Sponsored

πŸ”‹πŸ”§ MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK - JL/JT πŸͺ«

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« 7890

Main battery replacement on a stock JL/JT....

A JL or JT with tow package leaves the factory with an H7-AGM Group Size 94R Main battery.

A JL or JT without the tow package leaves the factory with a Group 48 H6 Main battery, which is a tad shorter in length then the H7-AGM Group Size 94R.

With that said, if you go to install an H7-AGM Group Size 94R battery in a JL or JT that left the factory with a Group 48 H6 battery you will, in order to install the H7, have to remove a small plastic stay/cleat you will find in the bottom of the Main's battery holder box. The stay/cleat comes out very easily.

For those replacing your JL or JT's Main battery... you are best served going with a higher CCA H7 versus installing a lesser CCA H6. Should also mention that often you will find the H7 costs the same as an H6.

Note: When buying an H7 is is prudent to first remove your current Main battery and measure the length of the box with the plastic stay removed. Compare that length measurement to the physical length of the H7 battery you are thinking about buying..

DO, bring the Main battery you are replacing with you to the auto parts store, as they will take it and then you will not be charged a "core charge". (Approx. $10)

Here is a list of some H7's that are known to fit the JL/JT Main battery box with the stay/cleat removed:

(List Updated on 3/24/24
  • Interstate MTX-94R/H7 80 Ah AGM 850 CCA
  • Odyssey Performance AGM94R H7 L4 850 CCA
  • Super Start Platinum H7 SSB94RPLT 800 CCA
  • Napa P/N 9894R H7 800 CCA
  • Batteries+ X2 Power H7 Group 94R SLI94RAGMDP 840 CCA
  • EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 94 H7 800 CCA (Walmart)
  • Optima YELLOWTOP AGM YEL94R DH7 Group 94 880 CCA
  • DieHard Platinum AGM Lead Acid Battery, Group H7 850 CCA
  • Motomaster Eliminator AGM Group Size 94R (H7/L4) 800 CCA
  • Duracell AGM 94R H7 800 CCA (Sam's Club)
  • Weize Platinum AGM Battery BCI Group 94R - H7 850 CCA
  • 94RAGM ACDelco AGM Group Size 94R H7 850 CCA
  • FullRiver FT850-94R 850CCA

-> If you installed an H7 AGM battery and it properly fit the Main battery box on a JL/JT and it is not on the list above..... Please post below and let everyone know. I will update the list to include the one you mention.

FYI: IBS Sensor= Mopar 68289207AC (Readily avail from eBAY sellers)
- - - -
For Aux battery change the easy way and more battery related info read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Main Battery:

IF.... if, you do not release this black plastic retaining clip it will break... (see pic)

When you go to replace the Main battery or if for some reason you will be disconnecting the Pos side of the Main battery, do know there is a black plastic retaining clip that needs to be released with a small plastic tab just as you go to pry up the Pos cable connection...

IF you break the black plastic retaining clip, do know that it is not critical to have so don't bother trying to find/buy another... Of course, would be nice if you did not break that retaining clip.

See pic which displays the black plastic clip and the tab (just below the thumb in the pic) you need to push on it before you pry up the pos cable connection...

Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« pos-retainer cli

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be very careful!

Do, as soon as you pull that bundle off the positive side of the Main battery, to wrap it in a shop rag or such, so there would be little chance that bundle could ground out on anything metal near by.

IF you ground out that bundle you will blow fuse N3 in the Mopar Z Case Fuse Array .
. Read here about the 2 different / different part number, high amp fuse arrays...

IF you have tow package on your JL/JT you will use a different Mopar Z Case Fuse Array then a JL/JT that does not have tow package.

For Mopar Z Case Fuse Array, info look here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/alert-high-amp-fuse-array-related.65085/

Also..... BE CAREFUL ... Do not overtighten any nuts you find on the Main battery terminal connections... Especially prone to stripping, is the nut that you loosen on the Negative side of the Main battery to remove the bundle there.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do know:

The JL/JT factory fabric battery cover that insulate's the Main battery will not fit over some aftermarket H7 batteries. Depends on the physical dimensions of the aftermarket H7.

