Advice buying a winch from private party

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
So I’m super new to this, my jlu is still in shipping, but I’ve been watching out for deals and stocking up on some mods I plan to do.
I was going to go with a smitty gen 3 x20, when I found a killer deal on a Zeon 10s platinum, supposedly new in the box, listed by a private party. It’s at a price I should probably be skeptical about it, but if I would definitely regret this if I don’t at least consider it. There are a couple pictures of the box, but just out of the box showing everything is still packed in cardboard and plastic.
If I go to check it out, what I can check to verify everything is in working order?
Am I crazy to be considering this? It’s less than I was going to pay for the x20 10k synthetic.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

and how did you find this killer deal? how much? why are they selling? any chance you can get it authenticated?

You know what they about deals too good to be true.

OP
OP
mike_g

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
and how did you find this killer deal? how much? why are they selling? any chance you can get it authenticated?

You know what they about deals too good to be true.
It’s listed on Facebook. The price is $700. How would I get it authenticated?

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Mabye it “fell off a truck” and he’s trying to sell it, but when he googled Warn 10s winch, he got pricing on an Evo instead of a Zeon. That would be the best case scenario….

Just make sure you meet somewhere safe, not your house!

OP
OP
mike_g

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
Mabye it “fell off a truck” and he’s trying to sell it, but when he googled Warn 10s winch, he got pricing on an Evo instead of a Zeon. That would be the best case scenario….

Just make sure you meet somewhere safe, not your house!
Yeah it’s a little worrying how low the price is, but people have all kinds of reasons for selling things. He’s about 70 miles from me, but I am going that direction next week for something else. I always opt for a public place when it’s over a couple hundred dollars, and I don’t bring cash.

Sponsored

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Advice buying a winch from private party BBCE0A73-DC39-4BD6-A268-22AB35645F6E

The winch looks rough on the outside so no telling if the internals have issues. Ive never met anybody selling a Zeon because they “moved to another winch”. The Warn Evo VR with steel cable is less then $700 new. You’ll have a warranty and piece of mind.

Last edited:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

It’s listed on Facebook. The price is $700. How would I get it authenticated?
Go look at a new one if you can... take pictures of box, and the winch and stuff inside. Maybe bring someone that has or had a Warn. I would also want to see if it powers up. Maybe hook it to a 12v battery and see if it works?

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
He does roll his buggy with that winch on so, you know he definitely put that winch to good use.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Connections will need to be made to charged battery.

Check all operations.

Grinding noises would indicate internally issues.
Sponsored