Just checked catch can and Wow!!!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I don't think this is a matter of will vs won't void the engine warranty. The dealer cannot strictly say, one way or the other. Certainly they can refuse to perform the work under the warranty, in which case you have to go through Fiat. Irvine Jeep is famous for this.

If the manufacturer can "reasonably" claim that a modification you made to your car has caused or in some way contributed to the failure, then they have cause to refuse your claim and likely will do.
Ford in particular does this. If you have a diesel, you can almost be positive they will void it for using one. Lots of posts on the F150 forums.

Does that mean your local dealer will not perform the work under warranty? No. Of course it doesn't. They may just do the work and get the money back from FCA.
If they want to a-holes about it, they may have grounds to do it.

At the end of the day, it is your personal decision to accept risks in life. If you feel that any real or perceived benefits of a catch can outweigh the possibility of voiding the warranty on the engine, then for you it's worth the risk. If not, then not. Either way, you are the only one who has to deal with it, so no skin off anyone else's backside.
My brother is a service writer for a Chevy dealer. Some guy brought his new Silverado back in for warranty because the computer was fried. The mechanic could not figure out why and it was an expensive repair so Chevy sent down an engineer. After going over everything, they determined it was aftermarket LEDs the guy put in. Needless to say, it was denied and the guy was extremely pissed, and broke!
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Feel free to read up here.
https://consumer.findlaw.com/consum...laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html
When it comes to warranty anything CAN void a warranty. Also it is VERY much on the manufacturer to prove any modification you did caused the failure. Also however they have lots of money to do so if they wish.

I have plenty of examples that would argue for both sides. It is all about the level of risk and modification one is willing to do and be able to sleep at night. I am in the middle. I don’t like doing major motor stuff besides an exhaust or so but other things, bring it on.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Just checked catch can and WOW only 3k miles and almost halfway full. Don't wanna say brand don't think they are a sponsor and I know there is a sponsor that has them. Any catch can is better than nothing. This was with no extreme angles this round.

20190301_181030.jpg

20190301_181229.jpg
I dont know if im supposed to be alarmed or surprised at this? That oil is supposed to make it back i to the engine to be combusted... all you did was buy a part that collects it and now you have to throw it out? Catch can is completely useless.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Feel free to read up here.
https://consumer.findlaw.com/consum...laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html
When it comes to warranty anything CAN void a warranty. Also it is VERY much on the manufacturer to prove any modification you did caused the failure. Also however they have lots of money to do so if they wish.

I have plenty of examples that would argue for both sides. It is all about the level of risk and modification one is willing to do and be able to sleep at night. I am in the middle. I don’t like doing major motor stuff besides an exhaust or so but other things, bring it on.
I love how this is pulled out everytime :CWL:

It all boils down to who has the most money. I'll give you a hint, it ain't you! In my example, it was the LED that caused the computer failure, thereby voiding any warranty.

Edit: that's why I won't change anything unless I let my dealer do it. Well, anything that's electrical that is. At least until my warranty is up.

Last edited:

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I love how this is pulled out everytime :CWL:

It all boils down to who has the most money. I'll give you a hint, it ain't you! In my example, it was the LED that caused the computer failure, thereby voiding any warranty.

Edit: that's why I won't change anything unless I let my dealer do it. Well, anything that's electrical that is. At least until my warranty is up.
Was going to say this exact same thing. I had a guy who worked for one particular dealer tell me point black that they don't care too much about that law. Maybe if it went to court they would lose, but the fact is 95% of the people can't afford the lawyer and the year of back and forth to get it fixed. That guy did quit over moral issues with working there.
Yes.. it was a Jeep dealer.
Being right does not matter. Even if you take it to court and win, you will still be underwater in terms of costs. Dealers know this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know if im supposed to be alarmed or surprised at this? That oil is supposed to make it back i to the engine to be combusted... all you did was buy a part that collects it and now you have to throw it out? Catch can is completely useless.
Combusted and make everything nasty inside the engine I had rather dump it turn it in than burn it in my engine. Read up on catch cans not useless but also not necessary just personal opinion for me.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Do the gas engines on the wranglers have particulate filters? I believe in Europe the 2.0T has a Gas particulate filter (GPF). I know the diesels in CA for sure use a diesel particulate filter.
Anyhow, it may be worth pointing out that the system is designed to re-burn that stuff you see in your catch can. Especially during the regeneration cycle where the mixture needs to be really rich in order to bring the exhaust gas temp up to an extremely high temp to start the burn off in the filter.
These particulate filters are extremely expensive. For a DPF it can range from 2-14k depending on the car. I have no idea what a GPF costs though since they are so new. Not something you want to replace out of warranty.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Combusted and make everything nasty inside the engine I had rather dump it turn it in than burn it in my engine. Read up on catch cans not useless but also not necessary just personal opinion for me.
It doesnt make anything nasty inside the engine dude sorry to say.

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It doesnt make anything nasty inside the engine dude sorry to say.
Ok.. agree to disagree been in many with and without catch cans looked cleaner to me.

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do the gas engines on the wranglers have particulate filters? I believe in Europe the 2.0T has a Gas particulate filter (GPF). I know the diesels in CA for sure use a diesel particulate filter.
Anyhow, it may be worth pointing out that the system is designed to re-burn that stuff you see in your catch can. Especially during the regeneration cycle where the mixture needs to be really rich in order to bring the exhaust gas temp up to an extremely high temp to start the burn off in the filter.
These particulate filters are extremely expensive. For a DPF it can range from 2-14k depending on the car. I have no idea what a GPF costs though since they are so new. Not something you want to replace out of warranty.
Wow that's crazy $$ we don't have those on our JL at least not at this point.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Was watching Kevin & Brittany's YouTube channel Lite Brite. They put one on and in the next video checked theirs and was about this full. I don't believe there is a chack valve in there it would be a bad day to have it completely full then go on some steep trails and have that much liquid dump into top end.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQHpNTD6GxtNe8HanFW8dnw
I don’t watch LiteBrite after their ‘Let’s get lit for the holidays’ video. Not my style. But I’ll take you at your word on the result.

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t watch LiteBrite after their ‘Let’s get lit for the holidays’ video. Not my style. But I’ll take you at your word on the result.
Missed that one. Some of there older stuff can't watch with my son around, but they do bleep the words now that get said.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Missed that one. Some of there older stuff can't watch with my son around, but they do bleep the words now that get said.
It wasn’t a bad video in that regard just annoying in my opinion.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Ok.. agree to disagree been in many with and without catch cans looked cleaner to me.
Fake news
Crank case vapor mixed with a lil EGR can be bad and
You’d be right if the pentistar was direct injection but its not. Fuel does flow on to amd past the intake valves and cleans them because its a multi port setup.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Haha not to mention they getting payed to slap parts on thier rig (first time jeep owners) . And the sheep all buy it...
Sponsored