Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short. Terrible experience with two $hittybilt 9500 XRC synthetic rope winches from Extreme Terrain.
They are taking care of me in terms of returning it and upgrading. At my price point I have two options. A 9500lb Barricade synthetic rope with wireless controller or a 8000lb Warn VR8-S synthetic rope PLUS $100.

I know Warn is the holy grail but it's only 8000lb vs. the 9500lb of the Barricade. Here are the winches and I would appreciate any advice but please know these are my only two choices. I don't have nay money to throw at this to buy some much more expensive one which I'm sure someone will tell me to buy :)

https://www.extremeterrain.com/warn-vr8s-8000-lb-winch-w-synthetic-rope-1.html
https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-wireless-9500-sr-j101798.html
Sponsored

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have a simple theory. Buy the best (Based on my criteria), once. With that said, I understand budgets and other constraints. I often off road alone, so if I need a winch, it had better work. If it doesn't, there is nobody else around, and my cell phone likely won't have reception. I'm also not yet sold on wireless winch controller. Again, when things go bad, I want as few variables as possible in the recovery.

Given the choices you offer, there is zero doubt in my mind which I would choose. How were those Smittybilt experiences? Go Warn.

Cheers,
James

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
The VR is warns offshore brand and quality has been hit or miss with those winches. Most of their winches now are over priced for what they are, just paying for the w up front
The barricade has some good specs to it, better than the VR’s

9E563F94-077F-44D7-AECF-E329BE728849.jpeg

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
Long story short. Terrible experience with two $hittybilt 9500 XRC synthetic rope winches from Extreme Terrain.
They are taking care of me in terms of returning it and upgrading. At my price point I have two options. A 9500lb Barricade synthetic rope with wireless controller or a 8000lb Warn VR8-S synthetic rope PLUS $100.

I know Warn is the holy grail but it's only 8000lb vs. the 9500lb of the Barricade. Here are the winches and I would appreciate any advice but please know these are my only two choices. I don't have nay money to throw at this to buy some much more expensive one which I'm sure someone will tell me to buy :)

Hey there,

I highly recommend this Quadratec Stealth Winch. This is priced slightly more than that Barricade winch you are looking at $599.99. However, we do offer a Forum discount for forum members. I would be happy to provide you with a quote if you would like to PM me with your address. This winch is a wireless 10K with synthetic rope.

quadratec-q10000is-with-synthetic-winch-line-main.jpg

quadratec-q12000is-with-synthetic-winch-line-upclose-led-on.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/q-performance-stealth-winch

This winch has 4.9 HP series wound waterproof motor with wireless remote control, this winch has a removable clutch lever to prevent anyone stealing the line from it and an amber LED winch spool light strip. Other key features include die cast finned aluminum solenoid housings that dissipate heat, class leading gear ratios for fast line speed, low current draw and either steel or synthetic line options — all topped off by a reassuring IP67 rating meaning the winch is fully waterproof and submersible. All Q-Performance winches include a limited lifetime warranty on mechanical parts and 1-year warranty on electrical components.

I have this on my JK and it works and looks great. I have also seen a bunch of JLs have them also!

if you have any questions about it just let me know, I would be happy to help!

Have a great day,
Hailey

WIJLU

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Hey there,

I highly recommend this Quadratec Stealth Winch. This is priced slightly more than that Barricade winch you are looking at $599.99. However, we do offer a Forum discount for forum members. I would be happy to provide you with a quote if you would like to PM me with your address. This winch is a wireless 10K with synthetic rope.

quadratec-q10000is-with-synthetic-winch-line-main.jpg

quadratec-q12000is-with-synthetic-winch-line-upclose-led-on.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/q-performance-stealth-winch

This winch has 4.9 HP series wound waterproof motor with wireless remote control, this winch has a removable clutch lever to prevent anyone stealing the line from it and an amber LED winch spool light strip. Other key features include die cast finned aluminum solenoid housings that dissipate heat, class leading gear ratios for fast line speed, low current draw and either steel or synthetic line options — all topped off by a reassuring IP67 rating meaning the winch is fully waterproof and submersible. All Q-Performance winches include a limited lifetime warranty on mechanical parts and 1-year warranty on electrical components.

I have this on my JK and it works and looks great. I have also seen a bunch of JLs have them also!

if you have any questions about it just let me know, I would be happy to help!

Have a great day,
Hailey

So...how do we get the Forum discount?

Sponsored

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Regret buying anything from $hittybilt. Big mistake.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
Just get a harbor freight and call it done. I’ve never had one leave me stranded, and the one that I burnt up they replaced with no questions asked.

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
So...how do we get the Forum discount?

For a discounted quote you can go about it 3 ways:

1) PM me back with your first & last name, address, zip and the part numbers you would like to order. I'll reply back with a discounted quote if applicable. This takes 1-2 business days (or less) on average depending on PM volume.

2) E-mail my sales rep Rob at: [email protected] Tell him you're a Forum user and would like a discounted quote. He'll get that going for you. He typically responds within hours if it's Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Eastern.

3) Call my sales line at 1-800-745-2348. Tell them you're a Forum user and would like to place an order with your Forum discount. Their hours are Mon-Thurs 8am-Midnight, Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 9am-5pm.

Whichever you prefer works for us.

Thank you and have a great day!
Hailey

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Stay away from barricade first off it's just extreme terrain house brand i.e. cheap Chinese manufacturer with a sticker. It looks similar to the Smittybilt gen 1 xrc I had which don't last a year of waye use.

Cannot speak for that warn line but they are a winch company so they at least have a rep on the line

I would highly recommend looking at the superwinch tigershark line for that price range, know many who run it no issues, they stand by their products with great support

Superwinch 1595201 Tiger Shark 12V Winch with Aluminum Hawse and Synthetic Rope - 9500 lb. Load Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPP6GTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RdSHCbWAEA8FV

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Stay away from barricade first off it's just extreme terrain house brand i.e. cheap Chinese manufacturer with a sticker. It looks similar to the Smittybilt gen 1 xrc I had which don't last a year of waye use.

Cannot speak for that warn line but they are a winch company so they at least have a rep on the line

I would highly recommend looking at the superwinch tigershark line for that price range, know many who run it no issues, they stand by their products with great support

Superwinch 1595201 Tiger Shark 12V Winch with Aluminum Hawse and Synthetic Rope - 9500 lb. Load Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPP6GTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RdSHCbWAEA8FV
Dang, this is a good deal and has great reviews. Now I'm trying to figure out Super or Engo... lol.

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
Dang, this is a good deal and has great reviews. Now I'm trying to figure out Super or Engo... lol.

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
O.K. I'm a Warn Service Center. Take that extra $100 and grab a VR 10-S, Here's why: You can get smali parts/service kits for the Warn product and the VR 10 has a larger planetary setup. I sell more of those than the VR 8 for durability. Most "price point" Chinese winches are repaired with a trashcan!:giggle:

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
I had a Superwinch on my last Rubicon. It was an EPi9.0. I pulled many people out including 3 in one night as well as pulling a buddy a couple hundred feet uphill until I could get him to a place where I could tow him out. Never had one hiccup. I would've put that Winch up against any. My brother-in-law started calling it the Rescue Rubicon. =)

Jeep 2.jpg
Sponsored