tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Found out the other day that if you open front and rear doors at the same time the step will not deploy!
Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I installed my set two weekends ago, a 2nd set of hand does help but I was able to install solo. Also installed the additional skid plate and led kit. No complaints thus far, wife and kids love it no more helping them in and out.

I haven't tried to open front and back door at the same time (As that is an unlikely scenario) but did read if you open/close the door too fast too many times the system may need a reset.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I checked these out at the Jeep show in Myrtle Beach this past weekend. If I am to lift the Jeep and get the 37’s, momma has to be able to get in. These look like the ticket. Should have them in a few weeks.

Altitude

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Ul
Labor for install is $800 around here. I've checked several places and they're all the same. So having to pay even half the labor AGAIN, isn't a realistic option for the vast majority.

This has been at the top of list of next mods. I get that there are probably plenty of people that have had great success with RSE. But there are sufficient people with issues that I have to pause. There is really only one other similar product out there, but the reviews for survivability when using it as an actual slider aren't that great.
I installed mine myself and it took about 6 hours. Had to remove one as the motor failed and it came off in an hour. Seems that once the body mounts are loosened, just have to take out the 4 body bracket bolts and the 6 body seam bolts they come off easy and leave the body brackets on the Jeep

Last edited:

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Installed easily. Wiring took about 2 hours. Taking the interior trim pieces off was the hard part. Only issue I had was assembling the connectors for the wires that run thru the floor. The connector is marked with a color of the wire that goes into what side of the connector. Just go with the color that is on the connector.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock slide Engineering fail 7FC503F6-47A5-47A2-B165-42F79519F9F2

Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you who installed these themself, how hard was it to loosen the body mounting bolts? I have heard of these braking.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
For those of you who installed these themself, how hard was it to loosen the body mounting bolts? I have heard of these braking.
I have an early 18 build and those had a few breaking I guess. I installed mine and I did not have the issue. I used a good old fashion socket with a SMALL breaker bar and went slow. I did mine before anyone reported a single bolt to break so I did not know any better. I assume doing it my way vs an impact wrench that is what saved my a$$.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I have an early 18 build and those had a few breaking I guess. I installed mine and I did not have the issue. I used a good old fashion socket with a SMALL breaker bar and went slow. I did mine before anyone reported a single bolt to break so I did not know any better. I assume doing it my way vs an impact wrench that is what saved my a$$.
Yes I am sure it did. A little back and forth help with the bar I am sure.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Installed mine over a couple days. One day for the steps, one day for the electrical which took most of the time. No broken body bolts. Just needed a long breaker bar and some careful back and forth action to break up the loctite. The wiring was kind of a pain or should I say the interior trim removal was a pain. It took longer to do the wiring nice and neat than it took to install the steps. I took my time positioning the magnets to make sure they are centered with the sensor and wont actuate the steps accidently if the door isn't closed all the way or if the magnet moves slightly. I had the wife help install the bump strip on the body and then help lift the step into position. Once it was in position she could let go and it will hang by itself until you get the nuts started. Very simply install mechanically. Like I said earlier, just the wiring part was the most time consuming.

Function and reliability remain to be seen but I have faith in these. I think the design and engineering are great. To be able to have a step that comes down as far as these do and have all the components inside the slider protected took a lot of engineering. Everything seems really robust and well made. I also highly doubt that RSE makes the motor actuator themselves but simply sources them from an OEM. I didn't look at the motor that close before I installed them to find out. I have AMP Research steps on my Duramax and even those fail to deploy or get sticky every now and then. You can't use AMP steps as a slider though or they will surely break.

RSE.jpg

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
About a month ago I rode thru some crazy deep water/ice/mud puddles late at night. When I woke up in the morning, the Jeep was one huge mud ice ball. Surprisingly, the driver side step came down and worked perfectly. However, the passenger side was frozen. The next day when I had some time, I scraped all the ice out of the seams where the step would deploy. Nothing. Didn’t work. I pulled it down by hand and it wouldn’t extend all the way. When I closed the door it did nothing. I took some PB penetrator and sprayed the crap out of all the joints. After helping the step up and down a few times, it worked. I honestly thought it was shot. Overall, I’ve been very happy with them.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
About a month ago I rode thru some crazy deep water/ice/mud puddles late at night. When I woke up in the morning, the Jeep was one huge mud ice ball. Surprisingly, the driver side step came down and worked perfectly. However, the passenger side was frozen. The next day when I had some time, I scraped all the ice out of the seams where the step would deploy. Nothing. Didn’t work. I pulled it down by hand and it wouldn’t extend all the way. When I closed the door it did nothing. I took some PB penetrator and sprayed the crap out of all the joints. After helping the step up and down a few times, it worked. I honestly thought it was shot. Overall, I’ve been very happy with them.
I use there silicone spray about every few washes on all the moving parts. Seems to be the best solution for snowy and ice areas. My first winter I had your same problem.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I installed them by myself a couple weeks ago. Loosening the body bolts was kinda sketchy since every now and then they would let out a loud POP! I'd go back and forth with the bolts a few times while loosening, but a couple of them fought the whole way. Removing the interior trim pieces was kind of a pain as well. I hate removing those things.

I was impressed by the quality of everything, especially the wiring and instructions. I wasnt really sure where to put the LEDs so I put them inside the slider on the strip that attached to the body. They light up the steps and the ground.

I will be at Winter Jamboree next week and hopefully can get a good deal on the armor. Pretty sure I'm running at least one of their sponsored trails.

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 WJ, 18 Challenger, 02&04 WRX, 73 FJ40

i have '18 JLUR.... installed slider myself with extra set of hands (GF).....took about 5 hours total install time......luckily no issues with body bolts breaking but you do hear a loud pop when loosening the bolts....i live in so-cal and noticed that while we were in big bear during winter storm, sliders did not want to deploy due to ice so i just turned it off...occasionally have issues with passenger side being slow deploying and retracting but after cleaning it then spraying WD40, all is good......we have had the sliders for over a year now...best mod for ease of getting in and out of jeep on 35s with 2.5 inch lift

need help installing it, hit me up

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Bumping this old thread. I have these on my JTR, and now that is has gotten much colder, driver side retracts slower, and if below 30, does not fully rectract by about a 1/2" and rattles like crazy.
Anyone else had this issue?

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Bumping this old thread. I have these on my JTR, and now that is has gotten much colder, driver side retracts slower, and if below 30, does not fully rectract by about a 1/2" and rattles like crazy.
Anyone else had this issue?
I have not had this issue, however, these sliders do not like snow or ice. When I drive in snow, the snow and ice builds up on the slider and stop it from working. I have to disable the sliders. Not looking forward to that as my short legs are going to have a problem getting into the jeep.
Sponsored