Need Winch Advice

Ppita02

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
If you buy a winch plate, you could mount the winch. Then you may have to do some small amount of cutting to get the plastic bumper back in place.

It can be done. :fist bump:
Ok, I will look into this. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored

Ppita02

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Rock Hard 4x4 makes a winch mount for a jk plastic bumper. Might check with them to see if they have one for the jl yet..
Gotcha thank you!

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
I have the MOPAR winch guard and am planning on buying a warn xeon 10s. Does it matter which mounting plate you buy for clearance? Looking at the Maximus vs Warn.

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Getting ready to buy a winch for my JLU Rubicon on the stock steel bumper. Looking at the Smittybilt synthetic but not sure if I should go with the 9500-10000 or 12000 lbs? Just want one for the just in case situations; and mostly for winter situations and some light off road.

Also will any winch plate work with the stock bumpers?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike
You spent a ton of money on your Rubicon don’t cheap out on the winch that could save your rig get the spend a little more and buy the Warn and and the warm winch plate like I just did, yeah it’s painful after shelling out for a lift and 35s and wheels but it’s so worth it when you look back 5-10 years from now

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
You spent a ton of money on your Rubicon don’t cheap out on the winch that could save your rig get the spend a little more and buy the Warn and and the warm winch plate like I just did, yeah it’s painful after shelling out for a lift and 35s and wheels but it’s so worth it when you look back 5-10 years from now
:CWL: Sound logic coming from a person who shelled out for a lift and 35s.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Help - I was going to post a new thread but this seems the right place . . . I am going to buy the new Superwinch EXP with synthetic line. I have a forum coupon from Extreme OR (forum sponsor) that helps a little. Isn't the 8,000 lb. winch plenty? Do I really need the 10k winch? The price is $1k versus $1.2k?

In the end, it is already pricey so the $200 delta isn't a huge issue. BUT, it seems that for almost all situations, 8k of pulling power is plenty and I don't want to waste more money. If I need to increase that, I can just add a recovery shackle in the mix. Thank you for your responses.
I don't know if there is a "right" answer to your question, everyone has a different philosophy of use. I use to run a 18K superwinch on my Ford 250 and it was overkill for sure; price and weight. It always pulled me out of the mud hole i was stuck in, but it did no favors to my front end over 200,000 miles though. On my jeeps i have run the many winches in the 8-9500 range and they've always been fine. I bought a Warn M8000 about 10 years ago and I've put it on 3 vehicles. It always pulls me out, doesn't weigh a million pounds and always works.

But if you're running in some serious back country where you can get REALLY stuck, a stronger winch may be prudent. And don't overlook brand, it matters. I see a LOT of very old Warn winches, not so much for other brands. I've been a forester for 22 years and winches are something I've always needed on a pretty regular basis. The best thing about Warn is i never thought about my winch, just hooked up the cable and it worked, time after time.

Good luck with your decision.

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR WHITE, 2016 KL WHITE LTD, 2014 YAMAHA SX190
I went with the warn mounting plate and xeon platinum 10s. The only minor issues were playing with some of bolts here and there which took some patience, extensions and universal joints.

IMG_20180611_155624.jpg
Looks like Mickey Mouse on your bumper. :)
Sponsored