No more 392?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
All of the same people who have been asking for a V8 for decades will still care. Not everyone wants turbos.

That said, I imagine the Hurricane option will be much cheaper and the demand for that will be quite high.
Motortrend “ the new Hi-Po Hurricane engine option will be a $2000 premium over the standard 6.4 liter V8 Hemi on regular wheelbase Grand Wagoneer”. So much for much cheaper!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Motortrend “ the new Hi-Po Hurricane engine option will be a $2000 premium over the standard 6.4 liter V8 Hemi on regular wheelbase Grand Wagoneer”. So much for much cheaper!
The Grand Wagoneer isn't the Wrangler, and the 6.4 isn't the standard here. If the Hurricane is replacing the 3.6 as many people seem to take as gospel, then it will likely be a much cheaper option.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The Grand Wagoneer isn't the Wrangler, and the 6.4 isn't the standard here. If the Hurricane is replacing the 3.6 as many people seem to take as gospel, then it will likely be a much cheaper option.
Were on the same page. My wild guess is the SO will replace the 3.6 in time (although not high on the priority list) and will be a reasonably priced option for the power gain. That said- this $2K over the 392 for the HO indicates they are Real Proud of it and pricing accordingly. If the HO comes to Wranglers I don’t expect a lower price 392 replacement. 2c

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
When the 4xe came out a few YouTubers tested them to see how far they could go on a charge when doing Jeep trails. If I remember correctly it was three miles vs ~21 on the road.

If that's typical then it implies that you'd need ~7x range over what's expected for driving on typical roads. EVs are also significantly more sensitive to weight, so it gets much worse when you add skid plates, steel bumpers, rock sliders, 37s, etc. Then you want to go overlanding? Good luck.

EVs are somewhat inevitable (especially with the fossil fuel industry's behavior), but there will need to be significant advancements before they become commonplace on our trails. Or, alternatively, the fossil fuel industry keeps squeezing us by the balls until driving an EV becomes dirt cheap in comparison.
The 4xe is a terrible example, the hybrid drivetrain negates some of the benefits of a pure EV. IIRC trail recon got 13+ miles out wheeling his 4XE, which is more like 60%+ of the on road range. I’ve watched a lot of videos of the rivians out wheeling, and although their air ride and independent suspensions limit articulation massively they are impressive and still get well over 150 miles off road which is far more than most off roaders do in a weekend. For pure overlanding where you’re trying to cross 3-500 miles of open country in a week long camping trip, you’re going to have to head in to town once or twice for fuel anyway, there’s not a lot of difference if you have to hit a charging station a couple times. I think 500 mile ranges aren’t far off, which will be more than enough for 99% of people regardless of their own personal fears of running out of juice. The anti-EV crowd has this ridiculous view of gas availability and electricity availability that just isn’t real. We just completed a cross country road trip in our lifted JLUR on 38’s. Nearly every place we stopped for fuel had EV chargers now from CA to AL and back. Our gas motors are every bit as effected by weight, wind, speed, load, etc as EV’s. Drafting a semi at 70 we could maintain 19mpg and had a range of ~400 miles. Tired and pushing to get to our hotel for the night pushing across New Mexico, in to a head wind at altitude, up hill, with the cruise control set at 85 we got a whopping 10.4mpg and had a range of 200 miles. Of course out there the fuel stations are sparse so we were stopping for gas every ~150ish miles to be safe. Still think you need 800 miles of range in an EV to compete with gas? I’ll take a reliable 350 and be grinning from ear to ear while I don’t pay $8.50/gal because I happened to need fuel at the only station for 100 miles in the desert.

Last edited:

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
4xe is all you can buy soon, the 392 is discontinued along with all the other gas motors . Manual transmission diesels and automatic electric. That’s all that’s available going forward. I got it from a reliable source. Lol 😂

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Were on the same page. My wild guess is the SO will replace the 3.6 in time (although not high on the priority list) and will be a reasonably priced option for the power gain. That said- this $2K over the 392 for the HO indicates they are Real Proud of it and pricing accordingly. If the HO comes to Wranglers I don’t expect a lower price 392 replacement. 2c
As we’ve beaten to death on this forum already, the 2.0t isn’t going anywhere as that is the engine the chose to incorporate in the 4xe. The 3.6L will be gone as will the 392 in my opinion. The options by 2025 will likely be 2.0t base engine, 3.0t SO, 3.0t HO premium, PHEV, and full EV. With the feds on going war on diesels, I expect it to be dropped as well. The options will likely be small displacement turbo motors or EV’s only.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Here’s a bunch of predictions . Lol
stumblinhorse said:
Actually since the 392XR cannot be ordered and likely will never be offered again in its current form, you can say whatever you like since it won’t really impact anyone trying to decide what to buy…. So have at. I will start.