-
If you want to use Wing Nuts on the Main battery connectors, here are 2 sizes you will need..

Hint: If when turning a wingnut it hits the wing of the wingnut in close proximity to it, file down the wings on one of the win nuts so it allows the wingnut to clear the other.

Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« wing nuts

You can make easily up quick disconnects. Take a coupler of the appropriate size and drill hole in it's end and then place an aluminum nail in the hole..
Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« 20201111_122151
Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« ee

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those wanting to do a total 12v power disconnect in regard to their JL/JT..

Jeep Wrangler JL πŸ”‹πŸ”§  MAIN BATTERY REPLACEMENT TALK  - JL/JT πŸͺ« Jeep power disconnect

Sponsored

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
I thought I read the other day that if you replace the Group 48 with the larger Group 94R battery then the battery cover/mat no longer fits. Not sure if it is worth an edit in your first email to add this info.

Not sure if the solution is to just eliminate the cover or do some cutting to make it fit?

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I read the other day that if you replace the Group 48 with the larger Group 94R battery then the battery cover/mat no longer fits. Not sure if it is worth an edit in your first email to add this info.

Not sure if the solution is to just eliminate the cover or do some cutting to make it fit?
Post #4 I made in this thead, clearly states:
" The JL/JT factory fabric battery cover that insulate's the Main battery will not always fit over an aftermarket H7 battery. "

Last edited:

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Post #4 I made in this thead, clearly states:
" The JL/JT factory fabric battery cover that insulate's the Main battery will not fit over an aftermarket H7 battery. "
Mine fit on my Duralast H7, but my 2018 JL came with the tow package. There may be slight variations in measurements among the various brands or perhaps it is the ones that came with an H6 OEM that the cover won't fit on the aftermarket H7 battery.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine fit on my Duralast H7, but my 2018 JL came with the tow package. There may be slight variations in measurements among the various brands or perhaps it is the ones that came with an H6 OEM that the cover won't fit on the aftermarket H7 battery.
@NULL POINTER

It's kind of a crap shoot of sorts if the factory, fabric battery cover will fit.
I opted to just say it won't fit on an H7, as it seems more often then not it won't fit..

As for the fabric battery cover.... fit or not I do not want it... Rodent bait and I'll pass on it..

Sponsored

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

Out of the H7 batteries listed in first post - what would you recommend? I've heard most have moved to offshore mfg, so not a lot of difference. I'm on year 3 of factory batteries and living on borrowed time. As winter approaches, I'm looking to replace now.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of the H7 batteries listed in first post - what would you recommend? I've heard most have moved to offshore mfg, so not a lot of difference. I'm on year 3 of factory batteries and living on borrowed time. As winter approaches, I'm looking to replace now.
@Willing&Able

If I were buying today and could get ... it would be the Odyssey Performance AGM94R H7 L4

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
This post is excellent. When I’ve visited sites like auto zone to look at these batteries and type in my vehicle I’m not sure which 3.6 L engine to choose. I’ve got etorque. they don’t have etorque language in the description. Also Some results say β€œnot for start stop” but all 3.6 L engines have start stop. E torque or the original main battery +small battery. So I’m not sure what config to pick. Or it doesn’t matter?

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This post is excellent. When I’ve visited sites like auto zone to look at these batteries and type in my vehicle I’m not sure which 3.6 L engine to choose. I’ve got etorque. they don’t have etorque language in the description. Also Some results say β€œnot for start stop” but all 3.6 L engines have start stop. E torque or the original main battery +small battery. So I’m not sure what config to pick. Or it doesn’t matter?
@Jeepmarkjl

For the Main battery, it does not matter .... Just buy an H7 that is known to fit.... all on the list earlier in this thread will fit.
Sponsored