Sponsored

Soft top issues-window blew out and top will not lock down

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
My dealership replaced my 18 Wrsnglrr JLU premium soft top a couple of months ago and I have never been able to get the top to lock when it is in the down position. This weekend while driving on the interstate the driver side window blew off without any warning whatsoever. I was able to recover the window; however, the plastic piece that snaps in on the corner is broken off at the top. Can I replace just that plastic pillar or do I need to replace the whole window? Has anyone else had these issues? I can’t believe a replacement windows is $389 and I am really frustrated that I have to pay for that. I’ve owned a Jeep for years and know how to install windows. That window was secured when I drove off that morning.
Sponsored

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
You have to replace the window. There is no way to remove and reinstall the corner yourself. As far as the top not locking. You mean you cannot close the latches tight? The cold winter means the top will not stretch as much as it will when it is warmer, but I would think your dealer who installed the top should have dealt with this before now.

OP
OP
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
You have to replace the window. There is no way to remove and reinstall the corner yourself. As far as the top not locking. You mean you cannot close the latches tight? The cold winter means the top will not stretch as much as it will when it is warmer, but I would think your dealer who installed the top should have dealt with this before now.
Thank you for your reply. No, I mean when I fold the top down and push down on the two levers to lock it into place it does not lock.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Can't speak to the top locking down, but as long as the vinyl glass isn't too jacked up, you should actually be able to replace the C pillar so to speak. It's held onto the window by four Torx screws. Whether that is a replacement part you can get from a Mopar site, I'm not sure, might need to ask around here for someone's worn out window or check a pick and pull yard.

OP
OP
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Can't speak to the top locking down, but as long as the vinyl glass isn't too jacked up, you should actually be able to replace the C pillar so to speak. It's held onto the window by four Torx screws. Whether that is a replacement part you can get from a Mopar site, I'm not sure, might need to ask around here for someone's worn out window or check a pick and pull yard.
Thank you so much.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'd take the top back to the installer considering it won't lock in the down position. That's a safety issue and indicative of a botched install.

Just curious as to HOW the rear side window blew out. Was the top up, in sun-rider position, or folded down? Windows up or down? I've been thru a lot of wind on this trip with all the rear windows in place, but front windows down and/or the top in the Sunrider position. I'm always worried about the rear windows catching a weird gust of wind and popping out.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I’m confused by this. Did you try to put the top all the way down with the side windows in place? If so you did it wrong. You have to remove the side windows I order to take the top down. It clearly states that in the manual.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I’m confused by this. Did you try to put the top all the way down with the side windows in place? If so you did it wrong. You have to remove the side windows I order to take the top down. It clearly states that in the manual.
I think it's two separate issues - with windows out, OP can't get top to positively lock (get the "click") when in the down position, and also OP lost window on the highway with the top up and secured.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
It's why I won't run on the highway with the top only partially open. The windows will not stay put like the JK series where they zipped in placed.

OP
OP
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I think it's two separate issues - with windows out, OP can't get top to positively lock (get the "click") when in the down position, and also OP lost window on the highway with the top up and secured.
Yes I’m sorry. I guess I didn’t word it correctly. Two completely separate issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Everything was all buttoned up. A friend was riding in the backseat and said there was absolutely no warning. It just flew right off.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Pictures are worth a thousand words, but unfortunately the entire quarter window assembly is sold as a unit. You may want to look online as I think the tinted quarter window for my wrangler is $185.

Not sure about why the top doesn't latch, if you were to show pictures of the issues I'm sure the Jeepers here would be able to tell you what is going on.

Purple Turtle

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Purple TJ, 2021 HellaYella JLUR
There is another thread on this. The dealership just replaced mine under warranty. Just have to prod them some and make them call their rep.

Purple Turtle

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Purple TJ, 2021 HellaYella JLUR
Also, the other thread has some ideas from other jeepers, like stated above, to fix the problem. There seems to be 2 causes. 1 is the rubber channel on the top gets wider than it should be, one persons fix is to put a piece of pipe on it to keep it closed, look at the other thread as they have pictures.
Another issue is not latching properly in the bottom corner. One person put a cotter pin there... also in the same thread, I think I will be looking into this.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Thank you for your reply. No, I mean when I fold the top down and push down on the two levers to lock it into place it does not lock.
I have a set of these for her's and mine. My locks seem to work but I don't like top cloth flapping around and these wrap around the top and attach to the D rings.
Sponsored