Sponsored

Soft top side window issue

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Trying to install the soft top side windows for the first time. They aren't long enough by 1/4 - 3/8" to engage on the back "connector". I've tugged at them like a teenage boy with no results.

I've even shouted really bad words at them and that didn't seem to help either.

Tips please...
Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
You have to threaten them with buying a hard top.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Slide the "torpedo" into the tube at the top. Then insert the top tab into the top and push the lower connector in. Then install the front and bottom. I also drilled two small holes, one in the tailgate retainer bar and one in the lower hard plastic that sits behind the back window and I zip tie them together. Lost them both getting on the interstate about a month ago.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also drilled two small holes, one in the tailgate retainer bar and one in the lower hard plastic that sits behind the back window and I zip tie them together. Lost them both getting on the interstate about a month ago.
That's my fear. The rest of the soft top install was seamless and impressed me as a fellow Engineer. These seem Mickey Mouse at best to me.

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Leave them in the sun for a while - heat will allow the pieces to expand and stretch when you pull on them to make them engage. Connect the top, then the back, then pull on the front to fold the plastic piece into the slot. The trick is getting the plastic piece started in the slot. If you get it started, the rest should follow. Oh, and don't forget to fold the tab on the bottom into its slot. It will be hard the first time but gets easier as it loosens up.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Is there a trick to hanging the storage bag on the front seatbacks without the windows kinking inside the bag? The windows are wider than the interior. Do you roll the ends ( where the the rigid corner pieces are)to the inside of the cargo space to make it fit better?

sdvikings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon XR
Is there a trick to hanging the storage bag on the front seatbacks without the windows kinking inside the bag? The windows are wider than the interior. Do you roll the ends ( where the the rigid corner pieces are)to the inside of the cargo space to make it fit better?
Yes I'm very curious about this also, watching......

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that's what I did. But I was dissatisfied with that because it interfered with anything I put in the cargo area and made it hard to get to them if I needed to put them back on quickly. My solution was to buy a tonneau cover for the cargo area - one that did not use the window side rails - and then laid the bag across the top of the tonneau and strapped the window bag to the back of the seats. Used bungees to strap the bottom of the bag to hooks on the side of the tub.
This allowed the cargo area behind the tailgate to be used and I could have the windows accessible when I needed them.

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Worked well with the 4 door, not sure about a 2 door.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK the sun did the trick, good thing its like 100° here, it gave me that extra 1/4" but....

The bottom rear plastic portion of the windows sure doesn't seem to "snap/lock in or anything"

Just doesn't seem very secure to me.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top side window issue 20220625_182418

It should lock into this hook. But the back window tab hooking into the side window slot does most of the work of locking the side window in place. Which is why you can't drive with the back window out and the side windows on.
Sponsored