Sponsored

OEM Battery Replacement

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Wish I had a dollar for every guy that over the last 3 yrs. has posted on the JL forum the.... "I carry a portable charger" and........ Yup, if I had a dollar for each time... 8-)

Anyway, more often then not, the JL owner with such a "portable charger, even a top notch one, falls flat on his or her face when the time comes when they think , their portable charger will bail them out of a no start situation in regard to their stock dual battery system...

Not to belabor the point.... just want to encourage you to do your homework, lets say...... or that "portable jumper" will not be enough ... well, it might... maybe, be enough, if you use it in exactly the right way and only in certain no start scenarios.

Your actually far far better off with a decent set of jumper cables.... and of course a 12v donor vehicle.
Do you mind expanding on this? I haven't definitively tried for myself, my JL battery has never died. It doesn't make sense to me though that a portable wouldn't jumpstart after the first cold crank or if the main battery is isolated. Sure, a donor vehicle with jumpers is "better" but it's not nearly as practical or convenient as a portable. Especially at 3AM and you need to go to work.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do you mind expanding on this? I haven't definitively tried for myself, my JL battery has never died. It doesn't make sense to me though that a portable wouldn't jumpstart after the first cold crank or if the main battery is isolated. Sure, a donor vehicle with jumpers is "better" but it's not nearly as practical or convenient as a portable. Especially at 3AM and you need to go to work.
@Strommen95

Especially, if you know how to separate out the batteries, etc. you will probably do aok with a top notch power pack in regard to jump starting a 2019 and newer JL.

With many 2018 JL's, (not all) if the Aux battery is depleted, even though the Main is partially/fully charged, the JL will not start / will not attempt to start.

With a JL such as this, even a top notch battery pack will more often then not, not be able to jump start the JL.

Same JL though, and battery cables and a donor vehicle hooked up for say 10 min. an then make the start attempt the JL will jump start.

Anyway, yes, I wish I had a dollar for every forum/internet post that mentioned a top notch jump pack could not start a JL.

As for me.... I carry quality battery cables. I would probably first try a power pack to jump start if one was available... but my JL has the batteries separated out and I am running just on the Main.

IF a guy or gal owns an early 2018 JL that has not had TSB 18-092-19 applied (Power Control Update) , that is the owner that needs to really do there homework on this topic/learn how to separate out the 2 batteries ... and to have TSB 18-092-19 applied (Power Control Update) to their JL.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
@Strommen95

Especially, if you know how to separate out the batteries, etc. you will probably do aok with a top notch power pack in regard to jump starting a 2019 and newer JL.

With many 2018 JL's, (not all) if the Aux battery is depleted, even though the Main is partially/fully charged, the JL will not start / will not attempt to start.

With a JL such as this, even a top notch battery pack will more often then not, not be able to jump start the JL.

Same JL though, and battery cables and a donor vehicle hooked up for say 10 min. an then make the start attempt the JL will jump start.

Anyway, yes, I wish I had a dollar for every forum/internet post that mentioned a top notch jump pack could not start a JL.

As for me.... I carry quality battery cables. I would probably first try a power pack to jump start if one was available... but my JL has the batteries separated out and I am running just on the Main.

IF a guy or gal owns an early 2018 JL that has not had TSB 18-092-19 applied (Power Control Update) , that is the owner that needs to really do there homework on this topic/learn how to separate out the 2 batteries ... and to have TSB 18-092-19 applied (Power Control Update) to their JL.

