Jeep snobbery - RANT

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
You're right, but they will get a "participation" trophy!
It's pretty ironic when Boomers and Gen-X folks talk so much trash against the millennials. After all, it was their shit parenting which produced that generation and they are also the ones who invented the participation trophy... Just sayin' ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, dickheads are evenly spread across all age groups.

However, because they are the first generation that has grown up in the age of the internet, they generally don't shy away from loudly displaying their ignorance. Previous generations are not necessarily smarter, they are more restrained.
Again, not in my experience. There are plenty of grumpy old farts on these and other forums.

I am a Boomer myself; just by a hair —I was born in December of 1963. But I am always amazed to meet folks my age, or older, who seem to have gone through life and learned nothing.

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S, Ducati 899
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty much the same in the motorcycle world. Anyone who has ever rode a sport bike with some skill will tell you the same. My last bike was a Panigale 899 and that thing had more power than I'd ever care to max out.
You come across tools with 1000s who could go straight and fast but couldn't corner to save their lives.

It comes down to the rider/driver and not the machine--always.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I own a Rubicon and have noticed that, just like any other community, there are those Status Warriors that try to act superior to others. Its embarrassing to me that these posers would belittle anyone else. I would never treat anyone like that. Like I said, I own a Rubicon and while on a vacation out west we stopped for the night at a hotel. The couple in front of me arrived in a Rubicon. They were asked the make and model of their vehicle, The clerk asked them if its a wrangler model and they said "No It's A Rubicon".(So Arrogant) I couldn't help myself so I butted in and told the clerk that yes they drive a wrangler, Rubicon is only a trim option, Not a Model. They looked at me and I pointed to my sting grey Rubicon sitting out front and said that ones mine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
One of the nice things of being part of the Jeep community was the feeling of close camaraderie, no matter what Wrangler you drove. I never felt I had to justify to anyone that I drove a Sahara or a 2-door. A Wrangler was a Wrangler and that was that.

Feel free to reply, agree, disagree, joke, flame, share your hypothesis, but please let’s keep it civil.
As you may already know from another forum, we owned a JK Sahara for 7 years. It was my wife's DD and she rarely removed the top or doors because of that. Although it was hers, I was frequently subjected to "mall crawler, pavement princess, etc.," comments about it on that other forum. I started replying that if they were willing to take over the $500/mo payment we would drive it however they wish. That always quieted them down.

She traded that in on a 2020 Bikini Recon back in April. She may never remove the top or doors or spend thousands of dollars in aftermarket stuff but since she's making the $525/mo payment I figure it's her choice. She's quite happy with it and that's all that matters. I haven't heard any mall crawler comments about it so far.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
I've really only seen this online (anonymity brings out the worst in people who wouldn't act like that otherwise), I've yet to meet any Jeeper in real life who wasn't enthusiastic, helpful, and didn't care what you drive so long as you're having fun and not ruining the fun for others.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The couple in front of me arrived in a Rubicon. They were asked the make and model of their vehicle, The clerk asked them if its a wrangler model and they said "No It's A Rubicon".(So Arrogant) I couldn't help myself so I butted in and told the clerk that yes they drive a wrangler, Rubicon is only a trim option, Not a Model. They looked at me and I pointed to my sting grey Rubicon sitting out front and said that ones mine.
Wow. Yea, that's pretty gross lol I honestly can't believe people are like that, especially in person.

Like I said in my first post, I live in an area that's HUGE on jeeps and off roading, and it's NOT a wealthy area at all, but dang are some jeepers just straight up arrogant jerks. Not letting 4-doors into one of the local clubs. It's just absolutely insane and a total turn-off to people like me who love going off road mildly and really want to join a friendly club.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've really only seen this online (anonymity brings out the worst in people who wouldn't act like that otherwise), I've yet to meet any Jeeper in real life who wasn't enthusiastic, helpful, and didn't care what you drive so long as you're having fun and not ruining the fun for others.
That's very true.

It is less about someone being introverted or extroverted; assh*les can be both introverts and extroverts. It is more about the anonymity some people think the Internet gives them.

