Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Never had one so don't know but my neighbor has a Ram pickup with a diesel and no matter the outside temperature, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, he remote starts it from in his house and lets it run for 15 minutes before he comes out. Do modern small diesels need to run that long, wasting fuel, anymore?
Sponsored

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
Never had one so don't know but my neighbor has a Ram pickup with a diesel and no matter the outside temperature, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, he remote starts it from in his house and lets it run for 15 minutes before he comes out. Do modern small diesels need to run that long, wasting fuel, anymore?
My opinion is no. I have 3 eco diesel pickups and a diesel wrangler. Start and go. Always have. 140 k miles cumulative.

OP
OP
nerubi

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion is no. I have 3 eco diesel pickups and a diesel wrangler. Start and go. Always have. 140 k miles cumulative.
Thanks, I know in the old days you had to warm them up on cold days but I thought we had gotten past that on the newer, smaller ones.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's more important to let them idle for a few minutes before turning the engine off to let the EGR temps come down. Especially if you were driving it hard, towing a heavy load, etc.

On my Audi diesel, when you turned the engine off, the fan would continue to run to cool the engine down. Once it reached an appropriate temp, the fan would then stop. It was a nice feature and I wish FCA diesels would have it.

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
Thanks, I know in the old days you had to warm them up on cold days but I thought we had gotten past that on the newer, smaller ones.
Yea some folks are stuck in their ways. I don’t warm up the Cummins either. Unless I want warm air when I get in

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
he remote starts it from in his house and lets it run for 15 minutes before he comes out.
Depending on how close together your houses are, that might get old quick - especially with a diesel. :)

OP
OP
nerubi

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on how close together your houses are, that might get old quick - especially with a diesel. :)
His is up for sale.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
15 minutes is excessive, but a minute or so to allow oil to reach the furthest bits and the idle to settle is not a bad idea at all.

Idling for a few minutes after giving the turbo a good working is a great habit. If not, a hot oil cooled center bearing will coke the oil resulting in a buildup of carbon. This coking is drastically, if not fully, minimized when running synthetic motor oil. But still a good practice in my opinion. Oil circulation from idling dissipates this hot spot which pays in the long run.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Compared to modern diesels, I have a dinosaur. 2001 7.3 Powerstroke in a F250.
I don't think I ever bothered to warm it up longer than it takes to get myself situated and get going. If its cold out, I will plug it in on a timer, but that's really more fir me ti have warm heat when I jump in.
My truck will sit there at idle and take forever to get to operatingvtemp if it ever will at idle... I’ve never let it sit long enough to do so.

I jump in, start it, get ready to go, take it easy until I'm out of the neighborhood (both to warm it up and to not disturb the neighbors with the noise) and by then, its up to operating Temps and ready to roll.

No egr or any emmissions on this old rig, but I will let the EGTs get to around 300° before shutting it down to be gentile on the turbo.

Had it since new, 230K miles now and no engine issues other than I blew an intercooler boot apart running too much bost on a hot tune.

Never understood folks warming up their diesel pickups forever or letting them idle rather than shutting them down. They aren't in a big rig running the AC for the occupants sleeping inside

20200301_154130.jpg

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
They don’t need significant warm-up idle time but having cold-started mine from both a heated garage entering -10 to -15F temps and from sitting in those temps, I can confirm that the 3.0 struggles to reach normal operating temps at anything below about +10F. I’d strongly consider getting a grille cover if you’re going to see those temps often.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
my company operates in 22 states with around 250 trucks. All but a small handful of the foreman trucks are diesel (the Gassers are all F150 2.7 eco boost) . 50/50 ford/ram and around 90% are heavy duty.

per my fleet manager, cold start procedure for all diesel trucks is
“every morning - start truck and idle for 2 minutes if above 30*F and below 30*
F idle for 4 minutes. Make every attempt to drive leisurely at least the first 5 minutes of driving regardless of temperature. heavily loaded, trucks using PTO or trucks pulling trailers should idle at least 3 minutes prior to shut down”

Fleet manager came over from a very large big rig road service business, so I assume she’s got a good handle on proper care and balancing fuel expenses with service cost

Last edited:

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
30 secs on cold start is enough. Just enough time to wear the seat belt, adjust mirrors, radio/music before you start moving. Drive gently for the first few minutes till oil temps get over 180F.
The manual does insist that there should be some idling (0-2.5 minutes) before engine shutdown depending on how you drove for turbo to cool down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Quick question about diesels Snip20200507_8

OP
OP
nerubi

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
30 secs on cold start is enough. Just enough time to wear the seat belt, adjust mirrors, radio/music before you start moving. Drive gently for the first few minutes till oil temps get over 180F.
The manual does insist that there should be some idling (0-2.5 minutes) depending on how you drove for turbo to cool down.
i thought the guy across the street was just showing off his remote start. If I went and told him he didn't need to run it that long I'm guessing I'd get a strange stare. But a moving truck is in front of his house so guessing I don't need to tell him.

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I remote start mine but it is because I am in Vegas and it's "a hundred and stupid" (TM) outside so I want the AC to cool the interior down.....
Sponsored