First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
"Heading out and finding what's out there." I'm starting from Orlando, making my way to Vancouver Island via Banff and other Canadian national parks, then heading back to hit some US National Parks such as Glacier, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, and even hit Moab. That's my shortened definition.
Canada finally opened their damn boarders?
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Canada finally opened their damn boarders?
The land boarder into Canada is open for Americans heading north but, according to a 9/17 article in the WSJ, the US has kept it boarder essentially closed to Canadians heading South. The US will allow Canadians to fly to the US however After they obtain a standard COVID test.

of special note is the need for an American heading into Canada to obtain a specific type of COVID test prior to entering Canada. That test is a “molecular“ test (never heard of it until I read the article) and, according to the WSJ, is not readily available in all parts of the US. And there is some kind of Canadian government app that needs to be used where one needs to detail specific plans in case of need to quarantine, among other items.

It is unclear to me what requirements there are for an American to re-enter the States at a land border.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have been seeing more and more US plated vehicles on the roads around here lately.
Finally! I’ve been wanting to do a British Columbia road trip for a long time.

NVM… spoke too soon typical shenanigans

C83C5E4D-238E-4F2D-8B43-0668BC570922.jpeg

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Finally! I’ve been wanting to do a British Columbia road trip for a long time.

NVM… spoke too soon typical shenanigans
I think antibodies should be good enough... I had my booster recently, had Covid twice so far (2nd time was a booster).

Last edited:

Sponsored

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I found 2019 spec sheet from FCA. As others pointed out, I find it strange that a Rubicon with plastic bumpers, soft top, etc can have the same payload as one with heavier accessories. I suspect they are taking the 'worst case' scenario on weight. Anyway, here they, simply broken out by trim level:

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.22.47 PM

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I found 2019 spec sheet from FCA. As others pointed out, I find it strange that a Rubicon with plastic bumpers, soft top, etc can have the same payload as one with heavier accessories. I suspect they are taking the 'worst case' scenario on weight. Anyway, here they, simply broken out by trim level:

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.22.47 PM
Payload is an estimate and varies by manufacturer. Some include full tank of fuel etc. Even if it were a commercial vehicle and subject to actually being weighed in the real word, they look at gvwr. 5,800lbs for a Rubicon, minus actual weight with passengers, is the real payload number. They don't know what you weigh, if you have the hard top on, maybe your doors are off, maybe you removed the spare? Payload is a general guesstimate and couldn't be 100% accurate if they tried. If you are really concerned, load it how you want it and weigh it. That is the only way to know for certain.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

That chart makes no sense, over 11,000 GCVW for a Rubicon? My 2021 has a GVW of 5,800 lbs so that leaves a trailer max at over 5,200 lbs?

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 4x4, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For the overlanders...how are y'all "fitting" your gear on your JL's? I have a JLUR with a max payload of a whopping 850lbs (per sticker). I see videos with racks and RTT's along with plenty of camping gear aboard.

Driver: 180lbs
Passenger: 120lbs
Hardtop: 150lbs (I currently have soft top)
Rack: 100lbs
RTT: 125lbs
Winch: 150lbs
Fridge: 50lbs
-----------
Total: 875lbs (Estimate)

So i'm already exceeding max payload and I don't have camping gear and food added, yet. Thanks!
Have a '21 JLUR. Manual transmission. Plastic bumpers. Ursa Minor camper top. ARB compressor. Home built Goose Gear style Platform, Engle fridge. We are a couple and overlanding through Michigan UP as I write this. Started in eastern NC. Out for three weeks. Lots of gear, clothing food, some tools.

The jeep is overloaded. No question. Probably down 2" in rear. Maybe 1/2" in front. Probably close to 1000lbs but not sure. Will weight it when we get home. A little sway on the road. Would easily bottom out if pushed off road. But still drives great. Stops fine (I remember four wheel drum brakes). Plenty of power on the highway to pass.

No question we need suspension increase. Thinking 2.5" AEV dual sport lift. No desire for bigger tires though will replace the 285/70R 17 with 285/75Rs when the time comes. Will add a winch, dual battery, and aux long range 17 gallon fuel tank. Nothing more.