My rule of thumb is: refrain from posting anything I wouldn't want to say verbally to another person.

In fact, the spoken word rarely stays recorded; the things we post online stay for a very long time.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As you may already know from another forum, we owned a JK Sahara for 7 years. It was my wife's DD and she rarely removed the top or doors because of that. Although it was hers, I was frequently subjected to "mall crawler, pavement princess, etc.," comments about it on that other forum. I started replying that if they were willing to take over the $500/mo payment we would drive it however they wish. That always quieted them down.

She traded that in on a 2020 Bikini Recon back in April. She may never remove the top or doors or spend thousands of dollars in aftermarket stuff but since she's making the $525/mo payment I figure it's her choice. She's quite happy with it and that's all that matters. I haven't heard any mall crawler comments about it so far.
Indeed. We go way back on Wrangler Forums!

Now you can snub those who don't drive a Rubicon... :LOL:

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
We've owned many jeeps from first run XJ's to sport TJ's, a TJ rubi, another LJ Rubi, and the current pairing of my JLUR and the wife's Renegade.

Imo drive what you think works for you. I mostly do backcountry camping - no crawling. Not interested in seeing the tilt gauge max and risking rolling my rig. I have a Rubicon because, having compared it to Sports of both generations, lockers make many washouts and strange occurrences on the trail into stupid-easy situations and that's exactly what I want them to be. Guys who roll with me often have open diffs, and they always make it, too, just with more skinny pedal. Their rigs are just "as good." Personal preference honestly.

In a hypothetical pissing match where usage is the standard of the conversation, I'd think a person who is out in the great outdoors, doing something they think is fun, in whatever Jeep they have, is far more "legit" than a dude with a built Rubicon at the mall. That said, in real life I've met some really cool cats at the mall who love modifying their Jeeps, bought Rubicons because they're the top trim level, and are totally cool with using their Jeep for cruising the pavement. They usually have rad sound systems, too - something that isn't really my thing but I can still say cheers mate, cool stereo. Their money, their jeep.

Snobbery says a helluva lot more about the snob than the person they're snobbin'

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I have seen it over the years. Used to be CJ owners that looked down on other jeeps. When I had a YJ I was told "Real Jeeps have round headlights. That's not a real jeep." Like headlight shape made a difference. Ha! I had AC for sitting in blazing hot traffic with no wind. Then the TJ and I was told "Real Jeeps have leaf springs!" That was an ignorant argument. What was the most popular CJ mod for 4wheeling? Coil sping suspension. I had one from the factory! Well now the old CJs are rare. Most are just piles of iron oxide. I wonder what the old CJ driver would think of my JL Rubicon? Electric lockers and power windows! Heck, I am having a hard time getting used to the power windows in a jeep myself!

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I've been asked a couple of times (in the 3 months I've had my sport s) by guys with heavily modded rubi's why I went the 'cheap' route ($40k + is cheap?). I got their #'s and sent them this:

If a stock sport can do that - do I really need a rubi? There seems to be some that think the sports are wildly less capable then the rubicon - it just ain't so...

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i've noticed a wide range of wrangler drivers from mall crawler to hardcore trail bashers, however i dont think its "down grading" the wrangler image. yes a high percentage of wrangler drivers doesnt understand the true utilitarian of what a wrangler can do. they got it because its cool. most of the wrangler guys around here tends to gravitate to wrangler owners that uses the wrangler for its purpose from everyday driving to weekend trail runs. i do see a group of rubi owners that will never see the trails, hell wont take it out in the snow storm. their only reason in owning a rubi is because its cool. the sahara is a common model that i see because it fits the average joe/jane as there everyday vehicle. nothing wrong with that because it fits them for comfort and winter driving. the sport owners are also a daily driver, but some are used as a second vehicle.

