No more physical service USBs

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
Thank you OP for this thread. I have been wondering how to get the service manual. For my 4Runner I was lucky enough that someone posted a link so I got that as a huge pdf and having the exploded views with torque values and everything is invaluable. I think Alldata is in my future but I still hate having to pay a subscription.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
There are plugins that can also prevent screenshotting. Question is if they've implemented them.
They only work with the OS to prevent well behaved apps from taking a screen shot. Download another screen shot tool.

It's almost as fast to just take a pic with your phone when you've configured DropBox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive to auto backup from your phone to the cloud.

Sponsored

MrGoodByte

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURXR, '11 Challenger SE
Build Thread
Link
I lost my physical MoparAuthority USB and went looking for other options.. I found this one:

https://www.alldata.com/diy-us/en

Let me tell you this Alldata website is a MILLION TIMES better
than the crappy USB Mopar option...

You can pay $20 for a month... or $130 for 3 years
You can print pages of interest...
It won't destroy you computer profile browser favorites
and access to Internet like that EXTREMELY INTRUSIVE AND ABUSIVE USB Mopar USB Dongle...

As a bonus the manual includes TSBs for components affected
by a recall or TSB and get constantly updated.

You can also access your alldata manuals from your table or smartphone... beautiful...

I am very satisfied with www.alldata.com
They are very limited on ‘22 vehicles. No Jeeps available at all.

OP
OP
Remorseless

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I was wondering about this myself. I guess I would try to pdf the files if possible as I keep a laptop available when working on the Jeep.
This is my plan - I've got a Surface I keep in a ruggedized case for working out in my shop. It's a lot easier to poke around on that for instructions or watching a video for tips/tricks than it is on your phone.

Jeep Wrangler JL No more physical service USBs Screenshot (118)

Where there is a will, there is a way…
If she'd just press a little the scan would be better :P

I can confirm the TechAuthority subscription allows you to print directly to PDF. I got the 3-day subscription a month or so ago to deal with some slight aftermath from my profile pic incident.
Excellent! Do you recall if it would let you print the entirety of the document to PDF at once or if it was just the section you were viewing at the moment?

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Would be a lot less work if the whole document can be saved as a pdf

Jerkwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Excellent! Do you recall if it would let you print the entirety of the document to PDF at once or if it was just the section you were viewing at the moment?
Unfortunately it is just the section/document you are viewing at the moment. I tried to see if it was possible to do the whole "book" at once but that didn't seem to be possible.

The information for each category e.g. front suspension, engine, cooling, etc., is organized in separate documents e.g. description and operation; removal and installation, diagnosis and testing, special tools, technical specifications, torque specifications, wiring diagrams. It seemed to be well-organized and comprehensive, with pictures and photos. Though sometimes it took a bit of looking to find a specific bit of info which wasn't where you might expect it to be.

Sponsored

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Unfortunately it is just the section/document you are viewing at the moment. I tried to see if it was possible to do the whole "book" at once but that didn't seem to be possible.

The information for each category e.g. front suspension, engine, cooling, etc., is organized in separate documents e.g. description and operation; removal and installation, diagnosis and testing, special tools, technical specifications, torque specifications, wiring diagrams. It seemed to be well-organized and comprehensive, with pictures and photos. Though sometimes it took a bit of looking to find a specific bit of info which wasn't where you might expect it to be.
What kind of time do you think it would take to save/download the entire book section by section?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
As an aside, I contacted Jeep just last week about obtaining a service manual and the person didn't know what that was. She kept referring to the owner's manual, which I had to explain the differences. She just said that's not something they have access to, nor was it something she'd ever heard of. I kind of get that, but she couldn't point me to where to get one or when it would be available. To think it's only available via subscription would irritate me to no end. I get that a dealership can pay for that, and that makes sense to provide it to "technicians" that way, but for the last 25+ years I've bought the OE service manual for my vehicles. No bueno.
Well, a service dept employee having no knowledge of what a service manual is at least may explain the level of “service” we see at some dealerships😳

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Sooner or later someone with a usb will release one for the forum members. Maybe. Back when I had my 04 ram I found a download on line, I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be there but I must have burned 10 copies of that. Be patient and keep googleing. $1800 bucks is their answer to right to repair.

Jerkwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
What kind of time do you think it would take to save/download the entire book section by section?
It would probably take between 4 and 8 hours, depending on how systematic you wanted to be with the filenames of the pdfs you created. Unfortunately, by default the pdfs would all have the same generic name (which I don't recall).

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
They only work with the OS to prevent well behaved apps from taking a screen shot. Download another screen shot tool.

It's almost as fast to just take a pic with your phone when you've configured DropBox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive to auto backup from your phone to the cloud.
You could use a virtual machine to run Windows and the software. And then take screenshots from hypervisor.
I was wondering about this myself. I guess I would try to pdf the files if possible as I keep a laptop available when working on the Jeep.
I would put those PDFs on an $30 e-ink Kindle or other e-reader. Much smaller/ lighter/ cheaper if you break.
Sponsored