Regens after a month of ownership...

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
My 2500 would enter regen when soot level was between 80 and 88%, allowing it to get closer to 100% could be dangerous given the circumstances. Probably not a liability they are willing to assume with current owner mindsets.
Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
So it looks like this is by design to regen at 80% or every 700-800 miles. Or it could be possible that Scangauge is not reading the STM correctly. I wonder if those who have the Banks iDash can confirm the same thing.
This is correct , 80% or 700-800 miles . my average is 600+- with the derringer on 6 and short trips . I’ve had 17 active regens in the last 8700 miles (Alfa OBD) listed . I don’t see the regen timing map in HPTUNERS

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Well took me a bit since I don't drive the jeep every day. Last regen according to banks data monster was 1460 miles ago. It was at 46 percent. Gauge jumped to 80 percent and then showed pas regen counted down from there to 9 percent. During this regen I stopped and parked to see what it would do. It continued while I was parked. To clarify my earlier post the data monster said pass regen, not active. I believe active would be a forced regen where the oem comp would tell you to keep driving.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Well took me a bit since I don't drive the jeep every day. Last regen according to banks data monster was 1460 miles ago. It was at 46 percent. Gauge jumped to 80 percent and then showed pas regen counted down from there to 9 percent. During this regen I stopped and parked to see what it would do. It continued while I was parked. To clarify my earlier post the data monster said pass regen, not active. I believe active would be a forced regen where the oem comp would tell you to keep driving.
Passive regen is when incremental burning of soot occurs with day to day driving when DPF reaches a certain temp.
Active is when periodic burning occurs with fuel injected into the DPF when soot accumulates 80% or certain distance is traveled between active regens whichever comes first. It also includes messages but not necessary that messages come up.
Forced regen is when you have to take it to the dealer and regen is performed manually.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
During this regen I stopped and parked to see what it would do. It continued while I was parked.
Interesting. My experience has been that the process shuts down when parked (and idling) after just a few minutes - without completing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Interesting. My experience has been that the process shuts down when parked (and idling) after just a few minutes - without completing.
Same. I really wish I could just start it at will, or just park in the drive and let it finish.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I should have been more clear. That is what I ment by forced. The ecm is forcing the regen by dumping more fuel. Not an actual forced regen at dealership. I'm not 100 percent sure it is that simple though. You can watch the soot load go up and down during drives and the data monster dosent say anything. It will show pass when an actual regen is happening. It can also say activ according to banks. I have not seen this yet.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I should have been more clear. That is what I ment by forced. The ecm is forcing the regen by dumping more fuel. Not an actual forced regen at dealership. I'm not 100 percent sure it is that simple though. You can watch the soot load go up and down during drives and the data monster dosent say anything. It will show pass when an actual regen is happening. It can also say activ according to banks. I have not seen this yet.
I think Banks is reporting Active as PAS (just my opinion).
Scangauge just reports active regens as a number and reports whether the active regen is "off" or "on" and we know it is active because we have been witnessing those as active regens when they happen. In other words, the number of regens in the TNR XGauge match the number of times we saw it turn "on".
I have been monitoring with Scangauge since day one on my new Ecodiesel and I have seen two "on" positions and it matches the historical number it shows. I have 2040 miles and I saw first at around 700 miles, and the second around 1400 miles. I can predict I will have the third one today or tomorrow when I am around 2100 miles. Soot level observed last night when I pulled into my garage was at 57%.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Here is how I define the regens:
  • Passive: your driving patterns create enough heat to burn off the soot naturally.
  • Active: additional fuel is used to create a regen when the DPF reaches 80% full or 700 miles have transpired since your previous regen. I've never experienced the 700 mile regen.
  • Forced: The dealer can trigger a regen at the shop on command (so to speak). Wish that we could do that ourselves.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I’ve never seen anything other than PAS on the banks monitor . Hptuners, alphaobd, JScan all say active

Sponsored

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is how I define the regens:
  • Passive: your driving patterns create enough heat to burn off the soot naturally.
  • Active: additional fuel is used to create a regen when the DPF reaches 80% full or 700 miles have transpired since your previous regen. I've never experienced the 700 mile regen.
  • Forced: The dealer can trigger a regen at the shop on command (so to speak). Wish that we could do that ourselves.
The mileage based one has hit me at 800 even. STM jumped to 80 and it worked it’s way down. Active may or may not trigger a message. I’ve had a few active ones but never a console message.. would not have known if not for the Scan Gauge.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
The mileage based one has hit me at 800 even. STM jumped to 80 and it worked it’s way down. Active may or may not trigger a message. I’ve had a few active ones but never a console message.. would not have known if not for the Scan Gauge.
Console messages come only when active regens are interrupted before soot levels get down to some safe levels using some algorithm I suppose.
And the mileage based one varied for me too between 700 to 800 miles.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I have 2040 miles and I saw first at around 700 miles, and the second around 1400 miles. I can predict I will have the third one today or tomorrow when I am around 2100 miles. Soot level observed last night when I pulled into my garage was at 57%.
As predicted, regen initiated at 2155 miles while I was driving on the Interstate. Soot level at 53%, suddenly jumped to 79% and regen displayed "ON" on Scangauge.
Sponsored