392XRs will get 25MPG on unicorn blood. I read that on a forum. Jeep has repeatedly said that it doesn’t and that the 392 and 392XR will get the same MPG on unicorn blood. But it gets 25MPG!
King Mopar said:
I have confirmed the XR is not coming back to the 392. I have a 22' 392 XR set up with 37's, 70lb. winch and bull bar and haven't had any issues with bump stops.

I don't have any current explanation on why the removed the XR option from the 392 but I would guess it has more to do with the build process at the factory for the 392. Once mine was built it sat for almost a month in the aftermarket department. My guess is that was mostly due to the XR option.

Who knows though - honestly don't know that we will ever hear the truth. After a few thousand miles I haven't had a single issue with mine yet.
Andras said:
how did you confirm that it's not coming back? that's interesting...
King Mopar said:
By talking with friends who work at the factory in Toledo.”

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
When the 4xe came out a few YouTubers tested them to see how far they could go on a charge when doing Jeep trails. If I remember correctly it was three miles vs ~21 on the road.

If that's typical then it implies that you'd need ~7x range over what's expected for driving on typical roads. EVs are also significantly more sensitive to weight, so it gets much worse when you add skid plates, steel bumpers, rock sliders, 37s, etc. Then you want to go overlanding? Good luck.

EVs are somewhat inevitable (especially with the fossil fuel industry's behavior), but there will need to be significant advancements before they become commonplace on our trails. Or, alternatively, the fossil fuel industry keeps squeezing us by the balls until driving an EV becomes dirt cheap in comparison.
That’s the TFL video your referencing. It wasn’t full. But regardless, it was 3 miles up hill in low. Anyone who’s been off road knows that there is a huge impact to fuel mileage regardless of source for that kind of run. Trail Recon’s test is a more reasonable mixed trail example.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The 4xe is a terrible example, the hybrid drivetrain negates some of the benefits of a pure EV. IIRC trail recon got 13+ miles out wheeling his 4XE, which is more like 60%+ of the on road range. I’ve watched a lot of videos of the rivians out wheeling, and although their air ride and independent suspensions limit articulation massively they are impressive and still get well over 150 miles off road which is far more than most off roaders do in a weekend. For pure overlanding where you’re trying to cross 3-500 miles of open country in a week long camping trip, you’re going to have to head in to town once or twice for fuel anyway, there’s not a lot of difference if you have to hit a charging station a couple times. I think 500 mile ranges aren’t far off, which will be more than enough for 99% of people regardless of their own personal fears of running out of juice. The anti-EV crowd has this ridiculous view of gas availability and electricity availability that just isn’t real. We just completed a cross country road trip in our lifted JLUR on 38’s. Nearly every place we stopped for fuel had EV chargers now from CA to AL and back. Our gas motors are every bit as effected by weight, wind, speed, load, etc as EV’s. Drafting a semi at 70 we could maintain 19mpg and had a range of ~400 miles. Tired and pushing to get to our hotel for the night pushing across New Mexico, in to a head wind at altitude, up hill, with the cruise control set at 85 we got a whopping 10.4mpg and had a range of 200 miles. Of course out there the fuel stations are sparse so we were stopping for gas every ~150ish miles to be safe. Still think you need 800 miles of range in an EV to compete with gas? I’ll take a reliable 350 and be grinning from ear to ear while I don’t pay $8.50/gal because I happened to need fuel at the only station for 100 miles in the desert.
From what I can tell TrailRecon got 10.7 miles, not 13+.

3.4 miles for TFL:

That's an incredibly dramatic difference. Did TrailRecon even engage 4wd? I don't remember him mentioning it.

Maybe it's simply the difference between going off road and doing something that requires a vehicle like a Jeep. Massive difference in battery utilization.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
392 XR is back on the menu. Just ordered one. MSRP is about $2900 more than '22.
I see MSRP went up about 2900 and they raised the invoice about $4800. So anyone buying from discount dealer for under invoice will see big uplift over 22s.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
If you can afford a 392 to start with, a few grand more probably won't bother you too much
Perhaps only have the maid come in on weekdays for a while ?
Perhaps buy domestic caviar for the cat instead of the Russian stuff ?
Perhaps rent out the Lear jet when your not expecting to be using it ?
-
Just messin with you guys, I'm glad your Hemi's back on the build block although I'll probably choose not to get one once again, all in good fun 🙃

OP
OP
Stuckinthesand

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I am just here to feed some crow. Looks like the "predictions were all true"

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I am just here to feed some crow. Looks like the "predictions were all true"
Lol , all BS about the V8 being gone. You’ll never get a 23 wrangler with a 392. Blah blah blah all BS. What we know for a fact is now we can order 2023 392s with the XR package. We now know that 2023 is bringing back the Hellcat Durango.
We know V8 Challenger production is extended till December 2023. Hellcat TRX production has also been extended to 2024. Lots of V-8’s to go around. We’ll see what happens next when Jeep/Dodge actually tells us. Until then it’s all rumor and BS.
Sponsored

Last edited: