miles without any steering oscillation issues, and within 30 miles of getting it replaced had some death wobble at 45 MPH.

Here's how my Jeep sits right now:
- V41 Stabilizer is installed correctly
- Updated trackbar 68394087AA NOT installed (currently being shipped)
- torque specs are good, will be re-checking during track bar install
- Caster is +6 degrees (Mopar Lift LCAs) everything else stock JLR
- no sign of broken welds, loose linkage, etc.
- Stock wheels & tires @ 33 PSI​

I still think it's important to consider the impact a different stabilizer could have on any oscillation. Removing it completely could possibly make the death wobble occur at a different speed or even go away completely, just the same as making the stabilizer stiffer. From https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2019/08/10/jeep-death-wobble-fix/1969368001/:
Mark Chernoby, chief technical compliance officer for the Italian-American automaker, said the vibration is not unique to Wranglers and can happen with any solid front axle vehicle. The issue is resonance, he said, describing it as equivalent to hitting a tuning fork.

“if you bang it with that frequency it’ll just sit there and keep going forever. It won’t slow down, it won’t dissipate, and that’s essentially what we’re talking about here with the vibration in the new Wrangler,” Chernoby said. "When you hit a bump in the road, if everything is just right, this suspension can set off that resonance and what we started seeing is as soon as it got cold this past fall, early winter, we started seeing complaints."
Curious your thoughts... I'm having a similar issue and starting to question the SS. Everyone says it doesn't matter but I'm starting to wonder. I had a "death wobble" incident. some may say it was a wobble incident. It was scary as sh*t though. I don't know if you've ever experienced speed wobble on a motorcycle but this was very similar. Anyway... scary. everyone says check, you have something loose. I've checked everything 3 times. I'm feel pretty confident nothing is loose. I don't feel anything is warn, although someone said to check the ball joints.

I don't know enough about SS to understand them. Could orientation matter? the synergy relocation kit has you flip the factory SS so the plastic boot is toward the wheel for more clearance. Could that change how it performs? I didn't think about it until I read your post.
Sponsored