Sponsored

Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I’ve had the opportunity to try out my plugs a few time since my install and made a few tweaks. At first, it was much better towards the sides, but I noticed a little icing in the center because not enough hot air was hitting the windshield. Rather than remove some of the plugs, I drilled small holes in the plugs that are located under where the driver-side windshield wiper sits so a touch mire hot air can hit the wiper. It seems to be working how Jeep should have designed the vents in the first place. I drove around in record snow yesterday (snow falling at 2” per hour with over 20” in to total), and only had a little icing on the driver’s side, where the wiper hits the end of its reach and deposits the snow. This is to be expected. My wipers never iced over and my view was always clear. Not once did I have to stop and scrape ice off the windshield. Very happy!!

30863B6A-DE2E-4E04-8EBB-509913AF6989.jpeg
sounds like you got it dialed in. Remind me again what you used for materials? Did you buy or 3D print? Sorry it’s a long thread to back over.
Sponsored

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’ve had the opportunity to try out my plugs a few time since my install and made a few tweaks. At first, it was much better towards the sides, but I noticed a little icing in the center because not enough hot air was hitting the windshield. Rather than remove some of the plugs, I drilled small holes in the plugs that are located under where the driver-side windshield wiper sits so a touch mire hot air can hit the wiper. It seems to be working how Jeep should have designed the vents in the first place. I drove around in record snow yesterday (snow falling at 2” per hour with over 20” in to total), and only had a little icing on the driver’s side, where the wiper hits the end of its reach and deposits the snow. This is to be expected. My wipers never iced over and my view was always clear. Not once did I have to stop and scrape ice off the windshield. Very happy!!

Price?

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door

What size drill bit did you use?

Sponsored

LizardBoy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2019 2.0L

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
So, this would be the 10% of conditions you mentioned earlier? Do you know what those conditions are such as temp/humidity/precipitation/etc? I'd be curious to poll the JL owners in the midwest who had the -50 F temps, the areas where they were doing the "boiling water challenge" (where boiling water thrown into the air froze mid-air). What was their experience and why haven't we heard from more folks?
I'm in WA, and just had this issue this past saturday when I had to go over the mountains to take some stuff to Spokane.

Started Snowing at about MP 34 just out of North Bend & by the time I reached the summit, it was a literal blizzard (variable speed zone, limit was set at 45, but in all honesty, everyone was doing about 25 due to poor visibility).

Several times, I ended having to pull off an exit & scrape snow/slush/ice off my LED headlights and fog lights (but THAT is another topic altogether), so took a few extra seconds to clear the snow & ice buildup of fthe wipers at the same time.

By the time I got to Cle Elum, temps were in the low teens with intermittent heavy snow..what snow fell, melted on the center portion of the windshield, got pushed to the edges & promptly froze

fortunately, the snow stopped & the windshield eventually cleared completely.

my package of plugs came today and are installed...keeping my fingers crossed until the next time I need to drive in that crap

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
O K you made me go look for these. Here is a picture of the plugs showing top, side and bottom views. Also is the packing bag with the guys name i got them from.
Don’t know if he’s still on ebay.
A word of caution....if your not careful and put them in straight they can possibly fall into the hole and be a real bear to get out.
0E44722A-D393-43FA-B3F8-D25C9C9A4399.jpeg
I only started noticing the uneven defrost issue when I put my 35s on and my Jeep no longer fit in my Garage. :) I bought the same bag of 5/8" plugs from dangoodbuy. They came in, I installed them like this (x is a plug; 0 is noplug).

0000000000xxxxxxxxxx00xx00xx00xxxxxxxxxx0000000000

The windshield is defrosting more evenly, but I doubt it'll ever be completely even.

I also noticed one of the plugs fell through the hole when I pushed it in just a bit too hard.

Luckily I had my Swiss Army Knife with me, and was able to grab it and pull it out.

They've got a dozen or so packs of 24 left if anyone is looking:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Square-...Great-for-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Vents/254075679696

rocklobster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray,Rubicon,Manual,1974 Jensen Interceptor.previously 2007 Steel blue JKU,2010 Stone white JKU,2013 JKU Rock Lobster,Sahara,
I have already been printing prototype ones (see above) and I am now printing them in black as a "finished" print. Assuming I don't have any major changes, I'll probably put these models up on Thingiverse for anyone who wants to print them out. The only restriction really is that they are long prints, so you need a larger bed (I have to turn them 45 degrees to fit them on my print bed)
Hi, did you ever post to Thingiverse? I would like to print one, it should come included with every Wrangler!... :)

Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Depending on how many people are interested, I don't think I'd have a problem printing them for people if they pay for shipping/plastic (which the plastic cost is negligible for a print like this anyway)

PM me costs for product and shipping to 17754. I like this sleeker design. Thanks!

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Wanted to see if we can pick this topic back up. Does anyone here sell their 3D printed solutions?