Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
I'm getting closer to a final defrost modification setup. You'll see in the photos that I my last task is to shape the air flow a bit more on the passenger side but overall a huge improvement over oem. Once it's finalized I'll paint it black and make two more sets for my wife's and sister's JL.
I used 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum and used a metal punch to place the holes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

punch.JPG
Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
vents.jpg

When I use the windshield defrost, I get warm air coming out of the green area but no airflow at all from the red area. (Of course this picture omits the passenger side of the dashboard but it's the same thing on that side.)
So does anyone have any updates on this? Has anyone had a dealer fix this or even recognize this as not functioning properly?
I'm going to include this problem with my clutch recall when I take it in. I've got the one Star case number (S1924000008) & the factory debris removal story from this thread but if anyone has any other information or successful resolutions of getting air to blow from all the holes, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
In Jeep's opinion there is nothing to fix, works as designed. As owner's that is the issue, poor design.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm getting closer to a final defrost modification setup. You'll see in the photos that I my last task is to shape the air flow a bit more on the passenger side but overall a huge improvement over oem. Once it's finalized I'll paint it black and make two more sets for my wife's and sister's JL.
I used 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum and used a metal punch to place the holes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

punch.JPG
My final adjustments worked fine for me. The best fix would have been a shaped plenum under the defrost grid but that's for Jeep to do.
IMG_4366.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us went with black plastic end caps plugged into some of the holes in the defroster outlet. Low cost and easily adaptable to each Jeep needs. You aren't going to get them to fix anything, it's been that way for decades, a lot better now than it was in my 1980 CJ5.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Some of us went with black plastic end caps plugged into some of the holes in the defroster outlet. Low cost and easily adaptable to each Jeep needs. You aren't going to get them to fix anything, it's been that way for decades, a lot better now than it was in my 1980 CJ5.
The guy in post #104/#107 says his was fixed by a dealer & has good airflow from the entire vent. But he's basically the only one to say that. So I was just wondering if anyone in this thread that said they were going to have a dealer look at it have the same outcome.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want to sell as set?
The pics should help you make a set from scratch. The aluminum is ~ $4 and the metal punch ~$30. Once you've used that punch a couple times you'll be happy you've got it for other projects.

defrost final.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Go check out TFL review of the wrangler on YouTube the front window defrost they commented as in horrendous they better start fixing these with the Ford bronco around the corner

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
In Jeep's opinion there is nothing to fix, works as designed. As owner's that is the issue, poor design.
The guy in post #104/#107 says his was fixed by a dealer & has good airflow from the entire vent. But he's basically the only one to say that. So I was just wondering if anyone in this thread that said they were going to have a dealer look at it have the same outcome.
This issue needs to be recalled by FCA is this not a safety issue at the front windshield cannot be defrosted properly it’s a visibility problem?

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
there is a guy on ebay or online that sells little square plastics plugs that fit into the air outlets.
By blocking some of the holes in the middle it forces the air to the ends. They are made for chain leg bottoms but fit perfectly.

Had them on my Sahara, have not yet put them on the new one yet. Waiting till cold weather and when i can remember where i put them.

JUST ADDED:
Sorry that this,is a repeat of an item posted a while ago by another form member.
But i’ll leave it for anybody that missed the prior posting

Last edited:

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
O K you made me go look for these. Here is a picture of the plugs showing top, side and bottom views. Also is the packing bag with the guys name i got them from.
Don’t know if he’s still on ebay.
A word of caution....if your not careful and put them in straight they can possibly fall into the hole and be a real bear to get out.
0E44722A-D393-43FA-B3F8-D25C9C9A4399.jpeg

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Now that Spring is here I am starting to plan for next winter. I am thinking of going with this solution if possible and cutting it so it goes from one side of the windshield to the other.

https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-front-wiper-defrosters.htm

Single Piece Front Windshield Defroster – Wiper Parking Area
1206-4871-L-FWH-HD

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
The plugs work pretty good, but sometimes blow out on cold startups and turbines blowing on full. My brother and I are working on a 3d printed solution and hopefully takes it up another level.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
O K you made me go look for these. Here is a picture of the plugs showing top, side and bottom views. Also is the packing bag with the guys name i got them from.
Don’t know if he’s still on ebay.
A word of caution....if your not careful and put them in straight they can possibly fall into the hole and be a real bear to get out.
0E44722A-D393-43FA-B3F8-D25C9C9A4399.jpeg
Yep, have to watch out for pushing in too hard on them. I sometimes have one edge popup a little on some of them when defroster is running but still a lot better than no side coverage and no one can tell they aren't OEM.
Sponsored