No desire for technical single purpose rock crawling or 35/37" tires. Just too much weight and requires to many other mods for bigger lift to work correctly.

I think it's important to know what you want your jeep to be able to do. Our desire is isolated self sufficient overlanding. Keep the jeep as stock as we can manage so we maintain lighter weight and max mechanical reliability. Obviously, need to compromise to add the the suspension lift.

I think there is a lot be said for keeping the vehicle light as possible and streamlined. The Ursa Minor has proved to be very aerodynamic. At 70 mph we are getting about 19 mpg.

I have no reservations about what we need to carry regarding GVW. No plans to increase brakes. Might be important if towing a heavy trailer.

I'm not about to tell anyone else what to do. I have been driving 4WD trucks and hauling trailers For 45 years. I have no reservations regarding our set up or plans for off road travel as we envision it. My only advice is if you want maximize reliability of your jeep keep it simple and operate your vehicle in way that is consistent with your philosophy and your Jeep's capabilities.

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 572D765F-EF49-48DC-96CE-F98B9A79FC16

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding D7C5979C-4424-468D-8595-DEC6251C2A8C

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding BEEB67E8-9494-46FB-8A89-79B5CC22C0CA

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 69D88DBB-8796-4ACA-9DDF-6DE4ED866270

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I still think that if you need more capacity you just buy a vehicle that has it. You don't need a Jeep to "overland". My new truck has a 4165lb "payload" sticker. With appropriate tires it will go anywhere you are going take an "overlanding" Wrangler... Think of all the comforts you could haul for your "overlanding" with a two ton payload.:rock:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I still think that if you need more capacity you just buy a vehicle that has it. You don't need a Jeep to "overland". My new truck has a 4165lb "payload" sticker. With appropriate tires it will go anywhere you are going take an "overlanding" Wrangler... Think of all the comforts you could haul for your "overlanding" with a two ton payload.:rock:
I guess it depends on your definition of overlanding trails. Trailrecon ran trails like the Rubicon and slick rock in the Sierra's in some of his videos with full overland kit, roof top tent, full kitchen, etc. While you might be able to get your truck through those trails, it would be way more work than I'm willing to do. The body damage would be nearly unavoidable. I agree if you're just out to run fire roads a full size could work, although I'd go for the maneuverability of a gladiator if that were my use case. The jlu has plenty of payload in my experience and can run much tougher trails than I'd be willing to take the rebel through. A power wagon would be the ultimate max payload overlander in my opinion. Sway bar disco, lockers, solid axles, room for 35's (or 37's depending on who you talk to) stock. Still bigger than I'd want for a lot of trails but definitely more capable than any other 2500/250 on the market. Of course if money were no object, a trx overlander would be awesome. Who doesn't want a 120mph home on wheels they can haul ass across the desert in?

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I guess it depends on your definition of overlanding trails. Trailrecon ran trails like the Rubicon and slick rock in the Sierra's in some of his videos with full overland kit, roof top tent, full kitchen, etc. While you might be able to get your truck through those trails, it would be way more work than I'm willing to do. The body damage would be nearly unavoidable. I agree if you're just out to run fire roads a full size could work, although I'd go for the maneuverability of a gladiator if that were my use case. The jlu has plenty of payload in my experience and can run much tougher trails than I'd be willing to take the rebel through. A power wagon would be the ultimate max payload overlander in my opinion. Sway bar disco, lockers, solid axles, room for 35's (or 37's depending on who you talk to) stock. Still bigger than I'd want for a lot of trails but definitely more capable than any other 2500/250 on the market. Of course if money were no object, a trx overlander would be awesome. Who doesn't want a 120mph home on wheels they can haul ass across the desert in?
You and I both know that 99% of these "overlanders" are driving highways and byways barely scratching the surface when it comes to really going "off road". Most are even quick to admit it. Having owned and loaded a Power Wagon up, I would never recommend that, in fact Ram doesn't either, I think the payload is really low and the truck in my experience was extremely dangerous at highway speeds with a load in it. I also never really found it to be capable off road despite the accoutrements it is fitted with. TRX I would do but I would use it like I used my Raptor, as a high speed desert road toy. Most people would be way more comfortable just driving a pick-up with all of their worldly goods to go out camping. The fad of cramming all this stuff into a small vehicle is comical to me. I know there are some who actually fit into a real overlanding category but before it was cool I know lots of people who found even a Unimog was too small for real overlanding adventures...

