Question About Distance Between Regens

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
I am running the Scangauge 2 in my 21 JLURD. I historically have seen a regen triggered at 850 miles, even if the soot levels are below 80%. My gauge is currently reading 1100 miles since the last regen. Is anyone else seeing this same behavior?

Keep Jeep’n
Sponsored

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
It depends on the type of driving you are doing. More highway or high EGT temps, mean you'll need less regens.

Due to my short drives, I've done 3 regens in ~500 miles.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I make exclusively short hops (five miles on surface streets) and I average around 175 miles per regen.

OP, doesn't Scangauge count the number of active regens? If so, try dividing your total mileage by the total regens since new. Is that number in 850ish range?

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
My gauge bounces around between 10 and 30. I’m not sure what that means.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My gauge bounces around between 10 and 30. I’m not sure what that means.
The range most of us see is 8-80%, with a progressive 1% (upward) change at a time.

Sponsored

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
Is that miles?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is that miles?
I think that you are addressing my post. The numbers all refer to the percentage DPF capacity used. 100% = DPF is completely full.

OP
OP

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
Quick update….

I took an extended trip in one of our vehicles, so the Jeep hasn’t been racking up any miles. That being said, the distance since last regen continues to increase. I believe it is around 1450 miles now. I am just confused, because many others stated that a regen will occur around 800 miles, even if your DPF is below 80%. In fact, when you hit the mileage, the DPF actually jumps to 80 or 100% and starts the regen process.

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So, here are my thoughts based on something I ran into myself.....

I purchased the ScanGauge 3, mostly to monitor regens. I was feeling some concern as I was not seeing any active regens happening. When I set the SG3 up it ran right up to showing regen at 100%, meaning full. It sat there for longer than I felt comfortable with. I then purchased and OBD and JSCAN. I used JSACN to force a regen. After that I have been very regular. Active regen are trigger at 80% and stop at around 8.7%. I believe something was stopping my Jeep from running the regen and it was necessary to force. All anecdotal of course. But it sounds like you are in the same boat.....

I have a thread in this forum on my exp.

Chris

OP
OP

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
@IllinoisChris - thanks for sharing. I will look into it. I am sitting a 70% right now, and I am hoping the 80% threshold will trigger the regen, even though the mileage didn’t seem to trigger it. Maybe there is a number of days between regens that keeps the mileage from triggering a regen every 800-ish miles. That would make sense for long trips and frequent highway use. There would be no reason to force the regen after 800 miles if it just ran earlier that day during your road trip.

Thanks again.

Keep Jeep’n

Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
I finally got the message telling me to keep driving a regen is in progress coming home from work yesterday. For those wondering it is not a subtle one time beep. The message came up on the dash and stayed. Then every time I even slowed down a bit it chimed again to ‘keep driving’. I’m at almost 12k miles and first time seeing this. I don’t have scan gauge so havnt ever forced a regen either. It took maybe 15-20 min driveling on the freeway before it chimes in that is was complete. Here was the message:
Jeep Wrangler JL Question About Distance Between Regens IMG_2004

*Note the 12mpg was because I was driving up a hill

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I finally got the message telling me to keep driving a regen is in progress coming home from work yesterday. For those wondering it is not a subtle one time beep. The message came up on the dash and stayed. Then every time I even slowed down a bit it chimed again to ‘keep driving’. I’m at almost 12k miles and first time seeing this. I don’t have scan gauge so havnt ever forced a regen either. It took maybe 15-20 min driveling on the freeway before it chimes in that is was complete. Here was the message:
IMG_2004.jpeg

*Note the 12mpg was because I was driving up a hill
That's a little more of a this-is-your-last-warning message than a regen-in-process message. It means that you've shut down your engine (at 80%) so many times that the situation is becoming dire as you approach TOTALLY full. A Scangauge/iDash is really an inexpensive must for these vehicles. That way you would have seen how many aborted regens you've had.

The two must have mods for this engine are a Scangauge and a throttle enhancer.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
That's a little more of a this-is-your-last-warning message than a regen-in-process message. It means that you've shut down your engine (at 80%) so many times that the situation is becoming dire as you approach TOTALLY full. A Scangauge/iDash is really an inexpensive must for these vehicles. That way you would have seen how many aborted regens you've had.

The two must have mods for this engine are a Scangauge and a throttle enhancer.
Ok. I always take a second before I turn off the engine with it in Park to see if a ‘Regen in Progress’ message appears but never seen anything until this.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok. I always take a second before I turn off the engine with it in Park to see if a ‘Regen in Progress’ message appears but never seen anything until this.
There is no such thing as a routine "Regen in progress" message - normal regens are not announced. As I mentioned, yours was a last ditch warning, not an alert. You'll really enjoy your diesel better with a Scangauge. [I know, Jeep should have made it standard equipment. :)]

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
5,400 miles in seven weeks (man time flies) and no such warning. I do not have monitoring or anything added like that. I do use DEF though.
Sponsored