Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
  • Banned
On the highway today and the rear driver side premium soft top window blew out and hit the highway. It was run over of course. Top up and windows down, Speed was 65 I know all the flaps were tucked and the channel threaded properly as it took the tapered tip with it. At least with a zipper it would stay with the Jeep. Anyone else have issues with the window not staying in-place? A full line of Velcro on the top might be better than just the small patch.
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
That sucks.

Terryg43

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2Dr.
Occupation
Retired
On the highway today and the rear driver side premium soft top window blew out and hit the highway. It was run over of course. Top up and windows down, Speed was 65 I know all the flaps were tucked and the channel threaded properly as it took the tapered tip with it. At least with a zipper it would stay with the Jeep. Anyone else have issues with the window not staying in-place? A full line of Velcro on the top might be better than just the small patch.
Did you have your back window in place or was it out ? I've been at 65mph on the interstate with the top in the Sunrider position , door windows down but side and rear windows in place with no issues .

OP
OP
GordonZoo

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
  • Banned
All three were locked in. All I can imaging is the inside pressure bowed it out and it popped out. Top closed but door windows open. There was a loud pop and it was gone. I plan to put Velcro on where I can in the future so if it were to let go again it will stay with the Wrangler.

Sponsored

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had the passenger window come partially off once. Havenā€™t had a problem since though. Now I double check the windows before driving

Terryg43

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2Dr.
Occupation
Retired
All three were locked in. All I can imaging is the inside pressure bowed it out and it popped out. Top closed but door windows open. There was a loud pop and it was gone. I plan to put Velcro on where I can in the future so if it were to let go again it will stay with the Wrangler.
Wow ! That scares the hell out of me as we run that way a lot . Sometimes with the top open , sometimes closed . Will have to keep a close watch on ours .

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
That blows... literally, I guess.

Were you able to retrieve it? Iā€™d try to get the dealer to replace under warranty, assuming it got all scratched to hell when it was run over.

Not implying user error, but itā€™s easy to not snap the pillar clip thing in correctly. My system of installing the side windows has evolved over time, and now I do it this way:
  • Slide window on to rail
  • Pop in the top of the rear pillar section. You know itā€™s right when the bottom clip is perfectly lined up with its receptacle
  • Before snapping in the clip, pull the bottom tab/rib/whatever-you-call-it down a bit on the pillar side so that when you snap in the pillar that tab is in position for mating with the channel
  • Snap in the pillar
  • Mate the bottom tab thing with the channel, working from the pillar toward the front of the Jeep
  • Mate the side tab. I go from top to bottom, but either direction is possible
  • Adjust velcro, as needed
  • Make sure the roof/top overlaps the window where itā€™s supposed to
  • Check and gently tug pillar to make sure itā€™s snapped it, correctly

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely a bummer. I canā€™t help but wonder if the top plastic ā€˜ziplocā€™ wasnā€™t seated properly. I know I have only done my windows a couple times so far and and am still getting used to it vs the zippers. My rear window though does seem to disengage the bottom rail flaps (on the ends, not the tailgate piece) when I drive at highway speeds and have the door windows down, not a huge deal, but seems to be a bit of a design opportunity.

OP
OP
GordonZoo

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I finally got my parts guy to find the specific number today to be able to order just the corner panel. Just a FYI, I'm not the first as the parts dept guy said another person at the dealership also ordered a corner panel due to it falling out. I still have to make the pointed lead in to thread the top part of the window as it pulled out with the window and it was suggested that I do use a heavy grade Velcro to help keep it place as insurance.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally got my parts guy to find the specific number today to be able to order just the corner panel. Just a FYI, I'm not the first as the parts dept guy said another person at the dealership also ordered a corner panel due to it falling out. I still have to make the pointed lead in to thread the top part of the window as it pulled out with the window and it was suggested that I do use a heavy grade Velcro to help keep it place as insurance.
How much did a new panel cost?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
GordonZoo

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Not in stock and I have no ETA but a wild ass guess that it could be around October going off the back-order log on the entire soft tops. By then I will have put my hard top back on. I'm currently playing roulette by going safari and hoping I don't get caught in a cloud burst.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Damn that sucks. I have driven probably 300 Miles at highway speed up to 75-80 with no doors and all three windows in. No issues.

I can say that one time I didnā€™t have the back window channeled in right but you should have been able to notice it. The back window really secures the rest it seems.
Sponsored