Sponsored

Soft Top window blowing out

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
finally found a thread that is having the same issue I am. It’s been driving me nuts that the c channel let’s the rod just fall right out. I’ve never had the top or windows out so I couldn’t figure out why it was just falling out.

Has anyone been able to reach out to jeep cares and get it replaced or have to go to dealer? Mine is a couple hours away, just to have them look at, order and have to drive back to have put in.
Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
My dealer wrote “Customer states stitching is coming apart.”

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I also took a look at my wife's JLU and she has the Trektop Ultra. It has the glide rails like the factory top but has the Trektop fastback windows. At the lower back corners, Bestop added a piece of retention webbing and a snap to the window that snaps into the tailgate bar retainer. I'm thinking that I am on the right track. A replacement window will be here by tomorrow at the latest.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And also took a look at the Quadratec offerings and their tops have a velcro strip along the entire top of the window instead of the little square of the factory top. Also loks like their side windows wrap around and clip to the tailgate bar. I think they are on to something....

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I got my warranty window and went back to the jeep. The new window clicked in tighter to the tailgate retainer than the one that got run over, but I still believe that corner is the weak link so here is my solution. I drilled a hole in the tailgate bar retainer and drilled another at the same level as the hole in the retainer. then I attached the two with a 4" zip tie. I always carry cutters and scissors in the tool kit and now I carry a bag of 4" zip ties. Cheaper than buying another window because I am probably not going to get another set under warranty. I might get the piece of PVC or copper tubing in the top window channel but I think that this is the solution.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_2556.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_2555.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_2554.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_2553.JPG

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my fix for the issue if it could help someone out. It has held the window in place for over 300 miles of highway speed, with both front windows rolled down. It may be a permanent solution for me until I can conjure up something nicer.

1) Buy a 54 cents 1/2" copper coupling.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Coupling-Fitting-with-Stop-C600HD12/100342365
2) Saw down the length to turn it into a "C" clamp of sort
3) Slip it onto the plastic track flange on the window panel
4) Install the window
5) slide the coupling up to the lolly pop awning rail

Love this fix, and am getting ready to do the same on my Jeep. Now that it's been years and probably many miles later, how's it holding up? Any other mods you've made, or is still effective as-is?

JDJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
Love this fix, and am getting ready to do the same on my Jeep. Now that it's been years and probably many miles later, how's it holding up? Any other mods you've made, or is still effective as-is?
Still effective as it. The price for that copper fitting has jumped nearly 50% in my area since then.

Last edited:

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Still effective as it. This is no longer an issue for me.

Still effective as it. The price for that copper fitting has jumped nearly 50% in my area since then.
Thanks for the quick reply! Interesting about the price too. They are 75 cents each at Las Vegas area Home Depots.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies...it is difficult to tell from the photos, but did you install the sleeve all the way forward or all the way to the rear of the window's C-channels? Seems like forward makes the most sense, but just wanted to confirm. Much appreciated.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out D8EAA148-4C8B-4A64-96E8-C2269F88BCB8

So I was putting the windows in yesterday ana noticed that there is an extension of the lower tab that will tuck in around the corner of the tub. I hadn’t noticed that extension before and I figure that it was not properly tucked in and that was the main reason that the the window blew out. I’m still tying them in with zip ties but this is probably the reason.

Sponsored

22Conrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon, 2020 Q50
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out D8EAA148-4C8B-4A64-96E8-C2269F88BCB8

So I was putting the windows in yesterday ana noticed that there is an extension of the lower tab that will tuck in around the corner of the tub. I hadn’t noticed that extension before and I figure that it was not properly tucked in and that was the main reason that the the window blew out. I’m still tying them in with zip ties but this is probably the reason.
That photo is so close and the angle makes it tough to really tell what I'm looking at. Can you share more detail?

The better half has our truck out and this thread has me all paranoid now.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic

I'll be darned... I just went out and looked and found the same part (after the curve cut out you show) tucked under. I never saw it before. Just got it tucked in - I don't expect any difference but found something I never saw before. Thanks!

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That photo is so close and the angle makes it tough to really tell what I'm looking at. Can you share more detail?

The better half has our truck out and this thread has me all paranoid now.
It's the part of the belt that goes around the corner of the tub. I had not noticed it before then and as before I believe that the corner let go and that is why my windows blew out. I have been zip tying them in and I intend to continue.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
This is the same idea I had, I'm glad it's worked for you.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my fix for the issue if it could help someone out. It has held the window in place for over 300 miles of highway speed, with both front windows rolled down. It may be a permanent solution for me until I can conjure up something nicer.

1) Buy a 54 cents 1/2" copper coupling.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Coupling-Fitting-with-Stop-C600HD12/100342365
2) Saw down the length to turn it into a "C" clamp of sort
3) Slip it onto the plastic track flange on the window panel
4) Install the window
5) slide the coupling up to the lolly pop awning rail
Always thought this was a great idea, but was also a little concerned about the sharp edges of the clamp damaging the plastic C-channel and surrounding fabric. To help alleviate this, I sprayed with several coats of Plasti-Dip, and it worked great. Only issue was that this can sprayed a lot of gloppy globs along with the normal-sized droplets, so it left a "textured" appearance on the clamps. No worries though...nobody will notice or care, and it seems like the rougher surface actually makes it a little grippier to prevent sliding off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top window blowing out IMG_4600.JPG

All that said, I'm still not 100% clear about where these are supposed to go. I find that I can slide them along the rear of the C-channel and just over the "bullet" tip until it hits the plastic structure attached the soft top's tubular strip. However, there's just enough room on the front end of the C-channel to do the same thing on the other end. FWIW, maybe it's a good idea to make another set and install them in the back and front. Thoughts?
Sponsored