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You and I both know that 99% of these "overlanders" are driving highways and byways barely scratching the surface when it comes to really going "off road". Most are even quick to admit it. Having owned and loaded a Power Wagon up, I would never recommend that, in fact Ram doesn't either, I think the payload is really low and the truck in my experience was extremely dangerous at highway speeds with a load in it. I also never really found it to be capable off road despite the accoutrements it is fitted with. TRX I would do but I would use it like I used my Raptor, as a high speed desert road toy. Most people would be way more comfortable just driving a pick-up with all of their worldly goods to go out camping. The fad of cramming all this stuff into a small vehicle is comical to me. I know there are some who actually fit into a real overlanding category but before it was cool I know lots of people who found even a Unimog was too small for real overlanding adventures...
Who cares whether most people are "overlanding" or not. Most people that have jeeps don't off-road. If they enjoy their vehicle and are having fun that's the only thing that matters.

A 4x4 truck with a cap is a capable vehicle for sure. But if you add a roof top tent it's not going to fit into most 7' garages. It's also hard to get stuff out of unless you build sliding drawers. We definitely considered it though. A full size truck is a very versatile platform. However, it's not as capable a vehicle as a JLUR which was important to since we operate mostly as single vehicle. A big truck is harder to recover if it gets stuck. It's not as nimble. It uses more fuel. There are not as many accessories available as for a jeep. And, it won't fit into a 20' shipping container. A taco truck might but again you are back to a roof top tent or a ground tent.

Another problem with a full sized truck is the temptation to carry too much gear...which I think most people tend to do. We enjoy simple, light, uncluttered. We like the jeep and they way it maneuvers nimbly. So it's a good fit for us.

There is no one way. There is just the way that's right for you.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Who cares whether most people are "overlanding" or not. Most people that have jeeps don't off-road. If they enjoy their vehicle and are having fun that's the only thing that matters.
Yes, lots of people spending lots of money pretending... I find it comical, that is my prerogative. So I have fun with it too;)

A 4x4 truck with a cap is a capable vehicle for sure. But if you add a roof top tent it's not going to fit into most 7' garages. It's also hard to get stuff out of unless you build sliding drawers. We definitely considered it though. A full size truck is a very versatile platform. However, it's not as capable a vehicle as a JLUR which was important to since we operate mostly as single vehicle. A big truck is harder to recover if it gets stuck. It's not as nimble. It uses more fuel. There are not as many accessories available as for a jeep. And, it won't fit into a 20' shipping container. A taco truck might but again you are back to a roof top tent or a ground tent.

Another problem with a full sized truck is the temptation to carry too much gear...which I think most people tend to do. We enjoy simple, light, uncluttered. We like the jeep and they way it maneuvers nimbly. So it's a good fit for us.

There is no one way. There is just the way that's right for you.
You are slicing some really thin margins there but more power too you. There are precious few places a full size truck can not go that a JLUR can. The JLUR isn't exactly a small vehicle. A full size is no more difficult to recover, exact same principles. Uses more fuel, but carries MUCH more. Plenty of accessories, just open your checkbook, there is no limit to accessorizing either. How many people are actually trying to fit their overlander into a container? Less than 1%? Way less?

Glad it is a good fit for you, enjoy your travels.

I travelled until I found a great spot to set up permanent camp. Vast incredible beauty lies at my doorstep every day. Precludes the need and desire to pack into a cramped space and go look for it...

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
We just departed the Keweenaw Peninsula. We used a 4x4 trail that lead from 8 mile Cliff to Lac Le Belle. Pretty rugged muddy and rock strewn route. Not maintained year round. We had no trouble even with all our gear and an overloaded stock suspension.
Sponsored