Sponsored

Popping your DIY cherry

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
I turned my mirror upside down. So glad I didn't pay the dealer to do it.

But, DIY cherry was many decades ago. Maybe the water pump on a 74 Chevy?

LED headlights with halos may be the most significant DIY I've done so far to the Wrangler. Well worth it.
Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Were the body bolts as bad as the horror stories? My JLUR is on order and the step slides are my wifes only demand. Guessing they should be easier on new bolts, but still a bit worried already about it.

Otherwise, I really didn't wrench much until last year and still haven't done too much. Did a behind the bumper winch on my Rebel, steps, oil and general maintenance. Plan to do as much as I can on the Jeep, hopefully including lift unless I can talk the dealer into a good deal. Suspension work intimidates me a little, but I have a neighbor with a shop who is real cool about helping out, so time to get a little more dirty on this one and dive into some stuff out of my comfort zone.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-and-how-not-to-break-them.43242/#post-956566

This is how I did it. Melt the loctite and shouldn’t have an issue.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I installed a lift as my first Jeep DIY mod.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Were the body bolts as bad as the horror stories? My JLUR is on order and the step slides are my wifes only demand. Guessing they should be easier on new bolts, but still a bit worried already about it.

Otherwise, I really didn't wrench much until last year and still haven't done too much. Did a behind the bumper winch on my Rebel, steps, oil and general maintenance. Plan to do as much as I can on the Jeep, hopefully including lift unless I can talk the dealer into a good deal. Suspension work intimidates me a little, but I have a neighbor with a shop who is real cool about helping out, so time to get a little more dirty on this one and dive into some stuff out of my comfort zone.
The body bolts did not end up being too much of an issue. Once you give them a half turn each direction to get some friction in there, they free up fairly easily. Just repeat the process throughout if needed (half turn in, full turn out) until free enough to get the bracket in there.

Also had to work the threads above the washer with a file on a couple but was just a bit and was then able to 'influence' them on.

Physical install was overall easy though.

Then I plugged it in :(

Got to the part that you plug the fuse back in and it immediately blew. Checked the switch and it was fused shut (no longer rocked off and on). I tested the switch prior (physically) and the button was fine, so it took some juice and fused itself shut.

Will give them a call in the morning and go from there. Would really love to try another fuse and switch but I'll just wait to talk to them first.

upload_2020-1-26_10-9-1.png

upload_2020-1-26_10-9-9.png

upload_2020-1-26_10-9-17.png

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I do my own oil changes, installed the smittybuilt frame connected steps/sliders where i had to remove and reinstall skidplates and torque everything to specs, alien sunshade install, and suspension swap is on the list!!!, oh also removing the euroguards is on the list for sometime next weekend.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
The body bolts did not end up being too much of an issue. Once you give them a half turn each direction to get some friction in there, they free up fairly easily. Just repeat the process throughout if needed (half turn in, full turn out) until free enough to get the bracket in there.

Also had to work the threads above the washer with a file on a couple but was just a bit and was then able to 'influence' them on.

Physical install was overall easy though.

Then I plugged it in :(

Got to the part that you plug the fuse back in and it immediately blew. Checked the switch and it was fused shut (no longer rocked off and on). I tested the switch prior (physically) and the button was fine, so it took some juice and fused itself shut.

Will give them a call in the morning and go from there. Would really love to try another fuse and switch but I'll just wait to talk to them first.

upload_2020-1-26_10-9-1.png

upload_2020-1-26_10-9-9.png

upload_2020-1-26_10-9-17.png
Yep, was just the switch. Found another and replaced it and the fuse. Presto working. Done.

Real happy with the steps. The are a little on the thin side for my wife but she says she will get use to them. Agreed!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I installed my own Mastercraft grips, but truth be told, the Velcro fasteners confounded me, and I almost brought it to the dealer to finish up. :)

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Dealer wanted $330 to change the differential fluid for the 20K maintenance. Got the fluid specs from the parts department over the phone and $65 of Mobile One 75W90 and 75W140 and less than an hour to accomplish. Videos on line made it easy.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It was 1968. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 12 years old. My brother, 13, and I "changed the oil" in my fathers 62 Buick Skylark. Well, we "flushed" the oil pan too. 5 quarts of fresh Havoline 10-30wt puddled on the driveway. LOL. We forgot the plug.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
careful you don't set off the air bags :)
Hahahahaha! It wasn’t a problem, as the Jeep was not running ;) I’ve since replaced the bumper too.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Growing list of DIY mods:

Mishimoto Oil catch can
Mopar lights and grill guard
CB radio and GMRS install
Speaker upgrade
Seat angle upgrade
Trail gator install
LOD destroyer sliders

I’ve got a box full with Synergy’s 2” stage 1 lift parts, and I’m watching videos thinking “I can do this!”.

I paid a shop to install my winch plate and winch after reading what a pain it was. Sometimes it is nice to write the check and not worry.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Growing list of DIY mods:

Mishimoto Oil catch can
Mopar lights and grill guard
CB radio and GMRS install
Speaker upgrade
Seat angle upgrade
Trail gator install
LOD destroyer sliders

I’ve got a box full with Synergy’s 2” stage 1 lift parts, and I’m watching videos thinking “I can do this!”.

I paid a shop to install my winch plate and winch after reading what a pain it was. Sometimes it is nice to write the check and not worry.
I also paid a shop to install my winch. I was having a hard time by myself in my first attempt to mount it, since I'm getting old and arthritic.

What's a "seat angle upgrade"?

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
What's a "seat angle upgrade"?
You unbolt the front seat bracket bolts, then take a pair of 1/2” nuts and place one each under each side of the seat rack (where it bolts to the floor), then using slightly longer new bolts, tighten the seat bracket down. You wouldn’t think adding a 1/2” of lift to the front seats would make a difference in comfort but it did for me, as the stock bottom seat angle is just too flat.
Sponsored