Sponsored

Jeep marketing JT as a Wrangler

Deleted member 59498

Ever thought it might be an accident? Just saying.

Some new guy putting the ads together.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD

258_T18A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392, 1979 CJ7
I call it a Scrambler half the time, but I'm getting old.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
A name is just a name. The JLU and the JT are not the same chassis. The JT frame is longer and it has a longer wheelbase. The rear suspension is also different than on the JLU.

Sponsored

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just an error by whoever made the ad, but it's not that bad of an error; like others said, whether they call it such or not, the gladiator IS a wrangler, with an extended frame and a pickup bed. Almost entirely all the same parts other than that. Even the doors are exactly the same as a JLU. Frankly it's a little weird they never called it a Wrangler Gladiator from the get go. Not that I really personally care one way or the other.

For some reason Gladiator drivers hardly ever wave though. They're a different breed I guess.

I rented a Gladiator for a week in Hawaii and enjoyed it. I wouldn't own one myself though, simply because the departure angle is atrocious.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
As a marketing professional for the past ~16 years, I can say with some level of confidence that most likely, this is a mistake.

Creatives (the people who do the visuals) aren't always the nerds that we are. They have access to a library of company photos, each of which typically has a file name like "D14TY56FJI98.jpg" which is gibberish to us, but like a VIN, each character has a meaning.

So the direction for this ad probably said, "Insert D14TY56FJI98.jpg here" and got mis-typed, or it said "Insert yellow Jeep with top off and passengers, driving offroad, horizontal, side view" and the creative grabbed an image.

It sounds absurd that someone wouldn't know the difference, or it wouldn't get caught in the numerous reviews, but it happens all the time. iPhones with Android homescreens, etc. Or funky stock footage that no one realizes is wrong.

Case in point:
1684164045527.png
I used to run a product marketing department. There was a time when it seemed the marketing team was very well staffed with people with subject expertise but less so with people who really understood marketing. So I hired some people with strong experience in marketing, not so much experience in our industry sector. But one of the people I hired generated some collateral where we were trying to explain in words how our new product is beneficial to breast cancer patients but the picture in the brochure showed a CT scan of a brain cancer patient. That was inexcusable despite this person’s protests that they didn’t have any clinical experience and therefore should have been given a Mulligan for the error.

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else get mad at themselves for accidentally waving? I wished there was some way to tell from the front. So I could be a better hater.
I really don't get it...I wave to them on purpose....don't wave to Compass's, Renegades, and Cherokees, but I do wave to JT's

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I would have bought the JT diesel if it didn't come to the Wrangler. I would probably buy a turbo v6 Mojave.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
As a marketing professional for the past ~16 years, I can say with some level of confidence that most likely, this is a mistake.

Creatives (the people who do the visuals) aren't always the nerds that we are. They have access to a library of company photos, each of which typically has a file name like "D14TY56FJI98.jpg" which is gibberish to us, but like a VIN, each character has a meaning.

So the direction for this ad probably said, "Insert D14TY56FJI98.jpg here" and got mis-typed, or it said "Insert yellow Jeep with top off and passengers, driving offroad, horizontal, side view" and the creative grabbed an image.

It sounds absurd that someone wouldn't know the difference, or it wouldn't get caught in the numerous reviews, but it happens all the time. iPhones with Android homescreens, etc. Or funky stock footage that no one realizes is wrong.

Case in point:
1684164045527.png
This is almost definitely the case. My wife owns a digital marketing agency and was handling the digital marketing for a powerboat brand in florida, and one of her team members accidentally grabbed an image from google of the competitors boat, since they just grabbed an image when searching for the brand. Obviously the client was very angry, but hey that's what ya get when you don't supply your marketing team assets.

To further your point also, just because someone might work at Jeep in their marketing department doesn't mean that they care about cars, jeeps or the brand. A lot of people work at automotive companies that don't care about or know about cars, and it's just a job in their field of expertise.

Also sometimes, shit happens. No one is perfect even if they know exactly what they're doing and care.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Are people really that protective about the Wrangler name? Like, who gets to use it? Wow. So exclusive.

But, hell, if it matters, let's get back to basics: Jeep only gets to make one vehicle, always called a CJ. Only one engine and tranny available, no options offered, no aftermarket add ons or mods for sale. Soft top, no doors. That's a jeep.

You want a jeep, you drive this.

What, I dont get to decide that? Who does, then?

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I really don't get it...I wave to them on purpose....don't wave to Compass's, Renegades, and Cherokees, but I do wave to JT's
Gotta wave at the shitbox XJs on 35s tho
Sponsored