Idk man, I jump started my Jeep for 10 days straight with a real piece of crap jump pack that fits in my pocket.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
@Strommen95

I have a 2018, with the TSB applied. I have disconnected the little battery and run only on the main, and I replaced the 2 year old battery in my 3 year old jeep with the best AGM I could find on the market. I do carry jumper cables but sometimes another vehicle might not be available so I also carry one of the best reviewed jump packs I could find. And if none of that works I have a Garmin Inreach Mini. On my last trip I was 85 miles from the nearest paved road and did not want to have to walk that far, or send SOS through the Garmin.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Noco 10 for the quick weekly top off
669EE251-4BA4-4A53-A6DF-179CC2E41850.jpeg

Odyssey 20 for the monthly recondition, I like the Odyssey for this as it has a deep condition cycle and it holds the voltage at 14.5 for several hours.
0ADAF3D2-20BD-43ED-968E-D324584AE794.jpeg
You know, I wish I’d paid more attention to what you’ve been saying in all these threads. This is the way. Full River, Odyssey, etc. are not the flooded lead acid batteries we group up with. As confident as I’ve been that slow and steady with a tender is the “right way,” I was confidently incorrect.

Enersys, by the way, is a wealth of information and they happily share it. Awesome customer service, and some good YT videos.

I’ve learned the hard way (thanks to covid making me a remote employee that never drives more than 10 minutes at a time) that these quality AGM batteries need a lot of current to obtain a full charge. Enersys (Odyssey/Northstar) says 40% of 20hr Ah rating is best - that’s like 30a for many of their batteries. 10% is minimum, which is like 7a for what we’d put in our Jeeps. My Noco-5 can’t do it.

My Odyssey OBC-20a should be here on Monday. I wish I’d sprung for the Noco-10 back when I bought the Noco-5, too…

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I tested my factory battery today in my new Jeep Wrangler Willy 2020. With the battery tester and our batteries are AGM @ 650 CCA. Anyways the battery measures at and exceeds the label. It tested out at 1000 CCA. We're getting a pretty good battery from the factory.
You might be one of the few

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I have a 2018, with the TSB applied. I have disconnected the little battery and run only on the main, and I replaced the 2 year old battery in my 3 year old jeep with the best AGM I could find on the market. I do carry jumper cables but sometimes another vehicle might not be available so I also carry one of the best reviewed jump packs I could find. And if none of that works I have a Garmin Inreach Mini. On my last trip I was 85 miles from the nearest paved road and did not want to have to walk that far, or send SOS through the Garmin.
I lived in Manhattan so I know what it's like to never be near a paved road.

Nik H

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
This is a very informative thread to say the least.

I have one question though. Most of the discussion is centered around the 3.6L V6 motor. Does all of the information presented in this thread also apply to the 2L I4 turbo with ESS as well. Is there anything unique to this motor?

My 2018 Rubi is mostly driven for short periods of time since I work from home. I bought it new and it only has 34K miles. The ESS just stopped working about a week ago. At first I thought it was due to the extreme cold here in New England because I get that the battery is always charging message and sometimes I also get the "battery saver mode is on" message. The batteries have never been changed since new.

I was going battery shopping this week

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a very informative thread to say the least.

I have one question though. Most of the discussion is centered around the 3.6L V6 motor. Does all of the information presented in this thread also apply to the 2L I4 turbo with ESS as well. Is there anything unique to this motor?

My 2018 Rubi is mostly driven for short periods of time since I work from home. I bought it new and it only has 34K miles. The ESS just stopped working about a week ago. At first I thought it was due to the extreme cold here in New England because I get that the battery is always charging message and sometimes I also get the "battery saver mode is on" message. The batteries have never been changed since new.

I was going battery shopping this week

One thread talks Main battery and the other thread talks Aux battery. In those threads you will find lists of known to fit the JL batteries... both the Main and the Aux battery.

Main battery:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🔋🔧-main-battery-replacement-talk-jl-jt.100534/

Aux battery:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Can anyone confirm that the Odyssey ODP-AGM48 is the correct replacement for the 3.6 eTorque?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Managed to find one AutoZone in the area with the H7 battery you recommended. Went and picked it up tonight to replace my dying factory one. Looking forward to getting it in.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Managed to find one AutoZone in the area with the H7 battery you recommended. Went and picked it up tonight to replace my dying factory one. Looking forward to getting it in.
That's what she said
Sponsored