Sponsored

JL Crash Tests

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Not only that, but you're not a real Jeeper unless Germans are shooting at you.
In Pearl Harbor?

:cwl::cwl::cwl:

:flag:
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you consider that the JKU is 11 model years old, and has removable roof and doors, those crash test scores are actually pretty darned good. I'm impressed.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
I know how crumple zones work on a unibody, but how does it work on the body-on-frame vehicles like the Wrangler?

Are there crupmple zones in the front part of the frame?

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Thanks for sharing your story...

It was a 2015 JLU Freedom Edition (sport with some Rubi features and 17" wheels and a few upgrades.) I don't have any other pics handy. Unfortunately the other guy had crappy insurance company and still not settled from mid-September incident.

This is a good point. They don't crash 100 of each vehicle in each scenario, it is too expensive. So they standardize the tests as much as possible so they can compare vehicles "fairly". But hitting 2 inches further out could produce vastly different results. So looking at real world data where 1000s of each vehicle crash every year, while not "standardized" is good data.

Finally, personal experience matters. My only other serious accident was driving my wife's mazda 323, 18 years ago and cruising along at 55 mph some lady in oncoming lane just doesn't see me and turns left in front of me right as I approach. Her massive LTD station wagon is dented pretty well on the passenger door. My 323 "crumples" right into the driver. It was a difficult extraction (nothing like looking down and seeing pieces of your tibia sticking out of your lower leg.) Several surgeries later and about 3 months later I can barely walk again (with a lot of aftermarket titanium installed.)
Mass matters. If you hit a completely immovable obstacle it will increase your damage, if you hit another vehicle, the little guy gets most of the hurt. If you consider yourself a pretty safe driver (don't text, drive aware and focused, never impaired, etc) then your likelihood in an accident is hitting another car not a tree or house (because houses and trees are not as stupid as other drivers who do stupid things like fall asleep or just not pay attention and hurt you.) So I will pick my vehicle accordingly and appreciate the "nanny" roll bars and other features that saved my life. If safety is my only concern in a vehicle, I don't pick a wrangler. If safety is my only concern, really I should never get in a vehicle at all. But I want a top down experience, and I want to off road a little. I have much fewer PTSD nightmares driving a jeep, and that makes a difference to me.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Good point, The structural improvements made on the JL should improve overall safety, let alone the standard side airbags.

If you consider that the JKU is 11 model years old, and has removable roof and doors, those crash test scores are actually pretty darned good. I'm impressed.

Sponsored

Rad vlad

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A little bit of crash info

Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) unveiled the new Jeep Wrangler for 2018. The new Wrangler (JL) will be produced for some time, along with the past generation Wrangler (JK), both with be 2018 model years. Though the traditional Jeep styling has not strayed far from its roots, the Wrangler (JL) is a very different vehicle.

You will notice that FCA has a full body repair manual for the Wrangler (JL), including sectioning procedures, and material identification. Currently the manual is only available on the paid subscription website www.techauthority.com. The Wrangler (JL) has adopted some new construction materials, with aluminum for the hood, fenders, doors, windshield frame, tail lamp pockets, outer liftgate skin, and transmission support. Theliftgate’s shell is constructed of magnesium, with a FCA warning that states “Magnesium No repairability, replacement of components only.” The majority of the body is made of mild steel with some high strength steels mixed in. The roll bar is made of press hardened steel, and cannot be sectioned. FCA used 1300 MPa steel for the A-pillar reinforcement. The majority of the frame is made-up of high-strength steel.

For a first in Wrangler history, it will come equipped with advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS). The Wrangler (JL) can have blind spot detection, rear cross traffic, park assist, and a rear view camera system. The blind spot sensors are located in the tail lamps, and we are waiting for clarification if calibration is required.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Thank God for side airbags.

A little bit of crash info

Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) unveiled the new Jeep Wrangler for 2018. The new Wrangler (JL) will be produced for some time, along with the past generation Wrangler (JK), both with be 2018 model years. Though the traditional Jeep styling has not strayed far from its roots, the Wrangler (JL) is a very different vehicle.

