Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
@DadJokes

LOL, Don't be so sure about that..... do your homework (learn about your 12v) setup, as your JL is not that lets call it "peachy" either...
That was sarcasm. Although I’ve not heard of much complaint since 2019. Shrug We’ll see if that 80k mile emissions warranty is needed. It’ll probably go out at 80,001 miles. lol
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don't think it's realistic to always carry a donor vehicle, haha. It's just one additional tool in my recovery bag, including jumper cables. That said, it's been used dozens of times at this point without failure. But it doesn't mean it'll work the next time.
20+ years of commuting 60,000+ miles per year and wheeling a half dozen different jeeps and I could count the use of jumper cables on 1 hand. On what dilapidated charging system are you using a jump box "dozens" of times?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
20+ years of commuting 60,000+ miles per year and wheeling a half dozen different jeeps and I could count the use of jumper cables on 1 hand. On what dilapidated charging system are you using a jump box "dozens" of times?
We started driving our vehicles a lot less and shorter distances after the pandemic started. Also for whatever reason Jeep kept saying the battery was fine when it wasn't. So most of the usage came from that (over several weeks). Trickle charger did nothing (though kept my Pcar topped off just fine).

Maybe it was 20 times? I don't know. It got a lot of usage though. I was determined for the dealer to replace the battery for free out of principal at that point since it was under warranty. The heat kills batteries out here though. I probably put a new one in every 9-12 months on average for the past 10 years I've been out here.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The heat kills batteries out here though. I probably put a new one in every 9-12 months on average for the past 10 years I've been out here.
Are you talking about AGM batteries in the Wrangler?

My experience in Dallas has been that for a car driven a significant amount every day in our heat, a good flooded battery will last about 36 months. People say an AGM will last up to twice as long. My daughter's Grand Cherokee has the battery under the floorboard, as does my wife's Acadia. My daughter's battery lasted 5 years and my wife's battery longer than that.

With the pandemic and switching to working from home, I would only take short trips from the house 2-4 times a week on the average. I was rotating between my 2 cars so I could keep them both going. Only this past fall did I have problems with my V8 car and I ended up replacing that battery upon which time I discovered that it had gone about 42 months. I did not have a problem with the JLU and its just now 24 month old battery.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Are you talking about AGM batteries in the Wrangler?

My experience in Dallas has been that for a car driven a significant amount every day in our heat, a good flooded battery will last about 36 months. People say an AGM will last up to twice as long. My daughter's Grand Cherokee has the battery under the floorboard, as does my wife's Acadia. My daughter's battery lasted 5 years and my wife's battery longer than that.

With the pandemic and switching to working from home, I would only take short trips from the house 2-4 times a week on the average. I was rotating between my 2 cars so I could keep them both going. Only this past fall did I have problems with my V8 car and I ended up replacing that battery upon which time I discovered that it had gone about 42 months. I did not have a problem with the JLU and its just now 24 month old battery.
Just the OEM ones. So whatever those are. That's been my experience. I've typically had anywhere from 4-6 vehicles at a time and have averaged across those vehicles one battery failing every year, or just before that. And it's been across manufacturers... it has happened to my Porsches, BMWs, Fords, FCA...etc. Never had an issue when I was in the midwest. It only started when I moved here.

Honestly, I'm not sure that's too terrible given number of vehicles and how frequently I tend to swap cars (and not necessarily buying new). I've had some individual vehicles last quite a bit without fail (i.e., battery was 3-4 years old at least before failure) and others that have had multiple batteries in a lease period.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
I think the point is that the dual battery setup is an obstacle to some of the jump starters.
Yep, I have a 2016 Duramax and a NOCO jump pack. It was supposed to work on dual battery, diesel vehicles. I had a battery go bad, out of warranty, and the jumppack couldn't get it done. Had to replace both batteries and now I keep that vehicle on a NOCO 10.

Last edited:

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
I would just like to say this thread has been great. I came across a used 2018 JLU Rubicon about a month ago. It was a garage queen, at a guy's vacation home, 7,600 miles in 35 months. I've been checking out the forums and one day I see the ESS say something about battery protection mode or something. I had not paid much attention to the system up to that point, but I remember seeing something about ESS in the forums. I read multiple threads and don't really understand, but it at least got me wondering about the battery protection notification that popped up, but never came back. I started driving with the voltage on the main screen and I see that it really never gets above 12.5 V even on longer trips and one time at a light with the ESS working I see 10.9V. I take it to the dealership, again no error codes, and the engine cranking up every time and they say they will try to work it in that week. I get a call on Thursday, both batteries tested bad and it is going to be $700 to replace them. I reply that I still had a warranty. After a couple of questions, they confirm that I had a warranty when I dropped it off, but they didn't look at it till Thursday and the warranty had lapsed. After a little back and forth the service manager decided to run it under warranty and replaced both batteries.

Again thanks for the threads. It definitely saved me some dough and I will definitely maintain these new batteries and check into disabling ESS.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Are both the main/aux batteries on the 3.6 AGM? I leave my car a week at a time and the ESS goes down. Was gonna try a battery tender when I leave it for a week.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I’ve had interstates last 8 years,I think you got a bad battery.
I also matters where the vehicle is used. Some battery companies used to have different batteries for different regions/ climates. Heat and vibration are the number one killer of batteries. I hear AZ and NV are absolutely brutal for batteries.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Replacing batteries every 3-5 years is good insurance no matter how a battery is performing. Replace BOTH batteries, the main and AUX for ESS equipped Wranglers.

It's also a very good idea to order the TOW Package with ESS equipped Wranglers. The larger capacity battery and higher output alternator is nice insurance.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Replacing batteries every 3-5 years is good insurance no matter how a battery is performing. Replace BOTH batteries, the main and AUX for ESS equipped Wranglers.

It's also a very good idea to order the TOW Package with ESS equipped Wranglers. The larger capacity battery and higher output alternator is nice insurance.
I have the tow. They had mine in the shop for about a month or so trying to figure out the battery drain and replacing stuff. It’s been about 8mo to a year and they be dying again.

I’m not sure if it’s a Jeep glitch or it’s just got enough going on in the background that a 40min round trip 7 out of 14 days isn’t enough to keep it going.
Hoping putting it on the tender on the 7 days it’s down will prevent it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have the tow. They had mine in the shop for about a month or so trying to figure out the battery drain and replacing stuff. It’s been about 8mo to a year and they be dying again.

I’m not sure if it’s a Jeep glitch or it’s just got enough going on in the background that a 40min round trip 7 out of 14 days isn’t enough to keep it going.
Sounds like you have a problem.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Sounds like you have a problem.
Probably. I just really don’t wanna lose my Jeep for another month. It was all handled by FCA and the dealer was just doing whatever the engineers aid to do.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Take it in and let the dealer check it out.
Sponsored