Sponsored

Need Winch Advice

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
Help - I was going to post a new thread but this seems the right place . . . I am going to buy the new Superwinch EXP with synthetic line. I have a forum coupon from Extreme OR (forum sponsor) that helps a little. Isn't the 8,000 lb. winch plenty? Do I really need the 10k winch? The price is $1k versus $1.2k?

In the end, it is already pricey so the $200 delta isn't a huge issue. BUT, it seems that for almost all situations, 8k of pulling power is plenty and I don't want to waste more money. If I need to increase that, I can just add a recovery shackle in the mix. Thank you for your responses.
Go with the 8k and spend the savings on a snatch block. Upside will be versatility in recoveries with opportunity for a stronger pull, the downside will be halving the available line length to get to that 16k pull strength.

Sponsored

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Go with the 8k and spend the savings on a snatch block. Upside will be versatility in recoveries with opportunity for a stronger pull, the downside will be halving the available line length to get to that 16k pull strength.

Thank you!!!!! The "snatch block" - best name ever.

Last edited:

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Rusty's plate and a x20 10k from smittybilt
x2 - had no problems with Rusty's plate. Had more trouble mounting the control box on the X2O but that's another story - just loosen the crossbars it attaches to and I think it would be easier.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
x2 - had no problems with Rusty's plate. Had more trouble mounting the control box on the X2O but that's another story - just loosen the crossbars it attaches to and I think it would be easier.
Not sure who posted about their issues with the box but I did read about it here somewhere and how loosening the bars was huge. Thanks

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I'm struggling with the Warn zeon 10s and the 20x from Smittybuilt. The price difference is double.. I will not be doing heavy off road but light to medium stuff and just want it as a back up for peace of mind. Not sure I will use it much...do you all think Warn really worth it over Smittybuilt for my current needs?

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'd say go for the Smittybilt X20. Sounds like you know that's your pick.

I had no issues with mine and plenty before me recommend it after years of more abuse than I would have ever put mine through.

I chose Warn this time around because of the line coverage, casing, and look on the stock bumper. Worth double the price? That's a personal choice.

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
I'd say go for the Smittybilt X20. Sounds like you know that's your pick.

I had no issues with mine and plenty before me recommend it after years of more abuse than I would have ever put mine through.

I chose Warn this time around because of the line coverage, casing, and look on the stock bumper. Worth double the price? That's a personal choice.
This sounds ridiculous because I am buying the Superwinch, but I would buy Smitty because 1) price/value, 2) features, 3) reviews are good. PLUS, if you email the Extreme Terrain sponsor, they will email you a coupon for one time use. With that discount and the Smitty $50 rebate right now, you can buy the X20 for $500!!!!!

Uh oh, I think I am talking myself into it! This debate rages in my head. I just like buying American Made whenever possible and the SW looks cool. Yes, I am shamefully vain at times but blue lights dazzle me . . . . . . .

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Out of the many (a few hundred) we have sold, we have heard of very few issues. Rarely more than one or two holes. We have yet to hear of every hole not fitting. Could be an error on our part (laser cutter became sentient?) or it could be a weird variance on a specific Jeep? Not sure.

Sorry to hear about the issues you had! Did you happen to reach out to our tech support department? We would love to know what was wrong.
It was on the weekend so didn't bother. Something was definitely off. Each hole was about 3/8" off to the driver side. The only hole that lined up with factory parts was the lower passenger side frame hole. All others were shifted over about 3/8". I kept thinking I was doing something wrong or it was my jeep until I measured the placement of the holes and then realized that they were all shifted by the same amount. By the time I realized what it was, it would have been more trouble to put everything back on and wait for an exchange so I just made it work. It was extremely frustrating though and my local shop (Collin County Offroad) swears by you guys, but it makes me extremely hesitant to try your other stuff...

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
It was on the weekend so didn't bother. Something was definitely off. Each hole was about 3/8" off to the driver side. The only hole that lined up with factory parts was the lower passenger side frame hole. All others were shifted over about 3/8". I kept thinking I was doing something wrong or it was my jeep until I measured the placement of the holes and then realized that they were all shifted by the same amount. By the time I realized what it was, it would have been more trouble to put everything back on and wait for an exchange so I just made it work. It was extremely frustrating though and my local shop (Collin County Offroad) swears by you guys, but it makes me extremely hesitant to try your other stuff...
We understand your frustration and are sorry that you had issues. It's insanely rare, but the only thing we can think of is if the laser cutter shifted the holes somehow, but usually a problem like that is easy for the tech to see while it's cutting. We sent you a PM as well, hopefully we can figure out some resolution for your time.

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
We understand your frustration and are sorry that you had issues. It's insanely rare, but the only thing we can think of is if the laser cutter shifted the holes somehow, but usually a problem like that is easy for the tech to see while it's cutting. We sent you a PM as well, hopefully we can figure out some resolution for your time.
@JcrOffroad - nice job standing by your product!

Now I might want to buy your plate just for this comment. I'll probably go with the Smittybilt Gen2 X20 10k synthetic - that won't be a problem right? Should I just order it directly from you guys or do you have a forum discount and someone specifically I should reach out to?

Sponsored

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I went with the warn mounting plate and xeon platinum 10s. The only minor issues were playing with some of bolts here and there which took some patience, extensions and universal joints.

IMG_20180611_155624.jpg

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
On all my previous Jeeps I've always went with 8000 lbs versions and this time was no different. I personally do not see the need for anything more on a Jeep.....

I went Warn this time as they have a lifetime limited warranty and 7 years on electrical. Don;t know of anyone else matching that (especially the electrical warranty)

Get a snatch block for the double line tough pulls and 8K is more than enough for most peoples needs.

I went with the Warn VR8-S, already had a winch accessory kit (snatch block, tow line, tree protector and gloves) so I didn't need to purchase anything else. If you get a snatch block pay a little extra and get a quality one. My Warn (20K rated I think) was like $55 from Amazon...

Giggity

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I went with the warn mounting plate and xeon platinum 10s. The only minor issues were playing with some of bolts here and there which took some patience, extensions and universal joints.

IMG_20180611_155624.jpg
I have read that the mopar grill guard doesn't fit with Zeon 10S and the factory steel bumper. How were you able to make it work?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I have read that the mopar grill guard doesn't fit with Zeon 10S and the factory steel bumper. How were you able to make it work?
Get the right grill guard? You will need the one for 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. Part number 82215351.

Mine works just fine and bolted right up in minutes.

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit, 2003 Ram 3500 diesel
I went with the Superwinch exp 10k synthetic. Awesome winch,

C61A47C2-E1DF-4DBC-82D6-FBAFFB779F9A.jpeg
Sponsored