You will notice that FCA has a full body repair manual for the Wrangler (JL), including sectioning procedures, and material identification. Currently the manual is only available on the paid subscription website www.techauthority.com. The Wrangler (JL) has adopted some new construction materials, with aluminum for the hood, fenders, doors, windshield frame, tail lamp pockets, outer liftgate skin, and transmission support. Theliftgate’s shell is constructed of magnesium, with a FCA warning that states “Magnesium No repairability, replacement of components only.” The majority of the body is made of mild steel with some high strength steels mixed in. The roll bar is made of press hardened steel, and cannot be sectioned. FCA used 1300 MPa steel for the A-pillar reinforcement. The majority of the frame is made-up of high-strength steel.

For a first in Wrangler history, it will come equipped with advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS). The Wrangler (JL) can have blind spot detection, rear cross traffic, park assist, and a rear view camera system. The blind spot sensors are located in the tail lamps, and we are waiting for clarification if calibration is required.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The IIAHS does have a couple of frontal quarter crash test videos of the JL. The JL fender sheered off and the vehicle deflected away from the pylon. The cabin seemed to be intact. The same crash test on the JK shows the fender crunching right into the cabin.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Fell sleep? That is pathetic!

Hope you get all your seeking, no excuse for that...
Meh. I got T-boned by a driver that fell asleep in the opposite lanes and then veered across the highway right into my (driver's side) door. Last thing I thought was I'm screwed, that car is going to come right into the cabin. It was about 8 AM and my wife and I were on the way to a doctor appointment, the other driver was a nurse on her way home. Lord only knows how many hours she'd been working, I know they get worked like dogs. Her car (Accord) just disintegrated - both axles separated and went in different directions and the rest of the car was just littered all over. It was so unrecognizable that when I was reporting it to my insurance agent and they asked me what the other car was I said "Civic" and she said, no, Accord. LOL, I only recognized the Honda badge. To my surprise my Acura ('05 RL) held and nobody was seriously hurt; bumps and bruises and I was sore as shit for a week or 2 but could have been way worse. I didn't hold her any ill will and still don't. Funny thing was since we had just entered Evanston it was their PD that responded. When they asked where we were headed, Evanston Hospital, they had one of the squads give us a ride there. Never rode in the back of a squad before without being in trouble! :)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Weren't older cars generally unsafe as well due to lack of airbags and sufficient restraints rather than lack of crumple zones? I can't imagine a crumple zone being always better than having a steel bar to deflect/absorb impact.
It's a tradeoff. Too much crumple and the passenger compartment and its occupants are directly exposed to that degree of force the vehicular material before it hasn't absorbed.

Too little and you get nearly the entire force of the blow being absorbed by occupants, causing, among other factors, a passenger's brain to hit the inside of their skull at dangerously fast, and potentially life threatening speeds.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The IIAHS does have a couple of frontal quarter crash test videos of the JL. The JL fender sheered off and the vehicle deflected away from the pylon. The cabin seemed to be intact. The same crash test on the JK shows the fender crunching right into the cabin.
Really? Might there be an internet link to such crash test video or at least the data of its results?

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
The JL is already on the road but there are still no crash test results.. what's going on here?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Because magnesium and aluminum are being used, requiring special repair tools and methods, plus an array of sensors, how much will insurance rates go up for collision and comprehensive ? Might be a lot, companies are reeling from heavy flood/fire losses, here's a chance to charge JL owners more..
Anyone with a JL care to chime in on this ? Thanks !

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
With the added safety features including standard side airbags, hopefully rates go down...

Because magnesium and aluminum are being used, requiring special repair tools and methods, plus an array of sensors, how much will insurance rates go up for collision and comprehensive ? Might be a lot, companies are reeling from heavy flood/fire losses, here's a chance to charge JL owners more..
Anyone with a JL care to chime in on this ? Thanks !