i went with a base model 2 door sport for several reason. i didnt want the bells and whistles and its a great all arounf jeep to start with in building it to my personal taste and set up as multi purpose wrangler. yeah i could go with a rubi, and looked at on but didnt bother getting it. the main reason was the price. dont get me wrong here, i can afford one. i just cant see spending $50k on one. the other reason was that theres way too much bells and whistles on it, even on a base model rubi. with the sport i can add all the necessary stuff like lockers, quick dis connects, winch, etc. by going this route, it will be far cheaper then a rubi.

i've had people come up to me and ask why i got a wrangler and when they found out its a base model sport, they were like wow. then tell me that they have a sahara because they cant live without all the options, but still cant figure out how to use the 4 wheel drive. they dont like the wrangler because it doesnt work well in the snow. the flip side, i've had old timers come up and look my jl and comment on how well that jeep is still keeping the traditional wrangler looks and function of what the wrangler is all about. they also told me that they owned wranglers dated back to the willys.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
This is going to ruffle some feathers, but here it goes nonetheless.

I have owned 9 Wranglers over a 12-year period; a mix of Saharas and Rubicons, 2-doors and 4-doors, soft tops and hardtops, manuals and automatics. I have taken them to the beach, to the mountains, to the desert, to work, to the mall and to National Parks. I have driven them in snow, in the rain, over ice, rocks and sand dunes; in July 120 degrees in Death Valley and in -25 degrees in January in Colorado.

Eight of those Wranglers were JKs. My first one was a 2008 Sahara I bought used: it was a base with a 6-speed manual and a soft top, but I was hooked. At one time I owned two of them side-by-side: one was a 2-door Rubicon for the trails; the other was a 4-door Sahara for long road trips in winter. What I love about Wranglers is that I can pack and go at any time, any time of year, without concern for the terrain or the weather; I just know my Jeep will get me there and back.

My last JK was a top-of-the-line 2018 JKUR Recon. It was the most expensive Wrangler I ever bought but it was a complete disappointment: the assembly quality was terrible; it rattled and squeaked; the body panels were grossly misaligned; the ride was harsh. To make matters worse, my local dealer was a total dickhead with the warranty. Hardly what you would expect from a $52,000 price tag —even after having owned several JKs before. In hindsight, it was a mistake buying that last Rubicon.

When I shopped for a JL I test drove a dozen of them; a mix of Rubicons and Saharas, 2-doors and 4-doors; manual and automatic. I had relocated from California to Washington so I found myself doing less extreme off-roading, but more extreme weather. The availability of Selec-Trac was more appealing than a swaybar disconnect or lockers; and after the harsh ride on that JK Recon, comfort gained importance.

I found a sweet deal on an unsold 2018 Sahara sitting 1,000 miles away. I picked it up almost a year ago: the Selec-Trac is just awesome in the snow; the drive and ride is refined and comfortable; it can tackle the off-road trails around here with ease; the fit-and-finish is excellent, and it’s been totally trouble-free so far. I am tickled happy with it.

However, I find something’s fundamentally changed in the Jeep community with the advent of JL. Perhaps the steep new prices make JLs more “precious.” Or JL is attracting a greater proportion of first-time Jeep buyers who don’t know the Wrangler “code” yet. Or FCA has gone a bit overboard with all the “Jeep imagery” and turned Wrangler into a bit of a status symbol. Whatever the reason, I find it is now common to be looked down upon for not driving the “right” type of Wrangler. I now have to justify at every turn why I drive a Sahara. Some may not even realize it, but Sahara owners regularly get accused of being poor drivers, bad off-roaders, mall crawlers, even poseurs, all because we drive a Sahara. Ironically, half the time we get lectured by Rubicon owners who never even take their Jeeps off-road. I try not to be over sensitive to it, but it is a bit weird.

Do Sport owners get this too?

One of the nice things of being part of the Jeep community was the feeling of close camaraderie, no matter what Wrangler you drove. I never felt I had to justify to anyone that I drove a Sahara or a 2-door. A Wrangler was a Wrangler and that was that.

Feel free to reply, agree, disagree, joke, flame, share your hypothesis, but please let’s keep it civil.
your story reads really really well and I wonder if you in reality haven't been driving volvos all these years :)
Sponsored